    (I'm using google for this)

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Feb 19, 2007

  2. geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is aioe having problems? I can't connect to any newsgroups.
    > The error message says the server is aioe.
    >
    > Or could it be xtra, or my computer?
    >
    > (I'm using google for this)
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    It could be down from time to time, and can't be expected to last forever
    either.

    What you should be doing is using it as a backup and join a decent ISP
    instead of Xtra.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 20, 2007

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > > Is aioe having problems? I can't connect to any newsgroups.
    > > The error message says the server is aioe.

    > > Or could it be xtra, or my computer?

    > > (I'm using google for this)

    > > Thank you
    > > Geopelia

    > It could be down from time to time, and can't be expected to last forever
    > either.
    >
    > What you should be doing is using it as a backup and join a decent ISP
    > instead of Xtra.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thank you. I'll use google for a while. I just wondered if anyone else
    was having problems.

    I'll wait and see if there is any improvement with xtra and Telecom
    now the woman who stopped the newsgroups is going. They might have a
    good shake-up now. (I wish!).
    It's handy to pay the phone and computer bills together.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Feb 20, 2007
  4. In article <>, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >Is aioe having problems? I can't connect to any newsgroups.
    >The error message says the server is aioe.
    >
    >Or could it be xtra, or my computer?
    >
    >(I'm using google for this)

    It was broken today ... but is now back. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 20, 2007
  5. geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >> > Is aioe having problems? I can't connect to any newsgroups.
    >> > The error message says the server is aioe.

    >> > Or could it be xtra, or my computer?

    >> > (I'm using google for this)

    >> > Thank you
    >> > Geopelia

    >> It could be down from time to time, and can't be expected to last forever
    >> either.
    >>
    >> What you should be doing is using it as a backup and join a decent ISP
    >> instead of Xtra.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Thank you. I'll use google for a while. I just wondered if anyone else
    > was having problems.
    >
    > I'll wait and see if there is any improvement with xtra and Telecom
    > now the woman who stopped the newsgroups is going. They might have a
    > good shake-up now. (I wish!).
    > It's handy to pay the phone and computer bills together.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Slingshot dial up is only paid 4 times a year by direct debit. Phone is
    still monthly from Telecom and not of course on direct debit with those
    bastards.
    When I had ihug for many years it was monthly by direct debit. I still had
    ihug for on a very low plan at the time for 2 years after joing Slingshot.
    Cancelling ihug was easy enough, and then one lets the bank know as well.
    Only thing was I should've left ihug as soon as it was sold to iinet
    Australia a few years earlier.
    Like you sticking with Telecom, sticking with ihug was benefiting ihug a lot
    more than it was benefiting me.

    Gattrung (what ever) wouldn't even have known about the Xtra newsgroups.
    You can thank the manager of Xtra for the dumping of the Xtra news server.

    Making a change for the better isn't that much of a big step as you might
    think. The big thing is the change in email settings, and letting people
    know your new email address by sending them all an email of your change.
    For peace of mind you could stay with Xtra for a couple of months after the
    change before dumping them. It will save you a bit in the long run as well.

    The free news service will probably be back up, but just when is the
    question as it's been down at times before.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 20, 2007
  6. geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >>> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> It could be down from time to time, and can't be expected to last
    >>> forever
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> What you should be doing is using it as a backup and join a decent ISP
    >>> instead of Xtra.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> Thank you. I'll use google for a while. I just wondered if anyone else
    >> was having problems.
    >>
    >> I'll wait and see if there is any improvement with xtra and Telecom
    >> now the woman who stopped the newsgroups is going. They might have a
    >> good shake-up now. (I wish!).
    >> It's handy to pay the phone and computer bills together.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > Slingshot dial up is only paid 4 times a year by direct debit. Phone is
    > still monthly from Telecom and not of course on direct debit with those
    > bastards.
    > When I had ihug for many years it was monthly by direct debit. I still
    > had ihug for on a very low plan at the time for 2 years after joing
    > Slingshot.
    > Cancelling ihug was easy enough, and then one lets the bank know as well.
    > Only thing was I should've left ihug as soon as it was sold to iinet
    > Australia a few years earlier.
    > Like you sticking with Telecom, sticking with ihug was benefiting ihug a
    > lot more than it was benefiting me.
    >
    > Gattrung (what ever) wouldn't even have known about the Xtra newsgroups.
    > You can thank the manager of Xtra for the dumping of the Xtra news server.
    >
    > Making a change for the better isn't that much of a big step as you might
    > think. The big thing is the change in email settings, and letting people
    > know your new email address by sending them all an email of your change.
    > For peace of mind you could stay with Xtra for a couple of months after
    > the change before dumping them. It will save you a bit in the long run as
    > well.
    >
    > The free news service will probably be back up, but just when is the
    > question as it's been down at times before.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thank you. aioe seems to be working again.

