aggravating wifi prob

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Robert Blackwell, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. My moms laptop all of a sudden can't access the network. She says it started
    happening after she tried to add a printer (from another computer on the
    network) but I dont' see how that could have done anything.

    When I came over to see what the problem was it appeared as thought it could
    have just been a signal strength issue. It would show the network on the
    list of available wifi networks, when clicking connect you'd get that small
    window with the animated connection stuff. Then it would just do that for
    like 2 minutes and stop and not connect to anything. This was with the
    laptop sitting 5 inches from the router. I tried a system restore from a day
    before when it was working just fine but that didn't help at all. All the
    network settings appeared to be the same anyways.

    So,I logged into the router from one of the lan computers changed the wep
    key, logged off, then power cycled the router. I then went to the laptop and
    updated the wep key. turned it off, turned on the router, then turned on the
    laptop again. After booting up, it immediately picked up the network and
    connected but it can't access any other computers or the web.

    It looks as if it's not dchp'ing correctly or something. in ipconfig /all is
    it shows an
    autoconfig ip of 169.254.188.109 with a 255.255.0.0 subnet and nothing for
    the gateway.

    I also tried assigning an ip manually and while that returned no connection
    problems it just didn't work. I couldn't see any computers on the network
    except my own and I could access the web.

    This is one of those cases where I just want to punch the freakin computer.

    Thanks in advance.

    Please keep in mind I'll have to try anything you suggest later tonight when
    I go back over.
    Robert Blackwell, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Look for a small reset switch on the router and reset it.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Reset could be a small hole in the back of the router, big enough to press
    the point of a pen/pencil and hold for 4/5 seconds.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 18, 2005
  4. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the nic, that worked out.
    Robert Blackwell, Jan 19, 2005