    inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
    undetected.

    Thanks.
    [KS], Jul 8, 2004

  2. [KS]

    Carol Guest

    You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
    Tripods go with the luggage.

    Carol, Jul 8, 2004

  3. [KS]

    Justin Kase Guest

    "[KS]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > After the strict rules for not allowing specific things in the inflight
    > baggage, I am in double mind to take my Manfrotto tripod in my
    > in-flight baggage or store it in my check-in baggage.
    >
    > Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    > inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
    > undetected.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, as long as they are not loaded!!!
    Justin Kase, Jul 8, 2004
  4. [KS]

    Jim Guest

    Ask your airline. When I asked they said no. It was checked and it was
    opend and inspected.

    Jim, Jul 8, 2004
  5. [KS]

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (Jim) wrote:

    > Ask your airline. When I asked they said no. It was checked and it was
    > opend and inspected.
    >
    > "[KS]" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > After the strict rules for not allowing specific things in the inflight
    > > baggage, I am in double mind to take my Manfrotto tripod in my
    > > in-flight baggage or store it in my check-in baggage.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    > > inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
    > > undetected.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    I fly several times a month, mostly on Continental, with a tripod in my
    checked case all the time.

    No problems other then having had the case opened and inspected a few
    times - not necessarily because of the tripod.

    On the other hand, in the past, I frequently carried on light stands
    and/or tripods -without cases - and put them in the overhead. I seemed
    to frequently leave them when in a rush to get to a connecting flight as
    they disappear in the overhead.

    If someone has access to lost and found at the FAA they might find
    several new Bron stands and Foba tripods that I have lost over the years.

    By checking them in I have never lost one or had any refused transit.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Jul 8, 2004
  6. [KS]

    Arthur Small Guest

    Check with TSA. I traveled with a tripod attached to my wheeled camera bag
    to China and Eastern Europe. No problems.
    Arthur Small, Jul 8, 2004
  7. [KS]

    Roger Guest

    I frequently travel with a rollaboard duffle loaded with camera gear
    and a Bogen/Manfrotto Carbon Fiber tripod. I've never had a carry-on
    question. My home base is O'Hare and the tripod has been to Bangkok,
    San Francisco, Portland, and a few others. No guarantees, but I
    haven't had a problem myself.

    I also put it in checked luggage, but that's not locked now.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, Jul 8, 2004
  8. [KS]

    Alan Browne Guest

    [KS] wrote:

    > Hi,
    > After the strict rules for not allowing specific things in the inflight
    > baggage, I am in double mind to take my Manfrotto tripod in my
    > in-flight baggage or store it in my check-in baggage.
    >
    > Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    > inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
    > undetected.

    Forget taking it on board as carry-on in todays environment.

    I've taken my tripod in checked baggage several times. No
    problem. For packing I removed the head and stuffed it in a
    running shoe, and interspesed socks within the leg area of the pod.

    Don't forget what ever tool you might need for reassembly if you
    remove the head (eg: a small blade screwdriver for the three
    tightening screws on the bottom that many manfrotto heads have.
    For a short while you can get away without tightening these, but
    they might vibrate loose and get lost, and the head may come
    loose (unlikely)).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jul 8, 2004
  9. [KS]

    Tomgo1 Guest

    Depends on the AIRPORT
    West Palm beach Fla YES
    Fort Lauderdale Fla NO

    go figure? of course that was last time who knows for the next trip.
    Tomgo1
    Tomgo1, Jul 8, 2004
  10. [KS]

    Doug Payne Guest

    > Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    > inflight baggage?

    In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the airline. It's
    dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass security in Toronto
    with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years. I went so far as to go to
    the security gate before checking in and show them the tripod. The answer was
    "put it in your checked-in baggage, you can't carry it on".
    Doug Payne, Jul 8, 2004
  11. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    Tomgo1 wrote:
    > Depends on the AIRPORT
    > West Palm beach Fla YES
    > Fort Lauderdale Fla NO
    >
    > go figure? of course that was last time who knows for the next trip.
    > Tomgo1

    Wow,
    With all kind of experiences enlisted here, I think I will keep it in
    the checked baggage completely cushioned.

