    I've defaulted the confi and now after it resets, its unaccessable
    after 6 minutes. Can't even ping it. Wondering if I messed something
    up. Anyone esle experiance this?

    cmg2005, Jun 2, 2005

  2. cmg2005

    Uli Link Guest

    cmg2005 schrieb:

    > I just got done upgrading the software in a Aironet 1100 access point.
    > I've defaulted the confi and now after it resets, its unaccessable
    > after 6 minutes. Can't even ping it. Wondering if I messed something
    > up. Anyone esle experiance this?

    You have set also the IP address to the default behaviour.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Jun 2, 2005

  3. On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:08:51 +0200, Uli Link <> wrote:

    ~ cmg2005 schrieb:
    ~
    ~ > I just got done upgrading the software in a Aironet 1100 access point.
    ~ > I've defaulted the confi and now after it resets, its unaccessable
    ~ > after 6 minutes. Can't even ping it. Wondering if I messed something
    ~ > up. Anyone esle experiance this?
    ~
    ~
    ~ You have set also the IP address to the default behaviour.

    In more detail ... in recent IOS, on console-less wireless APs
    (to wit, the AP1100), with a default configuration (empty
    startup-config), the AP will initially give itself an IP address
    of 10.0.0.1 and meanwhile try getting an address via DHCP. After
    5 minutes, it will stop using the default IP address but will
    continue indefinitely try to acquire an address via DHCP.

    We don't document this stuff too well ... while I'm waiting for
    our doc folks to post the following tech tip, let me just go ahead
    and stick it here for the time being.

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    ---

    DHCP Client Behavior on Unconfigured IOS APs

    This document describes the behavior of the DHCP client in IOS Access
    Points that are not configured (no nvram:startup-config.) The behavior
    varies depending on the AP model (consoleless or consolefull), IOS
    version, link status of the FastEthernet port, DHCP server reachability
    and flash:env_vars contents.

    Pre-12.3(2)JA Behavior

    Prior to 12.3(2)JA (i.e. the integration of CSCef14903), an unconfigured
    IOS AP will initially attempt to acquire an address via DHCP for a brief
    period of time (about 20 seconds.) (See the note on the DHCP client ID
    format <#Note1>.) If it succeeds in acquiring an address, it will
    configure its BVI1 with "ip address dhcp FastEthernet 0" in running-config.

    If the AP does not succeed in acquiring an IP address, it will configure
    its BVI1 with "ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.224". (Or as specified
    in the env_var variables IOS_STATIC_IP_ADDR and IOS_STATIC_NETMASK.) If
    the AP is consoleless (i.e. if it is an AP1100), it will also configure
    itself to be a DHCP server for the range 10.0.0.11 through 10.0.0.30
    (the "mini-DHCP server feature".)

    12.3(2)JA behavior

    With the appearance of CSCef14903 in 12.3(2)JA, the above behavior was
    changed:

    On a unconfigured consolefull AP (e.g. AP1200), the AP will try forever
    to get its IP address from DHCP - it will never give up.

    On an unconfigured consoleless AP1100:

    * AP tries DHCP request up to a maximum of 3 retries
    * DHCP Response Received
    * IP address assigned - "ip address dhcp FastEthernet 0" is
    configured on BVI1 - done

    * If No DHCP Response is received

    * Assign 10.0.0.1 (IOS_STATIC_IP_ADDR) IP address to the BVI interface
    * Start a timer for 5 minutes
    o During this time sysadmin can get into the AP (over
    dot11radio or fast-ethernet interface) and configure the
    AP to whatever the desired IP address on the BVI
    (including dhcp)) and then save the configs. This results
    in the timer that was started to stop and the AP continues
    to operate according to the configurations that were applied.
    * If the 5 minute timer expires - which implies that nobody tried
    to save any configurations on the AP, the AP will automatically
    discard the self assigned IP address of 10.0.0.1 and revert back
    to DHCP for ever.
    * If the sysadmin missed the above 5 minute window, the AP will
    have to powercycled if it is desired to catch that window
    to configure the AP.

    Note that, even in 12.3(2)JA, and even on a consolefull AP, there is
    still a problem where the AP will fail to request its config file via
    TFTP if the DHCP server doesn't respond quickly enough. This is
    CSCef90780 which is integrated in 12.3(2)XT2 and which is targetted for
    12.3(2)JA2.

    Notes.
    [1] Prior to the integration of CSCed87329 in 12.2(15)XR1, the initial
    DHCP request went out with the "ip address dhcp" client ID format, which
    is different (hex 00 followed by a long ASCII string) than the "ip
    address dhcp FastEthernet 0" client ID format (hex 01 followed by
    FastEthernet 0's MAC address.) So the AP would in effect appear to the
    DHCP server as two different clients, first the hex 00 + ASCII one, then
    the hex 01 + MAC one. In 12.2(15)XR1 and above, both the initial and
    the ultimate DHCP requests use the same hex 01 + MAC format.
    Document Feedback <#>Document Tools <#>

    Aaron Leonard, Jun 3, 2005