Airport screening - digital damage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, May 6, 2005.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:29:03 GMT, Matt Silberstein wrote:

    > Actually I seem to be wrong about that. I can't find a good source,
    > but it does seem that most of the federal prisoners are for
    > "trafficking" offenses.

    You probably wouldn't be wrong for some non-federal prisoners,
    such as the ones in NY prisons, thanks to the draconian
    "Rockefeller" drug laws. And many of the "traffickers" are low
    level "couriers", not even sellers or users. One such in the new
    recently was a single mother that, desperate for some money, was
    conned into delivering a small package as part of a sting whose
    purpose was to get somebody, anybody, to increase prosecution
    statistics, rather that get traffickers or reduce traffic.

    As for the Rockefeller drug laws, politicians have pledged for
    decades to eliminate at least some of its worst provisions, but none
    of them (including current Gov. Pataki) have made more than token
    attempts. Can't really blame them though. They are, after all,
    nothing more than politicians.

    ASAAR, May 6, 2005

  2. ASAAR

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:29:03 GMT, Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >

    >>Actually I seem to be wrong about that. I can't find a good source,
    >>but it does seem that most of the federal prisoners are for
    >>"trafficking" offenses.

    > You probably wouldn't be wrong for some non-federal prisoners,
    > such as the ones in NY prisons, thanks to the draconian
    > "Rockefeller" drug laws. And many of the "traffickers" are low
    > level "couriers", not even sellers or users. One such in the new
    > recently was a single mother that, desperate for some money, was
    > conned into delivering a small package as part of a sting whose
    > purpose was to get somebody, anybody, to increase prosecution
    > statistics, rather that get traffickers or reduce traffic.
    >
    > As for the Rockefeller drug laws, politicians have pledged for
    > decades to eliminate at least some of its worst provisions, but none
    > of them (including current Gov. Pataki) have made more than token
    > attempts. Can't really blame them though. They are, after all,
    > nothing more than politicians.

    The trouble with drug law enforcement is that no one really WANTS it to
    work. Businesses make money from it, and the amount of money it keeps
    in circulation is amazing. Users sure don't want it controlled, and
    politicians realize that if they stop it, their districts will lose
    billions of dollars of income, and they will lose their sources...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 7, 2005

  3. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 21:35:28 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > The trouble with drug law enforcement is that no one really WANTS it to
    > work. Businesses make money from it, and the amount of money it keeps
    > in circulation is amazing. Users sure don't want it controlled, and
    > politicians realize that if they stop it, their districts will lose
    > billions of dollars of income, and they will lose their sources...

    I agree with most of this except for the "Users sure don't want it
    controlled" part. They'd welcome sensible, rational control. Had
    our bumbling P. wandered through NY when he was (in his own words)
    "young and foolish", he might still be languishing in a NY prison.
    Oh, wait, not him. He's one of the few that knows how to benefit
    from family connections and has the ability to reward the right
    people appropriately. There was a minor scandal that surfaced only
    briefly and was quickly "disappeared" from the news. Some asian
    members of the same organization in prison for the sale/distribution
    of large amounts of hard drugs were mysteriously granted pardons by
    the governor. It was later discovered that the pardons were granted
    to them shortly after their representatives contributed significant
    amounts of money to the governor's reelection campaign. Of course
    HE knew nothing about that.

    ASAAR, May 7, 2005