AGP8 card advice needed, not for gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nononono, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Hi,

    I need a new budget AGP8 graphic card, as I have an unreliable
    Matrox 450 in PCI slot at the moment.

    Have TFT 17" capable of 1280x1024 at 75Hz with DVI but would
    like to budget for 1600*1200 as that would be the next step up.
    Another future feature would be TV and HDTV outputs but not as
    a priority. I don’t need dual monitors that badly any more.

    I usually do Photoshop editing and DVD editing and DVD playing.
    I don’t do games apart from some basic ones. I value
    reliability more than performance. Last year card will do if
    reckoned trouble-free. The budget is up to £100 ($150).

    Why ask and not Google? I did Google but all reviews and usenet
    articles I have seen so far were written from gamers point of
    view.

    The system is P4 2.5G, Asus P4P800-E mobo, 1 Gb memory. Nothing
    is overclocked but it could be if needed.

    I use Zalman’s Reserator 1, silent water cooling system for CPU
    cooling (excellent!). They have optional cooler bit for graphic
    card processors, it would be bonus if it can be used with the
    new video card.

    I would value your opinions and experiences.

    Thanks
    ayosha

    PS I see often similar card with 64, 128 or 256 MB, would more
    memory make any difference for me?
    nononono, Oct 26, 2005

  2. nononono

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96FBAE2253FF4onononon@63.218.45.254>, nononono
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a new budget AGP8 graphic card,

    Why do you specify AGP 8 ?
    Why not 4?

    > PS I see often similar card with 64, 128 or 256 MB, would more
    > memory make any difference for me?

    Yes -- you are using apps that use video memory.
    Mitch, Oct 26, 2005

  3. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Hi Mitch,
    That is what it says on the mobo box, AGP 8x.
    Thanks

    Mitch <> wrote in

    nononono, Oct 26, 2005
  4. "nononono" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a new budget AGP8 graphic card, as I have an unreliable
    > Matrox 450 in PCI slot at the moment.
    >
    > Have TFT 17" capable of 1280x1024 at 75Hz with DVI but would
    > like to budget for 1600*1200 as that would be the next step up.
    > Another future feature would be TV and HDTV outputs but not as
    > a priority. I don’t need dual monitors that badly any more.
    >
    > I usually do Photoshop editing and DVD editing and DVD playing.
    > I don’t do games apart from some basic ones. I value
    > reliability more than performance. Last year card will do if
    > reckoned trouble-free. The budget is up to £100 ($150).
    >
    > Why ask and not Google? I did Google but all reviews and usenet
    > articles I have seen so far were written from gamers point of
    > view.
    >
    > The system is P4 2.5G, Asus P4P800-E mobo, 1 Gb memory. Nothing
    > is overclocked but it could be if needed.
    >
    > I use Zalman’s Reserator 1, silent water cooling system for CPU
    > cooling (excellent!). They have optional cooler bit for graphic
    > card processors, it would be bonus if it can be used with the
    > new video card.
    >
    > I would value your opinions and experiences.
    >
    > Thanks
    > ayosha
    >
    > PS I see often similar card with 64, 128 or 256 MB, would more
    > memory make any difference for me?

    You will do better with 1 - 2 GB of system memory and fastest HDD you can
    find (10k RPM) then bothering with a powerful video card. This certainly
    applies for Photoshop.
    Secret Squiddle, Oct 26, 2005
  5. nononono

    The Shed Guest

    "nononono" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mitch,
    > That is what it says on the mobo box, AGP 8x.
    > Thanks
    >

    > Mitch <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <Xns96FBAE2253FF4onononon@63.218.45.254>,
    >> nononono <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I need a new budget AGP8 graphic card,

    >> Why do you specify AGP 8 ?
    >> Why not 4?
    >>
    >>> PS I see often similar card with 64, 128 or 256 MB, would
    >>> more memory make any difference for me?

    >> Yes -- you are using apps that use video memory.

    read the 8x as up to 8x --the board is backwards compatable--a 4x card
    will sit you fine and be considerably cheaper,also as a plus you could
    get a real high end 4x card for little money now as they are now so
    called "obselete"--damn i can remember when 1x agp was tomorrows
    technology!!
    The Shed, Oct 26, 2005
  6. nononono

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The Shed wrote:
    > "nononono" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Mitch,
    >> That is what it says on the mobo box, AGP 8x.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Mitch <> wrote in

    >>> Why do you specify AGP 8 ?
    >>> Why not 4?

    >>> Yes -- you are using apps that use video memory.
    >>>

    > read the 8x as up to 8x --the board is backwards compatable--a 4x card
    > will sit you fine and be considerably cheaper,also as a plus you could
    > get a real high end 4x card for little money now as they are now so
    > called "obselete"--damn i can remember when 1x agp was tomorrows
    > technology!!

    Ah! But think ahead: Windows Vista is on the horizon (pardon the pun <g>)
    and will beg for all the video resources you can throw at it. Read up on the
    specs for Vista, see if the rest of the system will be adequate, then decide
    if you want a card that will be up to the task. Of course, if you don't
    think the system is up to Vista, or you plan on replacing it in a year or
    two, a less expensive option is a good idea.

