  1. was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
    does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x slot?
    ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

    Christopher Syn, May 6, 2007

  2. Christopher Syn

    PeeCee Guest

    "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in message
    news:C_9%h.977$...
    > was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
    > does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x
    > slot? ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

    The AGP speed will still be 4x even with an 8x card in the slot.
    'Better' will depend on the card and what you define as better.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 6, 2007

  3. What I mean is can I still get better graphics using a more powerful 8x agp
    card in a 4x slot

    Christopher Syn, May 6, 2007
  4. Christopher Syn

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > What I mean is can I still get better graphics using a more powerful 8x
    > agp card in a 4x slot

    Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x slot. It would run
    more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.

    If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot would probably
    not be worth the investment. But if you are gaming and have a cheapo card,
    then an upgrade should be helpful.

    WhzzKdd, May 6, 2007
  5. Christopher Syn

    Guest

    "Christopher Syn" <> wrote:

    >was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
    >does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x slot?
    >ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

    The 4x interface will only support (i.e. display) 4x technology no
    matter what. If you upgrade the mobo you should get the newest interface
    which is PCIe -- much better than AGP 8x. Therefore, buying a 8x AGP
    card would be a waste of money, even if you had a future mobo upgrade in
    mind.

    , May 6, 2007
  6. Christopher Syn

    thanatoid Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in

    > "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in
    > message news:ssb%h.6$...
    >> What I mean is can I still get better graphics using a
    >> more powerful 8x agp card in a 4x slot
    >>

    > Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x
    > slot. It would run more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.
    >
    > If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot
    > would probably not be worth the investment. But if you are
    > gaming and have a cheapo card, then an upgrade should be
    > helpful.

    Just to make sure...

    An 8x card WILL fit into and run in a 4x slot? A seemingly
    knowledgeable salesman once told me otherwise.

    Asking because 4x cards are getting scarce and I only have the
    choice of 4xAGP or standard PCI.

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, May 6, 2007
  7. Christopher Syn

    Jerry Attic Guest

    thanatoid <> said in news:Xns9927E6937885Bthanexit@
    66.250.146.158:

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in
    >> message news:ssb%h.6$...
    >>> What I mean is can I still get better graphics using a
    >>> more powerful 8x agp card in a 4x slot
    >>>

    >> Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x
    >> slot. It would run more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.
    >>
    >> If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot
    >> would probably not be worth the investment. But if you are
    >> gaming and have a cheapo card, then an upgrade should be
    >> helpful.

    > Just to make sure...
    >
    > An 8x card WILL fit into and run in a 4x slot? A seemingly
    > knowledgeable salesman once told me otherwise.

    This is how it is: A majority of 8X cards are backwards compatible to older
    4X AGP slots. A majority are not backward compatible with a really ancient
    2X slot. When you stick an 8X card in a 4X slot, it will only run at 4X.
    However, since the internals are better than an older 4X, you will see
    better performance. How much depends on a POS your PC is, etc.

    > Asking because 4x cards are getting scarce and I only have the
    > choice of 4xAGP or standard PCI.

    A cheaper 8x card with 256 megs of RAM is better than some crappy NVIDIA
    420 with 64 megs of RAM. Does that make sense?

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, May 6, 2007
  8. Christopher Syn

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Jerry Attic" <0m> wrote in message
    > thanatoid <> said in
    > 66.250.146.158:
    >
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:ssb%h.6$...
    >>>>

    >>> Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x
    >>> slot. It would run more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.
    >>>
    >>> If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot
    >>> would probably not be worth the investment. But if you are
    >>> gaming and have a cheapo card, then an upgrade should be
    >>> helpful.

    >> Just to make sure...
    >>
    >> An 8x card WILL fit into and run in a 4x slot? A seemingly
    >> knowledgeable salesman once told me otherwise.

    > This is how it is: A majority of 8X cards are backwards compatible to
    > older
    > 4X AGP slots. A majority are not backward compatible with a really ancient
    > 2X slot. When you stick an 8X card in a 4X slot, it will only run at 4X.
    > However, since the internals are better than an older 4X, you will see
    > better performance. How much depends on a POS your PC is, etc.
    >
    >> Asking because 4x cards are getting scarce and I only have the
    >> choice of 4xAGP or standard PCI.

    > A cheaper 8x card with 256 megs of RAM is better than some crappy NVIDIA
    > 420 with 64 megs of RAM. Does that make sense?

    Exactly what I was trying to say, only better done <g> - thanks Jerry!

    WhzzKdd, May 6, 2007
  9. Christopher Syn

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> "Christopher Syn" <> wrote in
    >> message news:ssb%h.6$...
    >>> What I mean is can I still get better graphics using a
    >>> more powerful 8x agp card in a 4x slot
    >>>

    >> Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x
    >> slot. It would run more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.
    >>
    >> If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot
    >> would probably not be worth the investment. But if you are
    >> gaming and have a cheapo card, then an upgrade should be
    >> helpful.

    > Just to make sure...
    >
    > An 8x card WILL fit into and run in a 4x slot? A seemingly
    > knowledgeable salesman once told me otherwise.

    I have an 8x nVidia 7600GT in my 4x motherboard. Works fine. At the 4x bus
    speed, obviously. Although I'm not happy with the S-Video output. It seems I
    didn't read the fine print, and the S-Video connector is component output,
    and I needed composite. So now I record TV onto the desktop as a DVR
    (Windows media player compatible file), store it in a shared folder, play it
    in a window on my laptop through that unit's S-Video/composite so I can
    watch it on my regular TV. I guess there's one advantage to doing it this
    way - the laptop puts WMP in close proximity, so I have the controls right
    here. But I have a remote for the desktop, so it would actually be nice if
    didn't have to do this route-through-the-laptop game. (The ATI card I should
    have bought has both composite and component out. Composite for now,
    component for later when I can afford a new TV.)

    WhzzKdd, May 6, 2007
  10. thats what I was looking for, thanks

    Christopher Syn, May 6, 2007
  11. Thanks, the answers I was looking for

    Christopher Syn, May 6, 2007
  12. Christopher Syn

    Plato Guest

    Christopher Syn wrote:

    > was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
    > does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x slot?
    > ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

    A 4X slot will only run at 4X as far as I know even if you put an 8X
    card in.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 6, 2007
  13. Christopher Syn

    ProfGene Guest

    Christopher Syn wrote:
    > was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
    > does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x
    > slot? ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

    I am not even sure an 8x graphics card will work in a 4x slot but if it
    does I doubt you would get better graphics.

    ProfGene, May 19, 2007