    Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)

    Richard
    Richard, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Richard

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    > security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)

    No.

    My camera and cards have been through X-ray equipment six times in three
    different countries so far this year. No problems.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Richard

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Jim Townsend
    <> writes
    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    >> security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)

    >No.
    >
    >My camera and cards have been through X-ray equipment six times in three
    >different countries so far this year. No problems.

    X-rays are OK for flash cards. And dogs aren't a problem either - so
    long as all they do is sniff! ;-)
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Richard

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/13/03 4:42 PM, in article ,
    "Richard" <> wrote:

    > Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    > security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)
    >
    > Richard

    Don't let the dog hike his leg or your card will rust.

    George Kerby, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Richard

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    > security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)
    >
    > Richard

    Not for carry-on baggage (unless the dog BITES it). There is still
    little information on some of the new scanners for baggage, though, so I
    would just carry the cards with me.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 13, 2003
  6. All US airports now examine checked luggage by CT scan, and the amount of
    x-rays is significantly higher than the gate security machines.

    Gate security x-ray machines are pulsed x-rays - think of it as an
    electronic flash, enough x-rays to produce the image on the screen, but only
    for a fraction of a second. The luggage CT scan systems are more like
    photofloods - strong, continuous illumination. I run a radiation
    measurement program and over the last 3 months we have seen a large problem
    arise because some of our people travel and take a dosimeter with them.
    Those who put the dosimeter in a checked-in bag are easy to identify - the
    dosimeter will indicate a dose of 50-200 millirem. Not too much in the
    overall scheme of things, but way beyond the less than 1 millirem we see
    from gate security machines.

    Significance? For film the CT scans are deadly - guaranteed to ruin your
    film, and from our experience, pretty much every bag must be getting a scan.
    For any digital storage, the doses we've seen are still far too low to cause
    any observable effects - all the data I've seen on radiation effects on
    computer chips of all types indicates it takes 100's of thousands of
    millirem or more to hurt them.

    Still, I'll carry my gear rather than turn it over to the baggage smashers.

    Bob in Las Vegas

    Bob & Linda Flood, Aug 14, 2003
  7. Richard <> rouges his lips before he kisses a blackamoor:

    >Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    >security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)

    I've sent Smart Cards with photos on them through the carry-on baggage Xray
    machine with no harmful effects. However, I've read posts on other
    newsgroups which claim that the large Xray machines that the checked
    baggage goes through can screw up photos on digital media.

    I've also walked through the metal detector with 2 Smart Cards in my
    pocket, they didn't set off the alarm.

    The best thing to do, if you're worried about your photos, is to have the
    cards inspected by hand as you go through the metal detector. Instead of
    sending them through on the X-ray belt just hand them to the person who
    tells you to put your keys and change in the little bowl.

    No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird,
    the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
    Michael Palin, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Richard

    Abrasha Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    > security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)
    >
    > Richard

    Yep, the dogs. Watch out for those sniffing dogs. they just love CF cards.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 14, 2003
  9. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any harm to flash cards when passing through airport
    > security,such as x-ray equipment, ,dogs sniffing ..etc. :)
    >
    > Richard

    The inspection for carry-on luggage won't do any damage. But the inspection
    of checked luggage might.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Richard

    WebKatz Guest

    "Bob & Linda Flood" <> wrote in message

    > ...I've seen on radiation effects on
    > computer chips of all types indicates it takes 100's of thousands of
    > millirem or more to hurt them.

    Is the damage cumulative?
    WebKatz, Aug 14, 2003
  11. "WebKatz" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob & Linda Flood" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > ...I've seen on radiation effects on
    > > computer chips of all types indicates it takes 100's of thousands of
    > > millirem or more to hurt them.
    > >

    > Is the damage cumulative?

    Definately. When a person is exposed to small doses of radiation, there may
    be small scale effects on tissue, but the body's immune system responds and
    takes care of it. Computer chips don't heal - repeated runs thru luggage CT
    scanners would eventually have an effect - I don't have any way of
    estimating how many times you could let a card go thru before there would be
    a visible effect.

    Bob in Las Vegas
    Bob & Linda Flood, Aug 15, 2003
  12. Richard

    Abrasha Guest

    Bob & Linda Flood wrote:

    > "WebKatz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bob & Linda Flood" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > ...I've seen on radiation effects on
    > > > computer chips of all types indicates it takes 100's of thousands of
    > > > millirem or more to hurt them.
    > > >

    > > Is the damage cumulative?