    Asking the airline doesn't really help much. It happened to me one time
    that the airline said it was OK, but the airport security did allow it.
    Luckily, I had a friend drop me off and left the tripod with him to pick
    it up next time.

    Thanks for all your input.
    [KS], Jul 8, 2004
  12. [KS]

    [KS] Guest

    Doug Payne wrote:
    >> Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    >> inflight baggage?

    > In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
    > airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
    > security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
    > I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
    > them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
    > can't carry it on".

    That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
    baggage it is.

    Thanks.
    [KS], Jul 8, 2004
  13. [KS]

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <dBgHc.46780$>,
    "[KS]" <> wrote:

    > Doug Payne wrote:
    > >> Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
    > >> inflight baggage?

    > > In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
    > > airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
    > > security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
    > > I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
    > > them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
    > > can't carry it on".
    > >

    > That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
    > baggage it is.

    What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
    or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
    without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
    sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
    security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

    What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
    empty handed?

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The terrorists aren't
    "winning". Nor are they "on the run". Quite the contrary: They've
    already achieved total victory. Idiotic rules banning a camera tripod as
    a security risk are all the proof of that statement that's needed.

    --
    Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
    See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
    Don Bruder, Jul 8, 2004
  14. On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:48:17 GMT, Don Bruder <> wrote:

    >In article <dBgHc.46780$>,

    >> > In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
    >> > airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
    >> > security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
    >> > I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
    >> > them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
    >> > can't carry it on".
    >> >

    >> That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
    >> baggage it is.

    >What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
    >or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
    >without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
    >sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
    >security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

    None, security risk is not really the issue.

    Let me give a slightly different example. There was a free Lyle Lovett
    concert on the 4th. It was in battery park and we brought a picnic. We
    were not allowed in since we had *forks*. Now remember, this is not an
    airplane, where I can dismantle the window with my fork, this is a
    bloody city park. Somehow I was a threat with this nasty medium sized
    metal fork. So on the 4th of July, to celebrate our freedom and
    independence, we sat across the street. Perhaps a threat to passers
    by, but the people in the park were safe from our nasty fork. (I won't
    even mention my 3" rounded bread knife, your heart may not take the
    threat.)

    Risk reduction is a goal, but not the major one. Or, rather, the risk
    is not hijacking and stuff, the risk is that they will get accused of
    doing nothing. A system which was just as effective that did not
    discomfort people would be worse. By making our lives difficult they
    can claim they are trying hard. And isn't that one of Shrub's claims:
    that doing something, even the bloody stupidly wrong thing, is better
    than questioning the situation?

    >What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
    >empty handed?
    >
    >I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The terrorists aren't
    >"winning". Nor are they "on the run". Quite the contrary: They've
    >already achieved total victory. Idiotic rules banning a camera tripod as
    >a security risk are all the proof of that statement that's needed.

    Not total, but they are winning.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do in order to understand.
    Matt Silberstein, Jul 8, 2004
  15. [KS]

    Frank Pittel Guest

    I had no problem taking a tripod with me in one of my carry on bags in May.

    -------------------
    Frank Pittel, Jul 9, 2004
  16. "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
    > Tripods go with the luggage.

    That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
    more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........
    William Graham, Jul 9, 2004
  17. [KS]

    Mike Guest

    "William Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
    > > Tripods go with the luggage.

    > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
    > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

    With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
    can get three at once.
    Mike, Jul 9, 2004
  18. [KS]

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Don Bruder
    >
    >What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
    >empty handed?

    I'll go thru the security line wearing only a thong, but the day "naked and
    shaved bald" becomes the norm I'm taking the bus :)
    Bill Hilton, Jul 9, 2004
  19. "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > "William Graham" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > > > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
    > > > Tripods go with the luggage.

    > > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
    > > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........
    > >

    > With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
    > can get three at once.

    Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)
    William Graham, Jul 9, 2004
  20. [KS]

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <y9lHc.32166$JR4.1058@attbi_s54>,
    "William Graham" <> wrote:

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "William Graham" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
    > > > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........
    > > >

    > > With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
    > > can get three at once.
    > >

    > Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

    It fits with the logic that any of them are a security risk, anyway! :)

    Don Bruder, Jul 9, 2004