    problem, smaller printers Epson 880 is solved do work in vista computer
    and networked. and print from other computer. This group is great find me
    an AGP one slot video card. Thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 15, 2008

  2. What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    With a video rating of 4, low score, I would like to update the ATI card
    that I have installed, system is rock solid but it does not allow all that I
    am paying for in Vista ultimate. And yes I like to be at edge. I have room
    for a single card, and have not had luck with Nvidia in vista. I know
    nothing about ATI everything else I have are Nvidia. So What cards are you
    using with success in Vista. Thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 16, 2008

  3. Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    A score of 4 isn't all that bad, and there will be limits on what you can
    reasonably expect with AGP.

    That being said, my main workstation is still an AGP, and it's got an ATI
    1650 card in it. Not super fast, but a bit better than 4 if I remember
    correctly (can't get to it right now to check.) That machine tops out at a
    rating of 4, but it's the RAM speed that has it limited, not the video card.

    If you look at the currently shipping AGP cards that are ATI based, you'll
    see that the current top of the line are the 3850 cards. My pick of those
    would probably be the Sapphire. They'll all tend to run warm, you may want
    to add a cooler, especially if you have a system that runs a bit warm
    already.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 16, 2008
  4. Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    Thanks just ordered the Sapphire 3850 from New Egg probably a week
    to Alaska I will keep group posted. My next low score are the opteron
    processors at 4.7 after the video card so that is where I stop. ram and hard
    disk are 5.9 so it was worth the try. It really does not matter if I can not
    stay stable but system was started back when 64 bit was just coming out.
    Betas of xp 64 and then Vista. I was right with what I started with. Sort of
    a completion thing. If my only problems are the scanners not internal stuff
    in the computers I had to go for it. Thanks again. I will post in a week or
    when card is installed.

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 16, 2008
  5. Matt Schneyer

    Jim Guest

    Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    I noticed you mentioned replacing your early Opteron chips. I have
    dual Opteron 270s in my Tyan machine, and I could now replace them
    with dual Opteron 290s for approximately what I paid for a *single*
    Opteron 270 when I bought them. I do not think it would gain me much
    speed, but I have always wondered? I do not do a lot of complex math,
    and I already have an nVidia 8800 GTX video card, but faster
    processors would be nice. I am stuck with buffered PC 2700 memory
    because it is a server board, which might make replacing the
    processors a waste of money.

    Thank you

    Jim, Aug 16, 2008
  6. Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    not replacing Opterons my problem has been with the video card. Opterons
    are solid 244 slow but very steady. Who knows after the video thing. The
    low part will be the opterons you are correct replacing them now verses when
    I started. You can get opterons in the 800 series for what I originally paid
    for the single core opterons. My board will accept quad core with the bios
    in it now so First things first. I need to see where the new video card
    goes.

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 16, 2008
  7. Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    You'll see not nearly enough difference going from 270's to 290's. Sorry.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 18, 2008
  8. Re: What AGP card are you using with vista ultimate 64

    I am changing video cards. I should see improvement from a 1900 series to a
    3850 series. That will max out where I can go with current available cards
    for agp. I will use the slower card if system is not stable.
    The memory on my Tyan board is not the slow point also 2700. all mine is ecc
    and registered I didn't know better. got 5.9 rating whatever that means.
    Where would someone expect to see a jump from dual Opteron 244 single core
    to what. Again if system looses stability it is not a go. I am not a gamer
    but into photography and starting into video but casually at that.
    Photography is where my interests are. Network printers are also the thing
    to do. Epson 3800 is great on network and a Konica Minolta 5440 is also
    networked.

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 18, 2008