    suitcase with my clothing.

    Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    cal

    cal, May 21, 2006

  2. cal

    Cynicor Guest

    cal wrote:
    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    > I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    > and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
    > will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
    > suitcase with my clothing.
    >
    > Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    I have always just taken the backpack on as my second bag, then tossed
    any tripods in my checked luggage. Check with your airline to see if
    they will let you carry on a third bag if one is camera gear.

    Cynicor, May 21, 2006

  3. cal

    k-man Guest

    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United. I
    > want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball and King
    > Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which will carry on,
    > I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a suitcase with my
    > clothing.
    >

    > Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > cal

    I often travel with a tripod and backpack full of equipment as well --
    both within the US and internationally, I've always put the tripod
    into a suitcase, partly because I always think that gate security will
    think it's a pipe bomb and partly so that I have don't have to carry
    around a tripod around the airport. As for the backpack, loaded not
    just with a camera body, lenses and a flash but also an iPOD, usb drive
    and sometimes other electronic stuff, sometimes it's searched and
    sometimes it's not. Depends on who's working the x-ray machine at the
    time. My backpack (lowepro mini trekker aw) fits in the overhead bins
    and even right at my feet if necessary. So, taking it onto a plane
    hasn't been a problem.

    Kevin

    k-man, May 21, 2006
  4. cal

    2 Guest

    "cal" <> wrote in message

    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    > I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    > and King Pano.

    You can bring it all on-board, no problem, but you have to be naked.

    2, May 21, 2006
  5. cal

    Mark² Guest

    cal wrote:
    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    > I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    > and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
    > will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
    > suitcase with my clothing.
    >
    > Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    You shouldn't have any problem bring the pack as a carry on.
    I've recently carried on my full LowePro backpack, plus my LowePro Orion as
    a second.
    My tripod goes in the suitcase.

    I had a similar question a few days ago, but only because I'm traveling to
    Ukraine. European carry-on regulations are much more restrictive regarding
    weight. You shouldn't see any trouble at all on United within the US (or
    likely elsewhere). Most of my air domestic air travel has been on United,
    and I've had no problems at all.

    -Mark

    Mark², May 21, 2006
  6. cal <> writes:

    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    > I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    > and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
    > will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
    > suitcase with my clothing.

    Note, if you fly the smaller commuter airlines, note that the carry on space is
    much smaller than if you fly the larger jets. Also, if you get loaded last,
    there may not be that much space. For best results, you should make sure your
    stuff can fit underneath the seat.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, May 21, 2006
  7. cal

    Jim Townsend Guest

    cal wrote:

    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    > I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    > and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
    > will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
    > suitcase with my clothing.
    >
    > Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    I carry my camera and lenses with my carry on luggage.

    I pack my tripod in my check-in suitcase.. (It doesn't fit in my camera
    bag). I like to travel light and don't like lugging a lot of extra 'stuff'
    on planes and around airports. :)

    Jim Townsend, May 21, 2006
  8. cal

    Roger Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:51:30 -0400, cal <> wrote:

    >Hi, folks.
    >
    >I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
    >I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
    >and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
    >will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
    >suitcase with my clothing.
    >
    >Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Years ago I used to fly on company business quite a bit. I purchased
    one of the larger brief cases that will expand. I carried my notes,
    two Nikons, about a dozen rolls of film, and 4 lenses as well as at
    least two changes of clothes, a light weight rain coat, flashlight,
    and spares for any prescriptions which were split between carry one
    and checked luggage.

    I used soft lens cases with two lenses in each separated by two pair
    of socks balled together. The 75 to 300 was so long it had to go into
    one case by itself but it still was cushioned by socks.

    One time when they checked the brief case the guy at the counter was
    amazed at the amount of *stuff* I had in there and particularly the
    socks between the lenses. My comment was that as long as it was
    called a "brief" case I figured I'd use it as one.

    Before they limited carry ons, I had the largest carry on I could
    find. The thing was like a duffle bag with a side carry strap and
    zipper down the side. It was not a fun thing to haul between gates
    when you had little time and your next flight was on the other side of
    the terminal. That thing would just nicely fill one overhead bin.
    Well it would with a bit of work.

    We had landed at Cleveland from Boston (behind schedule) and I was in
    a hurry to catch my commuter flight up here as it was due to leave
    about 5 minutes after we landed. One stu knew I was in a hurry. She
    opened the overhead and grabbed the carry strap. I hollered "don't
    pull", but I was too late. At least I was able to catch most of the
    force but it put her back into the row of seats across the aisle. She
    said that was a bit abrupt if I used it as a method to meet girls.
    (Actually we both ended up in that row of seats) No injuries and I
    was old enough to be her father. Besides when you travel a route a
    lot you sometimes get to know some of the crew.

    Naturally my gate was at the other end of the concourse. They called
    ahead and I head some one holler "We got a runner for Saginaw!". The
    bus out to the commuter had already left but they put me on a
    different one that dropped me off. The copilot was on the steps while
    the pilot was leaning out one side of the door and the stu out the
    other. There was only one vacant seat and no smiling faces. Did I
    mention the temperature was about 95 and so was the humidity. The
    inside of that commuter was like a chicken coop at high noon and
    smelled about the same. It sure felt good when they got the engines
    running so the air conditioning came on.

    At least I didn't have to spend the night at Cleveland as the next
    flight wasn't until the next morning.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, May 21, 2006
  9. cal

    simon Guest

    Can't comment for the US - but having just got back from South America...
    I was surprised to see one or two people get away with carrying tripods on
    board...
    I didn't have then confidence to try myself - working on the theory that a
    tripod when extended would make a nice Bat - which could be used to assault
    crew or passengers! It was enough of a worry to me that check in staff would
    see it that way - and that I'd be prevented from carrying it
    so I broke it down and packed it...

    SS

    simon, May 21, 2006
  10. cal

    Joan Guest

    Not to mention the damage it would do if the overhead locker opened
    during flight - and they have been known to do so.

    --
    Joan

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    : Can't comment for the US - but having just got back from South
    America...
    : I was surprised to see one or two people get away with carrying
    tripods on
    : board...
    : I didn't have then confidence to try myself - working on the theory
    that a
    : tripod when extended would make a nice Bat - which could be used to
    assault
    : crew or passengers! It was enough of a worry to me that check in
    staff would
    : see it that way - and that I'd be prevented from carrying it
    : so I broke it down and packed it...
    :
    : SS
    :
    :

    Joan, May 21, 2006
  11. cal

    cal Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:51:30 -0400, cal <> wrote:

    Thanks to all fo you for your experiences and suggestions. I had
    imagined that packing the tripod in a checked suitcase to be a more
    nearly certain way to avoid having it confiscated. Your experiences
    have helped me very much.

    Again thank you all.

    cal

    cal, May 22, 2006