AGP Worries

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MELT, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. MELT

    MELT Guest

    Hi,

    It seems the AGP slot of my motherboard has gone wrong...I hope it's
    not that, but I can't think of much else.

    Last week, all of a sudden, the computer refused to boot up. I hadn't
    recently installed any new hardware or software. The computer went
    through the BIOS setup and to the point where Windows XP startup tries
    to kick into action with the basic flash screen (with the scrolling
    blue bar). But as soon as it reached that bit, the screen would go
    blank and nothing would work except for the reset button.

    I could load Windows in Safe Mode and it was reporting the 'Infinite
    Loop' problem with my GeForce 4 card. I messed about with the BIOS to
    see if something was amiss, but nothing made a difference. I tried a
    huge number of things to remedy the problem and ended up trying a new
    memory module and even formatting the harddisk and reinstalling
    Windows XP afresh...but even during the fresh install process, it kept
    crashing out again.

    I installed another AGP graphics card (ATI Radeon 9600), but it still
    crashed out and I couldn't even load Safe Mode with this one. As soon
    as I put in an old PCI graphics card, everything worked perfectly,
    albeit a lot slower on the graphics front!

    Since I've gone through a system refresh, a different AGP card, and
    all sorts of BIOS changes, is it fairly likely that the motherboard's
    AGP has stopped working? If this is the case, might other parts of
    the motherboard go wrong as a result? Any other ideas?

    Thanks for any help or assistance you can give me with this!

    cheers,
    MELT
    MELT, Jan 2, 2004

  2. MELT

    ICee Guest

    MELT wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems the AGP slot of my motherboard has gone wrong...I hope it's
    > not that, but I can't think of much else.
    >
    > Last week, all of a sudden, the computer refused to boot up. I hadn't
    > recently installed any new hardware or software. The computer went
    > through the BIOS setup and to the point where Windows XP startup tries
    > to kick into action with the basic flash screen (with the scrolling
    > blue bar). But as soon as it reached that bit, the screen would go
    > blank and nothing would work except for the reset button.
    >
    > I could load Windows in Safe Mode and it was reporting the 'Infinite
    > Loop' problem with my GeForce 4 card. I messed about with the BIOS to
    > see if something was amiss, but nothing made a difference. I tried a
    > huge number of things to remedy the problem and ended up trying a new
    > memory module and even formatting the harddisk and reinstalling
    > Windows XP afresh...but even during the fresh install process, it kept
    > crashing out again.
    >
    > I installed another AGP graphics card (ATI Radeon 9600), but it still
    > crashed out and I couldn't even load Safe Mode with this one. As soon
    > as I put in an old PCI graphics card, everything worked perfectly,
    > albeit a lot slower on the graphics front!
    >
    > Since I've gone through a system refresh, a different AGP card, and
    > all sorts of BIOS changes, is it fairly likely that the motherboard's
    > AGP has stopped working? If this is the case, might other parts of
    > the motherboard go wrong as a result? Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any help or assistance you can give me with this!
    >
    > cheers,
    > MELT

    What system do you have? What motherboard? What size power supply?
    Need more info onthe sysytem. It does not sound like a "AGP" slot
    problem.
    ICee, Jan 2, 2004

  3. MELT

    MELT Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:28:45 GMT, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >MELT wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It seems the AGP slot of my motherboard has gone wrong...I hope it's
    >> not that, but I can't think of much else.
    >>
    >> Last week, all of a sudden, the computer refused to boot up. I hadn't
    >> recently installed any new hardware or software. The computer went
    >> through the BIOS setup and to the point where Windows XP startup tries
    >> to kick into action with the basic flash screen (with the scrolling
    >> blue bar). But as soon as it reached that bit, the screen would go
    >> blank and nothing would work except for the reset button.
    >>
    >> I could load Windows in Safe Mode and it was reporting the 'Infinite
    >> Loop' problem with my GeForce 4 card. I messed about with the BIOS to
    >> see if something was amiss, but nothing made a difference. I tried a
    >> huge number of things to remedy the problem and ended up trying a new
    >> memory module and even formatting the harddisk and reinstalling
    >> Windows XP afresh...but even during the fresh install process, it kept
    >> crashing out again.
    >>
    >> I installed another AGP graphics card (ATI Radeon 9600), but it still
    >> crashed out and I couldn't even load Safe Mode with this one. As soon
    >> as I put in an old PCI graphics card, everything worked perfectly,
    >> albeit a lot slower on the graphics front!
    >>
    >> Since I've gone through a system refresh, a different AGP card, and
    >> all sorts of BIOS changes, is it fairly likely that the motherboard's
    >> AGP has stopped working? If this is the case, might other parts of
    >> the motherboard go wrong as a result? Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help or assistance you can give me with this!
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> MELT

    >What system do you have? What motherboard? What size power supply?
    >Need more info onthe sysytem. It does not sound like a "AGP" slot
    >problem.

    Here's the setup:

    2.53Ghz P4
    MSI 655 Max Motherboard (SiS 655 Chipset)
    300W Power Supply
    512Mb DDR333
    80Gb Maxtor HD
    20Gb IBM HD (backup only, no progs or dependencies)
    Soundblaster Audigy
    CD-RW - ASUS CRW-5224A
    DVD-RW - Sony DW-U10A
    USB Logitech Mouse & USB Cable Modem (if that makes a difference)

    This has been the setup for months without change. I was using a
    GeForce 4 MX440 128Mb until the problem arose and have now also tried
    using an ATI Radeon 9600 128Mb with no success.

    I hope this helps!
    MELT, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Have you overclocked this card?
    --
    Christech Company
    "Quality computer repair on the go"!

    REMOVE NOSPAM FROM EMAIL IF
    SENDING A EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS

    jasonr@christech, Jan 3, 2004
  5. MELT

    MELT Guest

    No overclocking in any way on any part of the system. There's been no
    overclocking at any point.

    MELT

    MELT, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Hi MELT,