    methos

    here are the links : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    anon, Dec 22, 2003

  2. anon

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "anon" <> wrote in message news:<LZFFb.427202$Dw6.1313556@attbi_s02>...
    > In a rumor first pointed out on Ain't It Cool News, and then buy the Digital
    > bits, apparently New Line Cinema is balking at the price to finish the
    > effects of the EE of ROTK.

    I can't imagine that Jackson would allow it. Sounds like another
    Unsubstantiated Internet Rumor (UIR) to me...

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 22, 2003

  3. anon

    John Guest

    anon wrote:
    > In a rumor first pointed out on Ain't It Cool News, and then buy the Digital
    > bits, apparently New Line Cinema is balking at the price to finish the
    > effects of the EE of ROTK. They might be trying to get an el-cheapo
    > craphouse American company to do the job instead of Jackson's own WETA.
    > This is just a rumor, but if there is any truth to it; we'll let them know
    > right guys? New Line: Give Jackson whatever he needs to due it right.
    > These Extended edition DVDs are milestones in the format, and to deny the
    > greatest film of them all a proper treatment is terrible. And I think
    > making a quarter of a BILLON dollars in 5 days would more then cover it.
    >
    > methos
    >
    > here are the links : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
    since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
    many times over in sales.

    Even if New Line did get cheap on us, Jackson wouldn't allow the stuff
    to be done anywhere else and would probably pay for effects from his own
    wallet.

    John, Dec 23, 2003
  4. anon

    damnfine Guest

    Not in a million years. As if, after taking the gamble in the first place,
    they're going to **** around with their crowning glory now.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    "To disbelieve in the gods is at the same time to

    damnfine, Dec 23, 2003
  5. anon

    Peter Briggs Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
    > since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
    > many times over in sales.

    I CAN imagine that New Line would do it, simply because I know the way
    movie companies work.

    Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    And, remember...New Line have *no obligation* whatsoever to add anything
    further to this franchise, now it has ended. (Would the FX budget be
    recouped any further, than the people who will already buy the ROTK:SE?
    Debatable.)

    Do I think it'll happen? No. New Line want to do business with Jackson
    in the future. They'll bite the bullet, and pay the cash.

    The question is....is WETA at a point where they now can do it? I heard
    there were a significant number of job redundancies recently in the
    pre-Kong lull, as they couldn't keep the staff on payroll until that
    starts up in earnest. (It was great that WETA could take on the ships
    for "Master And Commander", but I wonder how many other productions have
    similarly kept the Workshop open?)

    Peter Briggs, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Peter Briggs wrote:
    > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
    distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

    > Do I think it'll happen? No. New Line want to do business with Jackson
    > in the future. They'll bite the bullet, and pay the cash.

    I think they've shown a lot of class thus far with this franchise, more
    respect than is usual these days for a studio.

    > The question is....is WETA at a point where they now can do it? I heard
    > there were a significant number of job redundancies recently in the
    > pre-Kong lull, as they couldn't keep the staff on payroll until that
    > starts up in earnest. (It was great that WETA could take on the ships
    > for "Master And Commander", but I wonder how many other productions have
    > similarly kept the Workshop open?)

    This slump is just temporary for WETA, they have too many talented
    people to fail. I would not be surprised if in ten years, WETA Digital
    and WETA Workshop are in the place where ILM and Stan Winston are now.
    In my opinion ILM's quality level has been slipping after Jurassic Park,
    the best 3D work they do is equal to the worst 3D work that WETA Digital
    did. I think you'll see WETA leading the FX reins in a decade or so,
    with Digital Domain and Jim Henson's Creature shop doing everything that
    WETA is too busy to do.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 23, 2003
  7. anon

    Jay G Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in ...
    > Peter Briggs wrote:
    > > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    > > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    > Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
    > distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

    FOX owns the original Star Wars movie. It's my understanding
    that FOX funded the SE of Star Wars for it's 20th anniversary.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 23, 2003
  8. anon

    Jim Fraas Guest

    owned.

    Lucas bought all rights back and even tried to pull out the orginal version
    from National film REgistry in favbor of his special edition.
    NFR told Lucas to please **** off (on that matter)

    --
    There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
    It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.

    Jim Fraas, Dec 24, 2003
  9. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:41:28 -0600, "Jay G" <> wrote:

    >"Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in ...
    >> Peter Briggs wrote:
    >> > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    >> > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    >> Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
    >> distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

    >FOX owns the original Star Wars movie. It's my understanding
    >that FOX funded the SE of Star Wars for it's 20th anniversary.
    >
    >-Jay

    I think FOX did pay for the SE effects. The way I remember it is
    that, at the time, Lucas hadn't sold the distribution rights to the
    prequals yet. So FOX offered to pay the production costs for the SEs
    of the original trilogy as a gesture of goodwill, so that Lucas would
    hopefully come to them first when he was ready to find a distributor
    for Episodes 1-3.

    ------------------------------------
    Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
    Can't sleep, clown will eat me.

    Cap'n Lance Trousers, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Peter Briggs wrote:

    > John <> wrote:
    >

    >>I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
    >>since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
    >>many times over in sales.

    > I CAN imagine that New Line would do it, simply because I know the way
    > movie companies work.
    >
    > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
    > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

    Given that Lucas actually owns 2 of these films outright, so would I be
    if I were Fox.

    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 24, 2003
  11. anon

    Jay G Guest

    "Jim Fraas" <> wrote ...

    > Lucas bought all rights back and even tried to pull out the orginal

    version
    > from National film REgistry in favbor of his special edition.
    > NFR told Lucas to please **** off (on that matter)

    Cite? As far as I know, FOX still owns the rights to the first
    Star Wars movie.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 25, 2003