AHCI SATA mode - From Native IDE Mode - Workaround

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by LDJ, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. LDJ

    LDJ Guest

    Hello Anybody!

    If you have installed Windows Vista, with the On Chip SATA Controller
    operating in Native IDE mode (default) in bios, and you decide to change
    to AHCI mode, it's not possible to add the driver. The driver should
    have been added with the option: add storage drivers, during the first
    part of the installation. Changing the BIOS setting to operate in AHCI
    mode simply will give a BSOD when you boot the system again.

    I have found a way to accomplish the change to AHCI mode, after
    the system has been installed:

    1: Change the a registry key, following the guide here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

    This is a copy and past of the text:

    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click
    Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

    After having modified the Registry key, you can go on with the
    installation of the driver:

    2: Open Device Manager, and scroll down to, and highlight storage
    controller.

    Click the Action button, on the Top and select Add New Hardware (on my
    Danish version of Vista, it's called something like "Add Older Hardware"

    When the Guide starts, choose to manually install the HW. You will be
    presented with the option: Show all types.
    Scroll to, and highlight the Storage Controller, click next. In the next
    window, you will have several devices to choose from. Scroll down to
    Microsoft, and in the right panel choose "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" and
    the installation of the driver takes place.

    This is the weird thing that makes it possible to add the AHCI drivers.
    You now have two instances of "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" in device
    manager.

    3: The operation is to highlight the newly added "Microsoft
    iSCSI-initiator", and click "Update Driver Software"
    Choose to manually add the driver instead of automatically search for
    updated driver, and click next. Now add your "F6 drivers"

    Reboot, and change the BIOS setting to AHCI.

    The Short story:

    1.Change registry key
    2.Add new HW (2 pieces of the same "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" driver)
    3.Update the newly added "Microsoft iSCSI-initiator" to "AMD Compatible
    Raid Controller"
    4.Reboot and make the changes in BIOS to configure the SATA controller
    to operate in AHCI mode.
    5. Start your system without getting the BSOD

    I know this is a poor explanation, but I hope someone can use it.

    Kind Regards
    LDJ

    LDJ, Dec 7, 2008

  2. LDJ

    John Hughes Guest

    Is this a Vista specific solution, even though it is posted in the XP Pro
    discussion group? I can't find the msahci registry entry on my system? I
    would appreciate any help.

    --
    jfh

    John Hughes, Dec 17, 2008

  3. LDJ

    John Hughes Guest

    I believe I can answer my own question. These instructions are for Windows
    Vista. On XP Pro x64, I was able to accomplish the same thing by installing
    the AHCI drivers manually from the motherboard vendor's CD, then shutting
    down and changing the bios setting before rebooting into windows. There were
    no manual registry changes needed. I can give more detailed instructions
    should anyone be interested.
    --
    jfh

    John Hughes, Dec 17, 2008
  4. LDJ

    LDJ Guest

    Hello John!

    John Hughes Wrote:

    > I believe I can answer my own question. These instructions are for Windows
    > Vista. On XP Pro x64, I was able to accomplish the same thing by installing
    > the AHCI drivers manually from the motherboard vendor's CD, then shutting
    > down and changing the bios setting before rebooting into windows. There were
    > no manual registry changes needed. I can give more detailed instructions
    > should anyone be interested.

    You are right, It's for Vista, but I assume that people who are running
    Windows Vista 64bit, and want to change From Native IDE Mode to AHCI
    SATA mode drivers, are reading the postings in windows.64bit.general, as
    well as in the Vista newsgroups. I do :)

    I posted the "guide" here, as I feel more comfortable writing in
    64bit.general, than in the Vista newsgroups. Here I see a lot of
    postings from people, whom I have learned to respect through the years,
    from when the microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit started in January
    2004.

    I have found many solutions to problems posted here, and I have
    contributed with a few solutions myself here, and in
    microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit, when it was still running.

    If you google for: AHCI SATA mode - Native IDE Mode, you will get many
    hits with links to explanations on how to accomplish the task (and
    doesn't work)

    Fooling around with nothing else to do :) I stumbled over a solution
    that does work.

    Please give the detailed instructions for WinXP64, they can be handy to
    have for me and others. I have made a "box" for the postings I want to
    keep for future use. I suppose most of you have such a "box"

    Kind Regards
    LDJ

    LDJ, Dec 17, 2008