AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and Audio

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my answer via
    Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on Giganews... Anyway;

    Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio (mostly from
    movie
    trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.

    I'm at my wits end.

    I can stop the news ticker, and the stock ticker, but I
    can't seem to figure out how to stop the audio portion of these
    advertisemnets.

    Honestly, I don't care if they want to run video up there. I never look at
    it anyway. But the audio has GOT to GO!

    Calling AOL is no help. The following is a transcript from a call I made
    about a
    week ago:

    {phone menu}
    {transfer}
    {transfer}
    {transfer}

    Finally I get a 'live one' on the line who's name is something I can't even
    pronounce, let alone spell, and I pose my query;

    The response? "AOL and AIM are different. There is nothing AOL can do
    about it. You need to contact AIM."

    So I say, "That's kinda funny. AIM has the acronym AOL in it. It's called
    AOL-Instant-Messenger, right? How is it different?"

    The response? "I'm not sure."

    So I say, "Can you give me a contact number for AIM?"

    The response? "AOL is different than AOL Instant Messenger."

    So I say, "Yes, so you've said. Can you give me a contact number for AIM?"

    {pause}

    The response? "I'm sorry sir, but I don't have that information available."

    So I say, "That's OK. You've done enough."

    The response? "Thank you for calling AOL. Is there anything else I can
    help ....

    So I say, {CLICK}

    NOW what am I gonna do to stop AOL from jamming sounds down my throat that I
    never asked for, and have NO (obvious) WAY of turning off?

    Ahh. I know. I'll go to the AIM page www.aim.com. SURELY there will be
    assistance, or a contact number there!

    WRONG!

    The only "contact" I see listed leads to a "Bug Report".

    Fine. That's the way you want it? That's the way you get it.

    So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug report
    to AIM
    after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give accurate
    information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu form. And because
    the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the text boxes, "Describe the
    Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the Problem".

    Under "Describe" I write; "I'm hearing movie trailers I never asked to
    hear, and it distracts from my normal means of communication with others."

    Under "Steps" I write; "Launch AIM"

    No joy.

    I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make it stop?

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003

  2. TJ

    Rob K Guest

    "TJ" wrote in <>
    <snip>

    > I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make it stop?

    If you *must* be on AOL , uninstall the whole messenger and use
    Trillian (free) instead. You'll find it here:
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Cerulean states their product is spy- and adware free.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Dec 5, 2003

  3. TJ

    John Holmes Guest

    TJ came up with this:

> [...]
    >
    > WRONG!
    >
    > The only "contact" I see listed leads to a "Bug Report".
    >
    > Fine. That's the way you want it? That's the way you get it.
    >
    > So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug
    > report to AIM
    > after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give
    > accurate information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu form.
    > And because the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the text
    > boxes, "Describe the Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the
    > Problem".
    >
    > Under "Describe" I write; "I'm hearing movie trailers I never asked
    > to hear, and it distracts from my normal means of communication with
    > others."
    >
    > Under "Steps" I write; "Launch AIM"
    >
    > No joy.
    >
    > I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make it

    AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.
    Dump it, is my advice....

    --
    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Dec 5, 2003
  4. TJ

    Boomer Guest

    Rob K <> wrote in

    > "TJ" wrote in <>
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make
    >> it stop?

    > If you *must* be on AOL , uninstall the whole messenger and use
    > Trillian (free) instead. You'll find it here:
    > http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/
    >
    > Cerulean states their product is spy- and adware free.

    I like it. :)

    Connects to AOL, MSN IM and Yahoo IM.

    Boomer, Dec 5, 2003
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    John Holmes wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > Fine. That's the way you want it? That's the way you get it.
    > >
    > > So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug
    > > report to AIM
    > > after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give
    > > accurate information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu
    > > form. And because the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the
    > > text boxes, "Describe the Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the
    > > Problem".
    > >
    > > Under "Describe" I write; "I'm hearing movie trailers I never asked
    > > to hear, and it distracts from my normal means of communication with
    > > others."
    > >
    > > Under "Steps" I write; "Launch AIM"
    > >
    > > No joy.
    > >
    > > I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make it
    > > stop?
    > >

    > AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.

