Air NZ website via Telstra: problems?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by OwenWatson, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. OwenWatson

    OwenWatson Guest

    We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
    unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
    (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
    booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
    wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
    policy or something else?

    A traceroute to the site has lots of timeouts. .

    1 2 2 192.168.1.1
    2 12 10 203.96.153.101 pe14-bertha-loopback.paradise.net.nz
    3 17 5 218.101.61.50
    4 28 11 218.101.61.45
    5 36 8 218.101.61.5
    6 35 -1 218.101.61.33 g1-926.u11.pnr.telstraclear.net
    7 Timed out
    8 27 -8 210.55.202.49 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz
    9 30 3 210.55.202.51 v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    10 25 -5 203.96.121.198 airnz-dom.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    11 31 6 162.112.23.11
    12 Timed out
    13 Timed out
    14 Timed out
    15 Timed out
    16 Timed out
    17 Timed out
    18 Timed out
    19 Timed out
    20 Timed out
    21 Timed out
    22 Timed out
    23 Timed out
    24 Timed out
    25 Timed out
    26 Timed out
    27 Timed out
    28 Timed out
    29 Timed out
    30 Timed out
    31 Timed out
    32 Timed out
    OwenWatson, Mar 19, 2007

  2. OwenWatson

    Peter Guest

    OwenWatson wrote:
    > We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
    > unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
    > (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
    > booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain.

    Air NZ website was duff earlier this evening - front page just returned
    rubbish plain text. But it seems to be working ok now.
    This is via Slingshot.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 19, 2007

  3. OwenWatson

    Enkidu Guest

    OwenWatson wrote:
    > We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
    > unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
    > (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
    > booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
    > wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
    > policy or something else?
    >
    > A traceroute to the site has lots of timeouts. .
    >
    > 1 2 2 192.168.1.1
    > 2 12 10 203.96.153.101 pe14-bertha-loopback.paradise.net.nz
    > 3 17 5 218.101.61.50
    > 4 28 11 218.101.61.45
    > 5 36 8 218.101.61.5
    > 6 35 -1 218.101.61.33 g1-926.u11.pnr.telstraclear.net
    > 7 Timed out
    > 8 27 -8 210.55.202.49 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz
    > 9 30 3 210.55.202.51 v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    > 10 25 -5 203.96.121.198 airnz-dom.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
    > 11 31 6 162.112.23.11
    > 12 Timed out
    > 13 Timed out
    > 14 Timed out
    > 15 Timed out
    > 16 Timed out
    > 17 Timed out
    > 18 Timed out
    > 19 Timed out
    > 20 Timed out
    > 21 Timed out
    > 22 Timed out
    > 23 Timed out
    > 24 Timed out
    > 25 Timed out
    > 26 Timed out
    > 27 Timed out
    > 28 Timed out
    > 29 Timed out
    > 30 Timed out
    > 31 Timed out
    > 32 Timed out

    It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
    traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
    web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 19, 2007
  4. OwenWatson

    OwenWatson Guest

    On Mar 19, 9:57 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
    > traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
    > web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

    Thanks. It's just that it's a consistent problem and I'd like to know
    whether to blame TelstraClear or AirNZ.
    OwenWatson, Mar 19, 2007
  5. OwenWatson

    lolinternet Guest

    OwenWatson wrote:
    > We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
    > unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
    > (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
    > booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
    > wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
    > policy or something else?

    Tried another browser?

    The booking system flicks to https, maybe your browser sucks at the SSL.
    lolinternet, Mar 19, 2007
  6. OwenWatson

    OwenWatson Guest

    OwenWatson, Mar 19, 2007
  7. OwenWatson

    OwenWatson Guest

    Tried both Firefox 2, and IE6.

    OwenWatson, Mar 19, 2007
  8. OwenWatson

    Tony Guest

    OwenWatson wrote:
    > We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
    > unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
    > (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
    > booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
    > wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
    > policy or something else?

    TelstraClear and Telecom Peer with each other, its all the other ISP's
    these two demand money from to peer. Those timeouts are normal -

    Tony, Mar 19, 2007
  9. OwenWatson

    Enkidu Guest

    OwenWatson wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 9:57 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
    >> traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
    >> web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

    > Thanks. It's just that it's a consistent problem and I'd like to know
    > whether to blame TelstraClear or AirNZ.

    Ah, in that case try the traceroute when it is working and compare...

    That'd be useful!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 19, 2007
  10. OwenWatson

    OwenWatson Guest

    mmm. . . in the end it was a firewall problem: bypassed the firewall
    (a Surecom router/wireless) and all was sweetness and light.

    I'm still a bit puzzled: there's no problems normally with secure &
    non-secure sites with the firewall, so it's a bit unclear whether it's
    a Surecom problem or a configuration problem. Latest firmware on the
    router.
    OwenWatson, Mar 20, 2007