AGS+ questions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sqrfolkdnc, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. sqrfolkdnc

    sqrfolkdnc Guest

    I have three AGS+ routers in my home museum (at least the cover plates
    say AGS+). Two of them have a PC board above the metal plate at the
    top that is connected only by a ribbon cable and does not plug into the
    bus. The one (#2) without the board is a "minimal" system with only a
    CSC/4 and CSC/ENVM board and a CSC-2E2T board. The others have 5 io
    boards: #3 has FDDI, 6 ethernet and 8 (4+4) token ring, the #1 machine
    is 14 (2+6+6) ethernet and 4 serial. Both #1 & #3 have the CCTL2 board
    to support newer io boards.

    Questions/problems:

    1) units #1 and #3 fail while booting, repeatedly, but after ~60
    minutes (#3) or ~75 minutes (#1), they make it through a boot, and then
    continue to function through reloads, as long as power is maintained.
    If power is turned off, even briefly, they go into a reboot cycles
    again. Is there a solution to this? (maybe question 4 below).
    The followingt error messages are displayed below. I don't think the
    checksome directly causes the reboot, but it may complicat things. The
    cycle for #1 is pretty quick, but that for #3 is very long, it will sit
    with the console idle for a LONG time (I got 164K of console log for #1
    but only 18K of console log for #3):
    #1 Exception: Software forced crash at 0x1385C6 (PC)
    #3 ENVM checksum (47 != 56) at offset 0x1
    #3 Local Timeout (control reg=0x110) Error, address: 0xFFFFFFFF at
    0x2ADAA (PC)

    2) #3 does not recognize the ethernet card, even when I put in the
    ethernet board from the other machine that did work there, it also
    doesn't recognize one of the token ring cards. (see below, I think I
    know the answer to this)

    3) Machine #3 finally boots into rom based ios (ver 10.0). A reload
    command brings it up from flash (ver 11.0). Will jumpers fix this or
    is it booting from rom because it had to reboot several times?

    4) There are 3 (or is it 9?) batteries on the ENV board. Can I replace
    them, or connect a low voltage power supply to them such as a universal
    AC adapter made for portable consumer devices (I would pluf that into a
    ups), and will that solve my problem with failures/reboots when
    powering up?
    OK, I found that I have to configure the CCTL2 for the other boards in
    the ciscobus, that probably explains the boards that were not
    recognized.
    sqrfolkdnc, Sep 13, 2006

  2. sqrfolkdnc

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    "sqrfolkdnc" <> wrote:

    > I have three AGS+ routers in my home museum (at least the cover plates
    > say AGS+). Two of them have a PC board above the metal plate at the
    > top that is connected only by a ribbon cable and does not plug into the
    > bus. The one (#2) without the board is a "minimal" system with only a
    > CSC/4 and CSC/ENVM board and a CSC-2E2T board. The others have 5 io
    > boards: #3 has FDDI, 6 ethernet and 8 (4+4) token ring, the #1 machine
    > is 14 (2+6+6) ethernet and 4 serial. Both #1 & #3 have the CCTL2 board
    > to support newer io boards.

    The small board is an NVRAM or Flash memory board. I know the form
    factor is right for the CSC-MC NVRAM board and wrong for the CSC-MT
    which is a full MCI bus card, but I don't know about the CSC-M or the
    CSC-MC+ (see
    <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps428/prod_eol_notice0900
    aecd8029d3ed.html>)

    It would be odd for it to be a CSC-MC because the ENVM board holds the
    NVRAM for AGS+ systems.

    > Questions/problems:
    >
    > 1) units #1 and #3 fail while booting, repeatedly, but after ~60
    > minutes (#3) or ~75 minutes (#1), they make it through a boot, and then
    > continue to function through reloads, as long as power is maintained.
    > If power is turned off, even briefly, they go into a reboot cycles
    > again. Is there a solution to this? (maybe question 4 below).
    > The followingt error messages are displayed below. I don't think the
    > checksome directly causes the reboot, but it may complicat things. The
    > cycle for #1 is pretty quick, but that for #3 is very long, it will sit
    > with the console idle for a LONG time (I got 164K of console log for #1
    > but only 18K of console log for #3):
    > #1 Exception: Software forced crash at 0x1385C6 (PC)
    > #3 ENVM checksum (47 != 56) at offset 0x1
    > #3 Local Timeout (control reg=0x110) Error, address: 0xFFFFFFFF at
    > 0x2ADAA (PC)

    Not sure about the second #3 but #1 and the first #3 look like software
    corruption of some kind.

    > 2) #3 does not recognize the ethernet card, even when I put in the
    > ethernet board from the other machine that did work there, it also
    > doesn't recognize one of the token ring cards. (see below, I think I
    > know the answer to this)

    The 6*ethernet card (CSC-MEC) is a cBus card and has to go in slots 5,
    6, 8 or 9 with the CSC-CCTL2 board in slot 7. The MCI bus runs to all 9
    slots, the cBus only the bottom 5. There are also two versions of the
    cBus and if you've got really old kit (unlikely with CSC/4s) you have to
    make sure that all the cards are compatible.

    > 3) Machine #3 finally boots into rom based ios (ver 10.0). A reload
    > command brings it up from flash (ver 11.0). Will jumpers fix this or
    > is it booting from rom because it had to reboot several times?

    Flash, eh - that might well be a CSC-MC+ card then. We got rid of our
    AGS+s around 10.3 so I don't know when flash started to be supported or
    how to use it on that type of system. We always used to boot from ROM
    or by TFTP. What do the boot commands in the config say?

    > 4) There are 3 (or is it 9?) batteries on the ENV board. Can I replace
    > them, or connect a low voltage power supply to them such as a universal
    > AC adapter made for portable consumer devices (I would pluf that into a
    > ups), and will that solve my problem with failures/reboots when
    > powering up?

    ISTR it being 3 and them looking like standard AA NiCds. I have no idea
    if they could be replaced or bypassed, but the point is that they're
    there to preserve the NVRAM contents while the power is off - using a
    UPS seems like overkill!

    > OK, I found that I have to configure the CCTL2 for the other boards in
    > the ciscobus, that probably explains the boards that were not
    > recognized.

    You have to install the CCTL2 and the other boards in the right slots
    but there's nothing else to configure on the CCTL2. (There are DIP
    switches to set a "unit number" but I can't remember what they're for
    and the manual I have (Hardware Products Installation Guide, October
    1990) doesn't help, and anyway it only covers the CCTL not the CCTL2).

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Sep 15, 2006