    Well thought out reply. Thanks. Not.

    > Dump it, is my advice....

    How 'bout I just dump you? Yeah. That'd be better.

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  6. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Rob K wrote:

    > "TJ" wrote in <>
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > I *MUST* be missing something. Is there SOME simpler way to make
    > > it stop?

    > If you *must* be on AOL , uninstall the whole messenger and use
    > Trillian (free) instead. You'll find it here:
    > http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Ummm. There's no reason for *me* to be "on AOL". In fact? I'm not. I just
    use AIM to communicate with a bunch of folks who are.

    I'll check it out. Thanks!

    > Cerulean states their product is spy- and adware free.

    Cool!

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  7. TJ

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > > AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.
    >
    > Well thought out reply. Thanks. Not.

    Eh, smartass reply, but he might be right. AOL is definitely the biggest
    pile of junk ever, and AIM isn't too far behind.

    > > Dump it, is my advice....

    > How 'bout I just dump you? Yeah. That'd be better.

    Both of you could learn to snip the irrelevant.

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Dec 5, 2003
  8. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Ken Briscoe wrote:

    > > > AOL and AIM are the largest piles if shit ever.

    > > Well thought out reply. Thanks. Not.
    > >

    > Eh, smartass reply, but he might be right. AOL is definitely the
    > biggest pile of junk ever

    Which may or may not be true. Regardless? AOL isn't really *MY* problem,
    is it?

    > and AIM isn't too far behind.

    AIM *IS* my problem. They're TWO DIFFERNET THINGS according to AOL.

    Now? Do you have any advice for me regarding the sound problem I (and I'll
    assume MANY others) have with AIM, or were you too busy snipping out the
    relevant parts?

    > Both of you could learn to snip the irrelevant.

    <snip>

    Better?

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  9. TJ

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Which may or may not be true. Regardless? AOL isn't really *MY*
    problem,
    > is it?

    Fair enough. No, good thing for you, it isn't.

    > AIM *IS* my problem. They're TWO DIFFERNET THINGS according to AOL.

    As you've explained to us. Sucks that AOL won't support it though. It's
    *made* *by* *them*. Sad-sack ISP.

    > Now? Do you have any advice for me regarding the sound problem I (and

    I'll
    > assume MANY others) have with AIM, or were you too busy snipping out the
    > relevant parts?

    You feisty!
    Not to sound too obvious, but you mentioned that you've stopped the news
    ticker, etc. In the same preferences screen, there are "sound" options
    (such as the sound that is played when you IM someone, when someone IMs
    you, when a direct connection is made, etc)...have you turned off all the
    sounds? Or searched for "adversitement sounds" or something similar?

    Short of that, and assuming that AIM's technical help doesn't really help,
    I think that Trillian is probably your best bet. Or look into "DeadAIM"
    (sorry, no link handy, google for it). It's an add-on/plug-in type program
    that allows cloning, tabbed IM windows, and a bunch of other stuff,
    including getting rid of the ads. I don't know if it will work on the sound
    part of the ads, but it definitely gets rid of the video part of the ads on
    the buddy list. So one would think that it works for audio as well. The
    official site now charges a few bucks for the program, but it's worth it.
    With a little digging, you may also be able to find a slightly older
    version - when it was freeware.

    > > Both of you could learn to snip the irrelevant.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Better?

    Much! ;)

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Dec 5, 2003
  10. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Ken Briscoe failed to attribute ANYTHING, and then snipped [without
    indication] everything written previously, yet still managed to scribble:

    > > Which may or may not be true. Regardless? AOL isn't really *MY*
    > > problem, is it?

    > Fair enough. No, good thing for you, it isn't.
    >
    > > AIM *IS* my problem. They're TWO DIFFERNET THINGS according to AOL.

    > As you've explained to us. Sucks that AOL won't support it though.
    > It's *made* *by* *them*. Sad-sack ISP.

    Except for the fact that if anybody walked into the middle of this thread?
    They's have no way of knowing any of the above the way you butchered your
    replies? ...Would they?

