    is there still a chance, albeit remote, that I might still come across a
    system from somebody that might need this card.

    Jim

    James D Andrews, Mar 26, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > I work on older systems for people who can't afford newer computers, and I
    > salvage parts from old trashed computers for possible future use. Many of
    > the parts I've salvaged have found new homes in other computers.
    >
    > Rummaging through my collection, I came across a couple AGP Video Cards.
    > Obviously, no newer systems will have these.
    >
    > Now, just how old of systems would I be working that AGP cards might still
    > be found in? Are we talking old as in Windows 95? Were they used in
    > 98/98SE? Win ME? Win2000? early NT systems?
    >
    > Yes, I know the AGP system does not = Windows version, I'm just trying to
    > pin down a time period so I can decide whether it's safe to pitch these, or
    > is there still a chance, albeit remote, that I might still come across a
    > system from somebody that might need this card.
    >
    > Jim

    They stopped shipping an AGP motherboard from Asrock, around the end of last year (2010).
    I have one of these, and it is still in service. So there are a very few, modern
    systems with AGP. I expect VIA probably stopped making chipsets, because
    Core i3/i5/i7 are the major sellers on the Intel side now. But Asrock did
    have a fairly long run of these. They were around $66 each. I used an
    ATI 9800 Pro in mine.

    ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 LGA775

    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813157115

    That system was running WinXP, and I've also managed to install Win98 on it.
    Currently, it's a Linux / whatever test box. Last OS tested was Solaris.
    It has both an AGP and a PCI Express slot, but the AGP slot has slightly
    more bandwidth. The PCI Express interface is x4 wiring.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 26, 2011

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > James D Andrews wrote:

    SNIP
    >> Now, just how old of systems would I be working that AGP cards might
    >> still be found in? Are we talking old as in Windows 95? Were they used
    >> in 98/98SE? Win ME? Win2000? early NT systems?
    >>
    >> Yes, I know the AGP system does not = Windows version, I'm just trying to
    >> pin down a time period so I can decide whether it's safe to pitch these,
    >> or is there still a chance, albeit remote, that I might still come across
    >> a system from somebody that might need this card.
    >>
    >> Jim

    > They stopped shipping an AGP motherboard from Asrock, around the end of
    > last year (2010).
    > I have one of these, and it is still in service. So there are a very few,
    > modern
    > systems with AGP. I expect VIA probably stopped making chipsets, because
    > Core i3/i5/i7 are the major sellers on the Intel side now. But Asrock did
    > have a fairly long run of these. They were around $66 each. I used an
    > ATI 9800 Pro in mine.
    >
    > ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 LGA775
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813157115
    >
    > That system was running WinXP, and I've also managed to install Win98 on
    > it.
    > Currently, it's a Linux / whatever test box. Last OS tested was Solaris.
    > It has both an AGP and a PCI Express slot, but the AGP slot has slightly
    > more bandwidth. The PCI Express interface is x4 wiring.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks Paul
    I guess I'll hold onto it for a few more years then.

    James D Andrews, Mar 28, 2011