    Thanks

    Michael Daly

    Michael Daly, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Michael Daly

    Andrew Guest

    Michael Daly wrote:
    > This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    > card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    > a card rated at AGP8x?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Michael Daly
    >

    > Michael Daly

    An AGP 8x card will run at 4x speeds

    Andrew, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Michael Daly

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Michael Daly

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:56:31 +1300, Michael Daly <*del*>
    wrote:

    >This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >
    >I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    >card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    >a card rated at AGP8x?

    Why...??

    XP, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Michael Daly

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:56:31 +1300, Michael Daly <*del*>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    >> card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    >> a card rated at AGP8x?

    > Why...??
    >

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Michael Daly
    >>

    >> Michael Daly

    Probaboly because all cards these days are 8x cards... and he wants to
    put it into an older machine that is 4x

    Andrew, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Michael Daly

    Daniel Guest

    Michael Daly wrote:
    > This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    > card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    > a card rated at AGP8x?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Michael Daly
    >

    > Michael Daly

    This might help:-

    http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

    Daniel, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Michael Daly

    thing2 Guest

    Michael Daly wrote:
    > This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    > card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    > a card rated at AGP8x?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Michael Daly
    >

    > Michael Daly

    I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x8) for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
    x p3-1000) and it is fine.

    HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
    the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
    would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
    the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
    simply replace the DELL psu.

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Michael Daly

    PC Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    snip
    > Why...??

    snip

    Wodger /Troll alert.

    PC, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Michael Daly

    Michael Daly Guest

    Andrew <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >>

    >> Why...??
    >>

    >Probaboly because all cards these days are 8x cards... and he wants to
    >put it into an older machine that is 4x

    Got it in one; thanks for the info.

    Michael Daly

    Michael Daly, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Michael Daly

    Michael Daly Guest

    thing2 <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x8) for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
    >x p3-1000) and it is fine.
    >
    >HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
    >the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
    >would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
    >the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
    >simply replace the DELL psu.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >thing

    Thanks for the tip; I'll check this out,

    Michael Daly

    Michael Daly, Nov 17, 2005
  11. Michael Daly

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:46:07 +1300, thing2 <> wrote:

    >Michael Daly wrote:
    >> This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    >> card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    >> a card rated at AGP8x?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Michael Daly
    >>

    >> Michael Daly

    >I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x8) for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
    >x p3-1000) and it is fine.
    >
    >HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
    >the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
    >would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
    >the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
    >simply replace the DELL psu.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >thing

    I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
    power at boot time..???

    XP, Nov 17, 2005
  12. Michael Daly

    frederick Guest

    Michael Daly wrote:
    > thing2 <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x8) for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
    >>x p3-1000) and it is fine.
    >>
    >>HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
    >>the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
    >>would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
    >>the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
    >>simply replace the DELL psu.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>thing
    >>

    > Thanks for the tip; I'll check this out,
    >
    > Michael Daly

    I have had an issue with an AGP 8X card on a M/B that supported AGP4x.
    The BIOS setup had been set to AGP 1x/2x, which caused some weird
    graphics errors (random patterns and dots around the mouse cursor), and
    occasional system crashes. Changing the setting to AGP 4x resolved all
    issues.

    frederick, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Michael Daly

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
    > power at boot time..???

    I think enermax have slipped on the quality of there retail power supplies recently.

    A mate got a "600"w one and it was unstable. Swapping it out for a thermaltake
    that was half the price and only "500" watts and the machine came right... thats
    a thermaltake of all brands.

    Richard, Nov 17, 2005
  14. Michael Daly

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:38:40 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
    >> power at boot time..???

    >I think enermax have slipped on the quality of there retail power supplies recently.
    >
    >A mate got a "600"w one and it was unstable. Swapping it out for a thermaltake
    >that was half the price and only "500" watts and the machine came right... thats
    >a thermaltake of all brands.

    thermaltake is the worse off all the brands, NO M.T.B.F and no factory
    Warrantee Quoted, yes mine blow up after 16 months..

    XP, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Michael Daly

    EMB Guest

    XP wrote:

    > thermaltake is the worse off all the brands, NO M.T.B.F and no factory
    > Warrantee Quoted, yes mine blow up after 16 months..

    There may be no MTBF quoted on their website but there is in the
    documentation that comes with their PSUs. The datasheet I've just
    looked at quotes 75000hrs.

    And as you well know, factory warranty is pretty much irrelevant when
    the CGA applies.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 17, 2005
  16. Michael Daly

    thing2 Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:46:07 +1300, thing2 <> wrote:
    >

    >>Michael Daly wrote:
    >>
    >>>This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
    >>>
    >>>I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
    >>>card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
    >>>a card rated at AGP8x?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Michael Daly
    >>>

    >>>Michael Daly

    >>I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x8) for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
    >>x p3-1000) and it is fine.
    >>
    >>HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
    >>the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
    >>would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
    >>the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
    >>simply replace the DELL psu.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>thing

    > I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
    > power at boot time..???

    Movement - creep of the connector into the back of the video card?

    Mine complained the other day and I found the connector had fallen out
    so it was surviving on what the agp slot could provide.

    I have the 600watt unit which is dual sli and had a good review off toms
    hardware...it is also quiet and efficient....

    My cheap 400w raidmax ($50) now seems OK after I swapped out the
    motherboard with its 8 dodgy capacitors, they must have been leaking a
    lot of current......

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 18, 2005
  17. Michael Daly

    Richard Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Movement - creep of the connector into the back of the video card?
    >
    > Mine complained the other day and I found the connector had fallen out
    > so it was surviving on what the agp slot could provide.
    >
    > I have the 600watt unit which is dual sli and had a good review off toms
    > hardware...it is also quiet and efficient....
    >
    > My cheap 400w raidmax ($50) now seems OK after I swapped out the
    > motherboard with its 8 dodgy capacitors, they must have been leaking a
    > lot of current......

    More likley drawing current with excessive ripple so the PSU would shutdown.
    Switchers hate powering other switchers because they resonate with each other so
    to speak. Need a big load of capacatance between them to stop that happening.

    Richard, Nov 18, 2005