    > Definately. When a person is exposed to small doses of radiation, there may
    > be small scale effects on tissue, but the body's immune system responds and
    > takes care of it. Computer chips don't heal - repeated runs thru luggage CT
    > scanners would eventually have an effect - I don't have any way of
    > estimating how many times you could let a card go thru before there would be
    > a visible effect.
    >
    > Bob in Las Vegas

    And you have verifiable data to substantiate this gibberish of course, or are
    you just blowing out the top of your head?

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 15, 2003
  13. "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > Bob & Linda Flood wrote:
    > >
    > > "WebKatz" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Bob & Linda Flood" <> wrote in message

    > > > Is the damage cumulative?

    > > Definately. When a person is exposed to small doses of radiation, there may
    > > be small scale effects on tissue, but the body's immune system responds and
    > > takes care of it. Computer chips don't heal - repeated runs thru luggage CT
    > > scanners would eventually have an effect - I don't have any way of
    > > estimating how many times you could let a card go thru before there would be
    > > a visible effect.
    > >
    > > Bob in Las Vegas

    > And you have verifiable data to substantiate this gibberish of course, or are
    > you just blowing out the top of your head?
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    I agree with what Abrasha has to say about the afore response as to airport
    x-rays harming CF cards. But then I guess Bob would have us keeping them in the
    fridge next to our out of date slide film ? Bob's been reading too many science
    fiction novels of late. They harden IC used in military electronics for
    protection against a strong electromagnetic wave.

    Just my opinion, and it is free so judge for your self.
    WinkenBlinken& Nod, Aug 15, 2003
  14. Richard

    Just Me Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message

    > "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I agree with what Abrasha has to say about the afore response as to airport
    > > x-rays harming CF cards. But then I guess Bob would have us keeping them in

    the
    > > fridge next to our out of date slide film ? Bob's been reading too many

    science
    > > fiction novels of late. They harden IC used in military electronics for
    > > protection against a strong electromagnetic wave.
    > >
    > > Just my opinion, and it is free so judge for your self.
    > >

    > I think you missed a point that Bob mentioned, "I run a radiation measurement

    program and over the
    > last 3 months we have seen a large problem arise because some of our people

    travel and take a
    > dosimeter with them." From this statement, I would suggest he has direct

    knowledge about some of
    > the effects created by airport screening equipment. Can the same be said for

    Abrasha? It is well
    > documented that the effects of X-rays (CT scan) are cumulative on the human

    body. Ever notice the
    > X-ray tech at your doctor's office wears protection or disappears into another

    room when the X-ray
    > is taken?
    >
    > The effects of this equipment on digital storage media is questionable, and it

    is true the military
    > does harden their electronics. However, I don't see my CF having any of the

    shielding required to
    > harden electronic systems that is required on civilian aircraft much less

    military aircraft.
    > Perhaps we shouldn't discount Bob's view just because you think he has read

    too many science fiction
    > novels. Yesteryear's science fiction has too often become today's reality.

    As you said, judge for
    > yourself.

    Did you read what he said, He inferred that the human body repairs itself and
    the CF card suffered from accumulated Radiation. Just backwards of reality.
    Where as the CF card is not harmed as such by the strength of the x-rays used in
    airport screening equipment.
    The military hardening of the electronics is done for a different reason. To
    shield the components form a pulse weapon.
    Just Me, Aug 16, 2003
  15. Richard

    Abrasha Guest

    Jimmy wrote:

    > "WinkenBlinken& Nod" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I agree with what Abrasha has to say about the afore response as to airport
    > > x-rays harming CF cards. But then I guess Bob would have us keeping them in the
    > > fridge next to our out of date slide film ? Bob's been reading too many science
    > > fiction novels of late. They harden IC used in military electronics for
    > > protection against a strong electromagnetic wave.
    > >
    > > Just my opinion, and it is free so judge for your self.
    > >

    > I think you missed a point that Bob mentioned, "I run a radiation measurement program and over the
    > last 3 months we have seen a large problem arise because some of our people travel and take a
    > dosimeter with them." From this statement, I would suggest he has direct knowledge about some of
    > the effects created by airport screening equipment. Can the same be said for Abrasha? It is well
    > documented that the effects of X-rays (CT scan) are cumulative on the human body. Ever notice the
    > X-ray tech at your doctor's office wears protection or disappears into another room when the X-ray
    > is taken?
    >
    > The effects of this equipment on digital storage media is questionable, and it is true the military
    > does harden their electronics. However, I don't see my CF having any of the shielding required to
    > harden electronic systems that is required on civilian aircraft much less military aircraft.
    > Perhaps we shouldn't discount Bob's view just because you think he has read too many science fiction
    > novels. Yesteryear's science fiction has too often become today's reality. As you said, judge for
    > yourself.

