    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipt...sem/rpsm/oid/146748/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    Thanks.

    QnA, Dec 20, 2006

  2. QnA

    Roy G Guest

    "QnA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You may have seen that BestBuy is selling the latest
    > incarnation of the Aiptek PVR, which shoots 640x480
    > videos and has a big LCD, MP3 player etc. It seems
    > that Circuit City sells a cheaper version of the same thing.
    >
    > The saleswoman at BestBuy doesn't like it. She says
    > that people bring it back complaining of a focusing
    > problem, and I am curious if anyone here has
    > experienced that. However the store doesn't have one
    > on display, so how could I know?
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192
    > http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipt...sem/rpsm/oid/146748/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi.

    Even if you saw one in the shop, how would you know if the AF worked
    properly?

    You might find out by reading up on the Camera on some of the well known
    Review Websites.

    If it is a piece of total crap, it might not get mentioned on any of those
    sites.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 20, 2006

  3. QnA

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 20 Dec 2006 07:31:22 -0800, "QnA" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >You may have seen that BestBuy is selling the latest
    >incarnation of the Aiptek PVR, which shoots 640x480
    >videos and has a big LCD, MP3 player etc. It seems
    >that Circuit City sells a cheaper version of the same thing.
    >
    >The saleswoman at BestBuy doesn't like it. She says
    >that people bring it back complaining of a focusing
    >problem, and I am curious if anyone here has
    >experienced that. However the store doesn't have one
    >on display, so how could I know?
    >
    >http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192
    >http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipt...sem/rpsm/oid/146748/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    >Thanks.

    It's a piece of crap.
    "Aiptek Digital Camcorder with Hard Drive and 2.4" Color LCD "
    Oops, no hard drive; it uses SD and MMC.
    There's no mic, so videos recorded through the lens have no sound.
    Oh, wait: "Digital audio player plays MP3 files; built-in microphone
    for rich, detailed audio." But wait, again; don't they mean "speaker"
    instead of "microphone"? Below this, in Product Details, it clearly
    says no audio sensor. But how can any audio from a speaker of a size
    that will fit on this device deliver "rich, detailed audio"?
    Use it as a PVR? Sure. What will you do with a movie on a SD card?
    It will record SVHS quality. Wow.
    It looks like they used Sigma's team of spec writers: "Enhanced
    8.0-megapixel digital camera with a 5.0-megapixel CMOS sensor for
    stunning detail and clarity in still images; 640 x 480 video
    resolution." 8 MP out of a 5 MP sensor.

    For this, they want $135. AND, they are sold out.
    P. T. Barnum was right (and yes, I know he didn't really say it).
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 20, 2006
  4. QnA

    Roy G Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On 20 Dec 2006 07:31:22 -0800, "QnA" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>You may have seen that BestBuy is selling the latest
    >>incarnation of the Aiptek PVR, which shoots 640x480
    >>videos and has a big LCD, MP3 player etc. It seems
    >>that Circuit City sells a cheaper version of the same thing.
    >>
    >>The saleswoman at BestBuy doesn't like it. She says
    >>that people bring it back complaining of a focusing
    >>problem, and I am curious if anyone here has
    >>experienced that. However the store doesn't have one
    >>on display, so how could I know?
    >>
    >>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192
    >>http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipt...sem/rpsm/oid/146748/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > It's a piece of crap.
    > "Aiptek Digital Camcorder with Hard Drive and 2.4" Color LCD "
    > Oops, no hard drive; it uses SD and MMC.
    > There's no mic, so videos recorded through the lens have no sound.
    > Oh, wait: "Digital audio player plays MP3 files; built-in microphone
    > for rich, detailed audio." But wait, again; don't they mean "speaker"
    > instead of "microphone"? Below this, in Product Details, it clearly
    > says no audio sensor. But how can any audio from a speaker of a size
    > that will fit on this device deliver "rich, detailed audio"?
    > Use it as a PVR? Sure. What will you do with a movie on a SD card?
    > It will record SVHS quality. Wow.
    > It looks like they used Sigma's team of spec writers: "Enhanced
    > 8.0-megapixel digital camera with a 5.0-megapixel CMOS sensor for
    > stunning detail and clarity in still images; 640 x 480 video
    > resolution." 8 MP out of a 5 MP sensor.
    >
    > For this, they want $135. AND, they are sold out.
    > P. T. Barnum was right (and yes, I know he didn't really say it).
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > replace "g" with "a"

    Hi.

    You actually went to the bother of looking this piece of shite up, to find
    its specs, so you could advise. That is going the extra mile, just to be
    helpfull.