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Oct 26, 2005
  7. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Thanks to all for taking interest. This isn't about a more
    powerfull card but about replacing my old which is on the blink.
    AGP4X or AGP8X I would't know the difference unless I see it in
    action, and then maybe. So how about some recomentation. I have
    seen it recomended and spit on in the same threads:
    FX5200
    MX4000
    6600GT and more

    Thanks

    nononono, Oct 26, 2005
  8. nononono

    Toolman Tim Guest

    nononono wrote:
    > Thanks to all for taking interest. This isn't about a more
    > powerfull card but about replacing my old which is on the blink.
    > AGP4X or AGP8X I would't know the difference unless I see it in
    > action, and then maybe. So how about some recomentation. I have
    > seen it recomended and spit on in the same threads:
    > FX5200
    > MX4000
    > 6600GT and more

    The FX5200 (IIRC) is the least powerful nVidia solution that is supposed to
    work with the new GUI in Vista. I don't know about the others...but it's not
    hard to find out. Start here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/default.mspx

    Toolman Tim, Oct 26, 2005
  9. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Thanks,

    I am not really interested to get something 100% future-proof,
    as I have to do AGP which looks like to become obsolete.
    Therefore the question of vista is maybe irrelevant as I would
    probably choose to stay with XP.

    In the meantime I found a couple of informative sites that
    would benefit others in the same situation, so there they are:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/index.html

    and

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050302/index.html

    Unfortunately nothing about reliability.

    Another rumour I heard on the web is about bad drivers support
    from ATI as compared to nVidia, but that could be only the
    usual bitching between those two camps.

    Any input about that anybody? But please not the usual war.

    Your opinions are more than welcome, thanks.

    nononono, Oct 27, 2005
  10. nononono

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96FC6449FCADEonononon@63.218.45.254>, nononono
    <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately nothing about reliability.
    >
    > Another rumour I heard on the web is about bad drivers support
    > from ATI as compared to nVidia, but that could be only the
    > usual bitching between those two camps.
    >
    > Any input about that anybody? But please not the usual war.
    >
    > Your opinions are more than welcome, thanks.

    I can't remember anyone talking about video-card reliability in the way
    that you are, which seems to be about software stability. I suspect it
    isn't an issue -- always has to be either a driver issue or
    incompatibility between applications and Windows.
    Mitch, Oct 27, 2005
  11. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for contributing to the thread.

    I have a problematic Matrox 450 which would go funny or freeze
    twice a week. How do I know it is the video card? I swapped or
    changed or tested to death all else. Also it is the screen that
    goes funny and in moments when it is just a little funny I can
    see all else (like heavy downloads from net or rendering or DVD
    playing or all of those) working just fine. Also sometimes
    there would be a hardware failure warning, just readable, and
    it would be video card. Also if I set it to lower resolution
    but faster refresh rate it goes bad within minutes.

    I had over years motherboard failures, HD failures, CP fan
    failures, brand new quality PS unit failure, mouse faults,
    keyboards with dead keys, CRTs with one colour beam missing,
    DVD writers gone dead after six months, CD ROMs with tray gears
    ground into rubble....Why would a video card, with 30+M
    transistor and other components squeezed onto a multilayered
    print-board with hairline traces and exposed to vibration,
    temperature expansion and contractions dust and mishandling be
    exempt from the rule?

    A well designed card would have small temperature differentials
    even when pushed over limit, noiseless (therefore vibration-
    free) cooling, and with solid quality control to catch other
    faults. But cards these days are designed to appear to run
    latest games a bit faster than the other one in the shop shelf,
    and in order to do that under budget the components are pushed
    beyond their specifications. It looks to me that, like in
    software industry, quality control is left to Joe Public to
    sort out by complaining and returning bad units.

    I have been reading about graphic cards on usenet (Google) for
    a while now and quite a few were complaining about new cards
    arriving dead or developing faults after a while.

    nononono, Oct 27, 2005
  12. nononono

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96FCC0B5B6616onononon@63.218.45.254>, nononono
    <> wrote:

    Sounds like you've worked hard to find where the problems were.

    You've had a lot of hardware problems, but the one I found most
    interesting:

    > CRTs with one colour beam missing,

    That might be an issue. Maybe it was just installed backwards? Did you
    check from behind the unit? You could just reposition the unit on the
    desk...
    Mitch, Oct 27, 2005
  13. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Hi,

    There was a bang, a bit of smoke, a sizzle, the stink of burned
    electronics and the reds were gone -:)

    Anyway all that happened over many years...

    So far plain vanilla AGP Geforce 6200 (with NV43) 128/128 looks
    the one to get, not turbo charged nor NV44A version.

    Opinions?

    Dealers in UK? I am only asking because it looks like that one
    is hard to get. Or maybe ASUS Radeon 9250 128/64, which might
    be easier to find.

    Many thanks for contributing to this thread.

    nononono, Oct 28, 2005
  14. nononono

    Plato Guest

    nononono wrote:

    > I am not really interested to get something 100% future-proof,

    There's no such thing anyway. As soon as you buy anything the next model
    comes out next week or the item you just bought yesterday is $20 less
    today :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 28, 2005
  15. nononono

    nononono Guest

    Or, after a long and exhaustive analysis of Google www and
    usenet, you look into tea leaves or coffee grains at the bottom
    of your first morning cup you finally make a decision that will
    almost break the bank only to find out nobody makes or sells
    that model any more :)

    nononono, Oct 28, 2005
  16. nononono

    Plato Guest

    nononono wrote:

    > Or, after a long and exhaustive analysis of Google www and
    > usenet, you look into tea leaves or coffee grains at the bottom
    > of your first morning cup you finally make a decision that will
    > almost break the bank only to find out nobody makes or sells
    > that model any more :)

    Just happened to me with the Chevy Blazer. Was looking to get a new one
    now it's not even on the chevy website anymore.
    Plato, Oct 29, 2005