    Bob sounds like a guy who trows out the milk carton on August 15, that says
    "Sell by August 14".

    Maybe I should get a dosimeter, the next time I travel with my digital camera.
    Not!

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 16, 2003
  16. "Abrasha" <> wrote in message

    > Bob sounds like a guy who trows out the milk carton on August 15, that

    says
    > "Sell by August 14".
    >
    > Maybe I should get a dosimeter, the next time I travel with my digital

    camera.
    > Not!

    I really like this new practice of the trolls identifying themselves for us
    all.

    You can continue to get your scientific expertise from movies (best referred
    to as Hollywood Gutter Science), and you are certainly free to x-ray your CF
    cards to your heart's content. They're your images - you can do to them
    whatever you want.
    Bob & Linda Flood, Aug 16, 2003
  17. Richard

    > "Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Bob sounds like a guy who trows out the milk carton on August 15, that

    > says
    > > "Sell by August 14".
    > >
    > > Maybe I should get a dosimeter, the next time I travel with my digital

    > camera.
    > > Not!

    > I really like this new practice of the trolls identifying themselves for

    us
    > all.
    >
    > You can continue to get your scientific expertise from movies (best

    referred
    > to as Hollywood Gutter Science), and you are certainly free to x-ray your

    CF
    > cards to your heart's content. They're your images - you can do to them
    > whatever you want.

    I've always carried my photo gear as carry on. This seems to be yet another
    good reason to continue doing so.
    WebKatz, Aug 16, 2003
  18. Richard

    Ron Hunter Guest

    WebKatz wrote:

    > "Bob & Linda Flood" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Abrasha" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Bob sounds like a guy who trows out the milk carton on August 15, that

    >>says
    >>
    >>>"Sell by August 14".
    >>>
    >>>Maybe I should get a dosimeter, the next time I travel with my digital

    >>camera.
    >>
    >>>Not!

    >>I really like this new practice of the trolls identifying themselves for

    > us
    >
    >>all.
    >>
    >>You can continue to get your scientific expertise from movies (best

    > referred
    >
    >>to as Hollywood Gutter Science), and you are certainly free to x-ray your

    > CF
    >
    >>cards to your heart's content. They're your images - you can do to them
    >>whatever you want.
    >>

    > I've always carried my photo gear as carry on. This seems to be yet another
    > good reason to continue doing so.

    The BEST reason to carry your photo equipment as carryon baggage is that
    it is sure to go where YOU go, which can't always be said of checked
    baggage, sadly.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 16, 2003
  19. Richard

    WebKatz Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > WebKatz wrote:

    > > I've always carried my photo gear as carry on. This seems to be yet

    another
    > > good reason to continue doing so.
    > >

    > The BEST reason to carry your photo equipment as carryon baggage is that
    > it is sure to go where YOU go, which can't always be said of checked
    > baggage, sadly.

    True enough. It's probably been 3 years since we've checked anything for
    vacations. And almost every time we fly we hear about lost/damaged bags and
    2-hour waits at the carousel.
    WebKatz, Aug 16, 2003
  20. "WebKatz" <> wrote in message

    > True enough. It's probably been 3 years since we've checked anything for
    > vacations. And almost every time we fly we hear about lost/damaged bags

    and
    > 2-hour waits at the carousel.

    I agree. When I was kid (never mind how long ago that was), baggage
    handlers were known as baggage smashers, and I haven't seen anything in the
    intervening decades to change that. The gate security x-ray machines aren't
    a threat to film or digital storage of any kind unless an item gets put thru
    an extreme number of times (more than I can see happening even in
    unreasonable circumstances). The baggage x-ray will surely fog your film,
    even ISO 50, but probably won't cause problems to digital storage. The real
    risk to your stuff are the baggage smashers. I have never turned over
    camera gear or computer stuff to them, and never will. I also carry on my
    suitcase on the outgoing leg of a trip, but I'll give them my bag of dirty
    laundry for the return trip. If it takes an extra day or two for them to
    deliver a mishandled bag to my house, I can live with that.
    Bob & Linda Flood, Aug 17, 2003