    > > Now? Do you have any advice for me regarding the sound problem I
    > > (and I'll assume MANY others) have with AIM, or were you too busy
    > > snipping out the relevant parts?

    > You feisty!

    Damn straight. And I'll get even 'fiestier' should you continue to bitch
    about 'snipping', when you can't seem to attribute, and never indicate where
    snip.

    > Not to sound too obvious, but you mentioned that you've stopped the
    > news ticker, etc. In the same preferences screen, there are "sound"
    > options (such as the sound that is played when you IM someone, when
    > someone IMs you, when a direct connection is made, etc)...have you
    > turned off all the sounds? Or searched for "adversitement sounds" or
    > something similar?

    Yes. As I've said. I've already perused the obvious options. No joy.

    > Short of that, and assuming that AIM's technical help doesn't really
    > help,

    To my knowledge? There IS NO AIM TECHNICAL HELP other than the "report a
    problem" form. Which EVERYBODY would still know about, had you not
    'snipped' it.

    > I think that Trillian is probably your best bet.

    As I've already repied to another. I'll check it out. Thanks.

    NOTE: <SNIP>

    > > > Both of you could learn to snip the irrelevant.

    And YOU could learn to attribute, as well as leave pertinant portions of
    posts alone.

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Better?

    > Much! ;)

    I think so.

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  11. TJ

    trout Guest

    TJ wrote:

    > Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my
    > answer via Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on
    > Giganews... Anyway;
    >
    > Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio (mostly
    > from movie
    > trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.

    <snip>

    This might be more trouble than it's worth, as it apparently needs
    to be done for each session; but I thought it might be worth a mention:
    http://www.oneishy.com/aim_removeads.php
    --
    "I personally have no idea if it works, or not."

    trout, Dec 5, 2003
  12. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my

    answer via
    > Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on Giganews...

    Anyway;

    > Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio (mostly

    from
    > movie
    > trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end.
    >
    > I can stop the news ticker, and the stock ticker, but I
    > can't seem to figure out how to stop the audio portion of these
    > advertisemnets.
    >
    > Honestly, I don't care if they want to run video up there. I never

    look at
    > it anyway. But the audio has GOT to GO!

    <snip>
    > So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug

    report
    > to AIM
    > after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give

    accurate
    > information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu form. And

    because
    > the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the text boxes, "Describe

    the
    > Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the Problem".

    <snip>

    On this page, at the bottom, they suggest installing a patch or
    downgrading.
    http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7443

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  13. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    "bb3" <> wrote in message

    > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my

    > answer via
    > > Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on Giganews...

    > Anyway;
    > >
    > > Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio

    (mostly
    > from
    > > movie
    > > trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.
    > >
    > > I'm at my wits end.
    > >
    > > I can stop the news ticker, and the stock ticker, but I
    > > can't seem to figure out how to stop the audio portion of these
    > > advertisemnets.
    > >
    > > Honestly, I don't care if they want to run video up there. I never

    > look at
    > > it anyway. But the audio has GOT to GO!
    > >

    > <snip>
    > > So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a bug

    > report
    > > to AIM
    > > after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I give

    > accurate
    > > information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down menu form. And

    > because
    > > the problem is (of course) not listed, I use the text boxes,

    "Describe
    > the
    > > Problem" and "Steps needed to Recreate the Problem".
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > On this page, at the bottom, they suggest installing a patch or
    > downgrading.
    > http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7443

    I also found this... http://www.observers.net/aimadfix.html
    I don't use AIM, so I don't know if it works or not, but considering
    your level of frustration it's certainly worth a shot.

    Several more here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?R27134BB6 ... just
    start at the top and work your way down until something works, I guess.

