Airplanes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Oct 25, 2009

  2. tony cooper

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Oct 25, 8:07 pm, rwalker <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:40:27 -0400, tony cooper
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >These two didn't make the cut for the Shoot-In, but I'll link to them
    > >here for the benefit of the people who like images of airplanes:

    > >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane2/6...

    > >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane1/6...

    > The second one looks like a TBM.  What is that first one, a B29?

    Not likely. B29s had four engines and were much much bigger.

    My guess is a poorly rendered depiction of a B25.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Oct 26, 2009

  3. tony cooper

    Twibil Guest

    On Oct 25, 6:38 pm, Nervous Nick <> wrote:

    > > The second one looks like a TBM.  What is that first one, a B29?

    > Not likely.  B29s had four engines and were much much bigger.
    >
    > My guess is a poorly rendered depiction of a B25.

    Nope. Lockheed Ventura WW2 patrol bomber.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Ventura

    Twibil, Oct 26, 2009
  4. tony cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-10-25 15:40:27 -0700, tony cooper
    > <> said:
    >
    >> These two didn't make the cut for the Shoot-In, but I'll link to them
    >> here for the benefit of the people who like images of airplanes:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane2/692398178_PYYty-L.jpg

    > OK.
    >>

    > I give up.
    > It has the twin tail of a B-25, the nose section of an A-20 Havoc,
    > bears a resemblance to the A-26 Invader (they both have single tails.)
    > The closest seems to be the Handley Page Hampden, but that was never
    > used by the US.
    > So I guess this is a case of artistic license.

    Looks to me like the night fighter version of the Lockheed Ventura.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PV-1_night_fighter_VMF(N)-531_1943.jpg

    J. Clarke, Oct 26, 2009
  5. tony cooper

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Oct 26, 12:46 am, Twibil <> wrote:
    > On Oct 25, 6:38 pm, Nervous Nick <> wrote:
    >

    > > > The second one looks like a TBM.  What is that first one, a B29?

    > > Not likely.  B29s had four engines and were much much bigger.

    > > My guess is a poorly rendered depiction of a B25.

    > Nope.  Lockheed Ventura WW2 patrol bomber.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Ventura

    Good call!

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Oct 26, 2009
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:10:18 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    <> wrote:

    >"Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-10-25 15:40:27 -0700, tony cooper <>
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> These two didn't make the cut for the Shoot-In, but I'll link to them
    >>> here for the benefit of the people who like images of airplanes:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane2/692398178_PYYty-L.jpg

    >> OK.
    >>>

    >> I give up.
    >> It has the twin tail of a B-25, the nose section of an A-20 Havoc, bears a
    >> resemblance to the A-26 Invader (they both have single tails.) The closest
    >> seems to be the Handley Page Hampden, but that was never used by the US.
    >> So I guess this is a case of artistic license.

    >No, it's a Lockheed, looks like some sort of military version of the old
    >Electra. I don't know exactly what that would be, however.

    I didn't anticipate the questions about the plane identification.
    Next time I'm in DeLand I'll stop by the Visitor's Center where they
    have a booklet available on the 13 murals on building walls in the
    DeLand downtown. All commemorate some aspect of the history of the
    city. The booklet may identify the planes.

    I did find out, though, that the airplane murals commemorate the Naval
    Air Station that was located in DeLand between 1942 and 1946. I also
    found out that there's a Naval Airstation Museum in DeLand that I
    didn't know about. I'll have to visit there.

    According to Wiki, about the Naval Airstation, "The first planes were
    Lockheed Venturas. They were not here for training, but were
    patrolling the coast of Florida looking for German submarines. When
    the SBD Dauntless dive bombers began to arrive, along with pilots and
    crew members, the "Venturas" were reassigned to Brazil for patrol
    duty. The "SBDs" were planes that were being replaced in the Pacific
    fleet. It was the "SBD" that sank the four Japanese carriers at the
    Battle of Midway."

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 26, 2009
  7. tony cooper

    Twibil Guest

    On Oct 26, 7:24 pm, rwalker <> wrote:

    > Thanks.  I always confuse the B29 and the B25.  Can't ever remember
    > which is the 2 engine, and which is the 4 engine.

    Easy way to remember: with four 2,200 hp engines, only the B-29 was
    big enough to lift and deliver an atomic bomb.

    Twibil, Oct 27, 2009
  8. tony cooper

    Ofnuts Guest

    Twibil wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 7:24 pm, rwalker <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks. I always confuse the B29 and the B25. Can't ever remember
    >> which is the 2 engine, and which is the 4 engine.

    > Easy way to remember: with four 2,200 hp engines, only the B-29 was
    > big enough to lift and deliver an atomic bomb.

    Even easier: 4>2, 29>25

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Oct 27, 2009
  9. tony cooper

    Ofnuts Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:
    > "Ofnuts" <> wrote in message
    >> Twibil wrote:
    >>> Easy way to remember: with four 2,200 hp engines, only the B-29 was
    >>> big enough to lift and deliver an atomic bomb.

    >> Even easier: 4>2, 29>25

    > But 25 > 24, which screws up that method. ;-)

    We are talking about the B29 and B25. We will ignore the B24 for the
    moment:)

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Oct 27, 2009
  10. tony cooper

    Twibil Guest

    Twibil, Oct 27, 2009
  11. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >These two didn't make the cut for the Shoot-In, but I'll link to them
    >here for the benefit of the people who like images of airplanes:
    >
    >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane2/692398178_PYYty-L.jpg
    >
    >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/airplane1/692398156_D4NCU-L.jpg

    I put the above images up a while back, and people were identifying
    the planes. I went back to DeLand and noticed this on the building:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/mural.jpg

    I didn't photograph all of the planes pictured in the mural.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 3, 2009