    I don't like these direct debits etc. I always pay by cheque.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 20, 2007
  7. geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. I'll use google for a while. I just wondered if anyone else
    >>> was having problems.
    >>>
    >>> I'll wait and see if there is any improvement with xtra and Telecom
    >>> now the woman who stopped the newsgroups is going. They might have a
    >>> good shake-up now. (I wish!).
    >>> It's handy to pay the phone and computer bills together.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> Slingshot dial up is only paid 4 times a year by direct debit. Phone is
    >> still monthly from Telecom and not of course on direct debit with those
    >> bastards.
    >> When I had ihug for many years it was monthly by direct debit. I still
    >> had ihug for on a very low plan at the time for 2 years after joing
    >> Slingshot.
    >> Cancelling ihug was easy enough, and then one lets the bank know as well.
    >> Only thing was I should've left ihug as soon as it was sold to iinet
    >> Australia a few years earlier.
    >> Like you sticking with Telecom, sticking with ihug was benefiting ihug a
    >> lot more than it was benefiting me.
    >>
    >> Gattrung (what ever) wouldn't even have known about the Xtra newsgroups.
    >> You can thank the manager of Xtra for the dumping of the Xtra news
    >> server.
    >>
    >> Making a change for the better isn't that much of a big step as you might
    >> think. The big thing is the change in email settings, and letting people
    >> know your new email address by sending them all an email of your change.
    >> For peace of mind you could stay with Xtra for a couple of months after
    >> the change before dumping them. It will save you a bit in the long run
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> The free news service will probably be back up, but just when is the
    >> question as it's been down at times before.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Thank you. aioe seems to be working again.
    >
    > I don't like these direct debits etc. I always pay by cheque.
    >
    > Geopelia
    > Geopelia

    Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    companies though.
    As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait till
    11:00pm before you can get on the Net.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 20, 2007

  8. >>>

    >> Thank you. aioe seems to be working again.
    >>
    >> I don't like these direct debits etc. I always pay by cheque.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >> Geopelia

    > Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    > companies though.
    > As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait till
    > 11:00pm before you can get on the Net.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    11pm?

    Andrew Lambert, Feb 20, 2007
  9. geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    > companies though.
    > As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait
    > till 11:00pm before you can get on the Net.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I chose this plan because I am usually busy or watching TV between 5 pm and
    11 pm. I can get on then if I want to, but it costs $2.50 an hour.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 20, 2007
  10. geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. aioe seems to be working again.
    >>>
    >>> I don't like these direct debits etc. I always pay by cheque.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>> Geopelia

    >> Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    >> companies though.
    >> As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait
    >> till 11:00pm before you can get on the Net.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > 11pm?

    Any time except between 5 pm and 11 pm. It suits me. $19.90 a month. Between
    5 and 11pm, it costs $2.50 an hour as well.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 20, 2007
  11. geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    >> companies though.
    >> As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait
    >> till 11:00pm before you can get on the Net.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I chose this plan because I am usually busy or watching TV between 5 pm
    > and 11 pm. I can get on then if I want to, but it costs $2.50 an hour.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Pretty expensive option especially after a few years compared to what some
    decent ISPs offer.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 20, 2007
  12. geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Direct debit is fine for some things, I wouldn't trust Telecon and power
    >>> companies though.
    >>> As it is because of the Xtra plan you're on Xtra is forcing you to wait
    >>> till 11:00pm before you can get on the Net.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I chose this plan because I am usually busy or watching TV between 5 pm
    >> and 11 pm. I can get on then if I want to, but it costs $2.50 an hour.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > Pretty expensive option especially after a few years compared to what some
    > decent ISPs offer.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I think I'll wait until somebody gets Broadband working well before making a
    move though. xtra dialup seems reasonably reliable and their Help people are
    good. Let's see what the new Telecom people do.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 21, 2007
  13. geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    snip
    >> > Is aioe having problems? I can't connect to any newsgroups.

    Yes it's been missbehaving for me too, but tonight it's back and appears
    better.

    snip

    > I'll wait and see if there is any improvement with xtra and Telecom

    snip

    If my experiance to day re Broadband IP's is any guide 'don't hold your
    breath'
    (see my post 'Broadband shenanigans'

    Best
    Paul.