    I just said what I did because I had never heard of the maker, and thought
    that if he really wanted to know about it, he would try for a review, and
    then could conclude that it was crap.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 21, 2006
  5. QnA

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:31:29 GMT, "Roy G"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >> On 20 Dec 2006 07:31:22 -0800, "QnA" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>You may have seen that BestBuy is selling the latest
    >>>incarnation of the Aiptek PVR, which shoots 640x480
    >>>videos and has a big LCD, MP3 player etc. It seems
    >>>that Circuit City sells a cheaper version of the same thing.
    >>>
    >>>The saleswoman at BestBuy doesn't like it. She says
    >>>that people bring it back complaining of a focusing
    >>>problem, and I am curious if anyone here has
    >>>experienced that. However the store doesn't have one
    >>>on display, so how could I know?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192
    >>>http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipt...sem/rpsm/oid/146748/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >> It's a piece of crap.
    >> "Aiptek Digital Camcorder with Hard Drive and 2.4" Color LCD "
    >> Oops, no hard drive; it uses SD and MMC.
    >> There's no mic, so videos recorded through the lens have no sound.
    >> Oh, wait: "Digital audio player plays MP3 files; built-in microphone
    >> for rich, detailed audio." But wait, again; don't they mean "speaker"
    >> instead of "microphone"? Below this, in Product Details, it clearly
    >> says no audio sensor. But how can any audio from a speaker of a size
    >> that will fit on this device deliver "rich, detailed audio"?
    >> Use it as a PVR? Sure. What will you do with a movie on a SD card?
    >> It will record SVHS quality. Wow.
    >> It looks like they used Sigma's team of spec writers: "Enhanced
    >> 8.0-megapixel digital camera with a 5.0-megapixel CMOS sensor for
    >> stunning detail and clarity in still images; 640 x 480 video
    >> resolution." 8 MP out of a 5 MP sensor.
    >>
    >> For this, they want $135. AND, they are sold out.
    >> P. T. Barnum was right (and yes, I know he didn't really say it).
    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> replace "g" with "a"

    >Hi.
    >
    >You actually went to the bother of looking this piece of shite up, to find
    >its specs, so you could advise. That is going the extra mile, just to be
    >helpfull.
    >
    >I just said what I did because I had never heard of the maker, and thought
    >that if he really wanted to know about it, he would try for a review, and
    >then could conclude that it was crap.
    >
    >Roy G

    What bothers me more than the fact that it's not really good is the
    fact that they lie so blatently.
    8 MP from a 5 MP sensor?
    I understand that the people this device is aimed at aren't the most
    sophisticated buyers, but that type of blatent false advertisement is
    beyond the pale.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 21, 2006
  6. QnA

    Cgiorgio Guest

    It is true that the Aiptek gadgets do not belong int othe category
    "professional equipment". Some time ago I purchased a printer that came
    bundled with an Aiptek still camera. I took the offer because the printer
    with camera was cheaper than without. To my surprise the 3 MP fix focus
    camera made pretty good pictures and I carried it around quite a bit because
    it is so compact. After a while the battery cover hinge broke, German
    customer service shipped me on the same day a new one without charge,
    without asking for proof of purchase. Tell me a famous name brand
    manufacturer which gives similar good service.

    The manual says do not block the microphone with your finger, so it does
    have one and it can record the sound (monophone).

    Auto focus seems to rely on contrast detection only, so it may have the same
    problems many compact cameras have when trying to focus on something without
    sufficient contrast. I doubt however that you find better ones in this cost
    class. The Sanyo Xacti models are definately better, offer optical zoom and
    also use SD - cards (except the hard disk model), but you get what you pay
    for.

    If some of these cameras have a pixel interpolation program, that is
    obviously not meant for people that use a PC to post - process their
    pictures, but if you want a large print that would otherwise look pixelated
    it might make some sense. Of course you can save some memory card space by
    resizing on your PC.

    Cgiorgio, Dec 21, 2006
  7. QnA

    Guest

    Im sorry but i think your wrong .....This camera DOES have a speaker
    and a microphone. I know because I have it. If you got to the website
    again and click on "VIEW MORE PICTURES" (
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192t)
    you will see that the speaker is on the side of the camera and the
    micrphone is on the top. It HAS a hard drive as well (the internal
    memory may be small (16mb)) but it DOES HAVE a hard drive. For external
    memory the highest you can go is 2 GB. The sound quality is rich for a
    player its size. Its louder than nextel ringtones lolI would say its
    quality is around the same as a PSP's....But for movies i see what you
    mean who would record a whole movie on a sd card. But i enjoy recording
    scenes from movies and clips from tv to my camrera. The quality is
    great when recording stuff from your dvd player or high definition
    television. People always compliment me on how clear the image is when
    im watching playback of clips i recorded from my dvd player. Al l and
    all I would say this is a great camera for its price and for its many
    capabilities. If you dont believe me check out some of the reviews of
    the older model the Aiptek MPVR.