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  14. TJ

    TJ Guest

    bb3 wrote:

    > "bb3" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct places but I can't find my
    > > > answer via Google, nor can I find a newsgroup dedicated to AIM on
    > > > Giganews... Anyway;
    > > >
    > > > Recently AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) has been including audio
    > > > (mostly from movie
    > > > trailers) with the advertisements at the top of the Buddy List.
    > > >
    > > > I'm at my wits end.
    > > >
    > > > I can stop the news ticker, and the stock ticker, but I
    > > > can't seem to figure out how to stop the audio portion of these
    > > > advertisemnets.
    > > >
    > > > Honestly, I don't care if they want to run video up there. I
    > > > never look at it anyway. But the audio has GOT to GO!
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > > > So each and every day, for a nearly a month, I have submitted a
    > > > bug report to AIM
    > > > after reading my morning email. In each and every instance I
    > > > give accurate information, and chose "sound" from the drop-down
    > > > menu form. And because the problem is (of course) not listed, I
    > > > use the text boxes, "Describe the Problem" and "Steps needed to
    > > > Recreate the Problem".
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > On this page, at the bottom, they suggest installing a patch or
    > > downgrading.
    > > http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7443
    > >

    > I also found this... http://www.observers.net/aimadfix.html
    > I don't use AIM, so I don't know if it works or not, but considering
    > your level of frustration it's certainly worth a shot.
    >
    > Several more here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?R27134BB6 ... just
    > start at the top and work your way down until something works, I
    > guess.

    Thank you very much!

    TJ, Dec 5, 2003
  15. TJ

    bb3 Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > bb3 wrote:
    >
    > > "bb3" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "TJ" <> wrote in message

    my

    on

    > > > <snip>
    > > > >
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > On this page, at the bottom, they suggest installing a patch or
    > > > downgrading.
    > > > http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7443
    > > >

    > > I also found this... http://www.observers.net/aimadfix.html
    > > I don't use AIM, so I don't know if it works or not, but considering
    > > your level of frustration it's certainly worth a shot.
    > >
    > > Several more here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?R27134BB6 ... just
    > > start at the top and work your way down until something works, I
    > > guess.

    > Thank you very much!

    You're welcome.

    bb3, Dec 5, 2003
  16. TJ Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:
    > Except for the fact that if anybody walked into the middle of this
    > thread? They's have no way of knowing any of the above the way you
    > butchered your replies? ...Would they?

    <Major snip>

    Sorry to jump into this budding flamefest, but have you considered
    Trillian? I see you use OE as your newsreader so I assume you use a
    Windoze product.

    Trillian works under Windoze and supports MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and
    even IRC. I have it installed on my 2000 server and no sound is
    coming from it. <G>

    HTH, and if you want flames, let me know. I aim to please. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  17. Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  18. Boomer Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <3fd0ebd8$0$31370$>:
    > I like it. :)
    >
    > Connects to AOL, MSN IM and Yahoo IM.

    Yeah. I wish there was a linux port of it. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  19. TJ

    trout Guest

    Thund3rstruck wrote:

    > TJ Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    > <>:
    >> Except for the fact that if anybody walked into the middle of this
    >> thread? They's have no way of knowing any of the above the way you
    >> butchered your replies? ...Would they?

    > <Major snip>
    >
    > Sorry to jump into this budding flamefest, but have you considered
    > Trillian? I see you use OE as your newsreader so I assume you use a
    > Windoze product.

    <snip>

    Pssst. Here's part of the post that you just replied to that you
    snipped out:
    [paste]
    > I think that Trillian is probably your best bet.

    As I've already repied to another. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    [end paste]
    --
    "Fun."

    trout, Dec 6, 2003
  20. TJ

    TJ Guest

    trout wrote:

    > Thund3rstruck wrote:

    > > <Major snip>
    > >
    > > Sorry to jump into this budding flamefest, but have you considered
    > > Trillian? I see you use OE as your newsreader so I assume you use a
    > > Windoze product.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Pssst. Here's part of the post that you just replied to that you
    > snipped out:

    > [paste]
    > > I think that Trillian is probably your best bet.

    > As I've already repied to another. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    > [end paste]

    Thanks trout. I was hoping *somebody* around here could still follow the
    thread after all the snipping. :) Obviously, *you* could.

    And by the way? Trillion seems to work fine!

    NO thanks to you! ;-)

    TJ, Dec 6, 2003