    On Dec 20, 12:02 pm, Bill Funk <> wrote:
    > On 20 Dec 2006 07:31:22 -0800, "QnA" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Hi all,

    > >You may have seen that BestBuy is selling the latest
    > >incarnation of the Aiptek PVR, which shoots 640x480
    > >videos and has a big LCD, MP3 player etc. It seems
    > >that Circuit City sells a cheaper version of the same thing.

    > >The saleswoman at BestBuy doesn't like it. She says
    > >that people bring it back complaining of a focusing
    > >problem, and I am curious if anyone here has
    > >experienced that. However the store doesn't have one
    > >on display, so how could I know?

    > >http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=...
    > >http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aiptek-Digital-Video-Camera-DV5900/sem...

    > >Thanks.It's a piece of crap.

    > "Aiptek Digital Camcorder with Hard Drive and 2.4" Color LCD "
    > Oops, no hard drive; it uses SD and MMC.
    > There's no mic, so videos recorded through the lens have no sound.
    > Oh, wait: "Digital audio player plays MP3 files; built-in microphone
    > for rich, detailed audio." But wait, again; don't they mean "speaker"
    > instead of "microphone"? Below this, in Product Details, it clearly
    > says no audio sensor. But how can any audio from a speaker of a size
    > that will fit on this device deliver "rich, detailed audio"?
    > Use it as a PVR? Sure. What will you do with a movie on a SD card?
    > It will record SVHS quality. Wow.
    > It looks like they used Sigma's team of spec writers: "Enhanced
    > 8.0-megapixel digital camera with a 5.0-megapixel CMOS sensor for
    > stunning detail and clarity in still images; 640 x 480 video
    > resolution." 8 MP out of a 5 MP sensor.
    >
    > For this, they want $135. AND, they are sold out.
    > P. T. Barnum was right (and yes, I know he didn't really say it).
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > replace "g" with "a"- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

    , Dec 22, 2006
  8. QnA

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 21 Dec 2006 16:25:43 -0800, wrote:

    >Im sorry but i think your wrong .....This camera DOES have a speaker
    >and a microphone. I know because I have it. If you got to the website
    >again and click on "VIEW MORE PICTURES" (
    >http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192t)
    >you will see that the speaker is on the side of the camera and the
    >micrphone is on the top.

    In that case, the company is inept (to put it kindly), and can't get
    it right in the specs it provides for marketing purposes.
    >It HAS a hard drive as well (the internal
    >memory may be small (16mb)) but it DOES HAVE a hard drive.

    A 16MB hard drive? Why? 16MB of flash RAM would be less espensive,
    faster, and more robust.
    >For external
    >memory the highest you can go is 2 GB. The sound quality is rich for a
    >player its size. Its louder than nextel ringtones lolI would say its
    >quality is around the same as a PSP's....But for movies i see what you
    >mean who would record a whole movie on a sd card. But i enjoy recording
    >scenes from movies and clips from tv to my camrera. The quality is
    >great when recording stuff from your dvd player or high definition
    >television. People always compliment me on how clear the image is when
    >im watching playback of clips i recorded from my dvd player.

    Well, on a very small LCD screen, the quality needed to look halfway
    decent is less than SVHS. IOW, that's not saying much.
    >Al l and
    >all I would say this is a great camera for its price and for its many
    >capabilities. If you dont believe me check out some of the reviews of
    >the older model the Aiptek MPVR.

    Why?
    Saying this camera, *for its price*, is great is praising with faintly
    heard condemnation.
    The only thing it seems to do that a reasonable P&S of the same price
    won't do is the PVR thing; but why would someone want a SVHS PVR?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 22, 2006
  9. QnA

    John Turco Guest

    wrote:

    > Im sorry but i think your wrong .....This camera DOES have a speaker
    > and a microphone. I know because I have it. If you got to the website
    > again and click on "VIEW MORE PICTURES" (
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7867472&st=aiptek&type=product&id=1142301544192t)
    > you will see that the speaker is on the side of the camera and the
    > micrphone is on the top. It HAS a hard drive as well (the internal
    > memory may be small (16mb)) but it DOES HAVE a hard drive.

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    Hello,

    No, it has 16MB of internal "flash" memory, rather than containing an
    actual electro-mechanical hard disk.

    Such a tiny HDD does exist, however; it's called a "Microdrive" and
    is the size and shape of a standard CF card, but a bit thicker. IBM
    invented it, and later sold the technology to Hitachi (along with the
    rest of its hard drive business).

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 23, 2006