Agfa Photo CD Freezes Computer!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I recently had two rolls of film (yes I still haven't joined the
    digital revolution) developed at a photo place and got two photo CDs
    made as well which I paid extra for.

    In the past I have had film and cds from a number of companies, e.g.
    Kodak, Boots, Click and a few other photo places.

    The place I went to this time used Agfa photo paper and CDs, they used
    to use Kodak but unfortunately don't anymore.

    The prints came out quite well, but I have a huge problem with the
    CDs. They are supposed to run automatically on insert, however the
    only thing they do is freeze the entire computer and I have to hit the
    restart button. I have tried them on another system and the same
    thing happens.

    Has anyone else had a problem with Agfa photo CDs? What do you
    suggest? Is there anything computer wise I can do to get these to work
    or will I have to take them back for a refund or exchange?

    Both the systems I have tried these on are Windows XP sp2. Actually,
    one system was sp1 at first but I have just updated it to sp2 (that
    Windows XP Pro). The other system was recently bought pre-loaded with
    sp2 (Windows Home Edition).

    Thanks for any advice.

    John

    John, Aug 7, 2005

  2. John

    John Guest

    I don't suppose anyone knows how to restart a computer in MS-DOS mode?
    I am on XP Pro SP2, and usually I used to click on start turn off
    computer and restart in MS-Dos, but that option doesn't seem to be
    present any more.

    I'm sure there is a key you can also hold down while the system is
    booting that will keep Windows from loading and leave you in Dos.

    My plan is to try and copy just the images over from the CDs to a
    folder on drive C. I can't do anything in Windows with these CDs in
    the drives. I have made a mental note to *never* get photos processed
    with Agfa ever again. I will just go to Boots, Klick, or get it done
    in a Kodak outlet.

    Thanks for your help

    John

    John, Aug 7, 2005

  3. John

    Phast1 Guest

    F8 on bootup.

    Phast1

    Phast1, Aug 7, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:42:55 -0400, A strange species called "Phast1"
    <> wrote:

    >F8 on bootup.

    Unfortunately F8 does nothing on my computer at bootup. Windows
    continues to load.

    I have a Microsoft Keyboard. I have tried it with F-Lock on and off
    and it makes no difference.

    Is there any other way to get to Dos without being in Windows?

    John

    John, Aug 7, 2005
  5. John

    Phast1 Guest

    Hmm, sorry. Try inserting blank floppy, right-click>format>make bootable.

    hth,

    Phast1

    Phast1, Aug 7, 2005
  6. John

    VWWall Guest

    John wrote:
    > I don't suppose anyone knows how to restart a computer in MS-DOS mode?
    > I am on XP Pro SP2, and usually I used to click on start turn off
    > computer and restart in MS-Dos, but that option doesn't seem to be
    > present any more.

    There is no DOS in WinXP! Win98 had the option to "Restart in DOS".

    > I'm sure there is a key you can also hold down while the system is
    > booting that will keep Windows from loading and leave you in Dos.

    See above! You are never "in DOS" when loading WinXP.

    You can boot to a floppy with a few DOS programs on it. To use this
    with a CD drive, you'll also need the CD drivers. The standard floppy
    boot disk for Win 98 has these, and may do what you want.

    > My plan is to try and copy just the images over from the CDs to a
    > folder on drive C. I can't do anything in Windows with these CDs in
    > the drives. I have made a mental note to *never* get photos processed
    > with Agfa ever again. I will just go to Boots, Klick, or get it done
    > in a Kodak outlet.

    I don't believe it's an Agfa problem. Maybe a defective CD, or one your
    CD drive doesn't like. Try them in a different computer.

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Aug 7, 2005
  7. John

    grolschie Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > The prints came out quite well, but I have a huge problem with the
    > CDs. They are supposed to run automatically on insert, however the
    > only thing they do is freeze the entire computer and I have to hit the
    > restart button. I have tried them on another system and the same
    > thing happens.

    Hold down SHIFT key while inserting the CD until after CD is detected.
    This will stop any software running that may be on the CD.

    Go into My Computer and right-click the CD drive and select "Explore".
    Do not double-click the CD drive icon. Find your picture files.

    grol

    grolschie, Aug 7, 2005
  8. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for the help guys.

    I managed to copy what I can from the CDs. Some of the images they
    saved onto the CDs though were defective. Also the file CDLoader that
    was supposed to run the Agfa photo-cd software on insert also seemed
    to not work with XP pro sp1 or sp2, and it also didn't work in XP Home
    sp2. I believe this is a definite fault with Agfa software on their
    photo CDs, they are really poor.

    At least I managed to salvage a lot of it. Just a few photos in high
    resolution were corrupted and I couldn't save. I know to stick with
    another company in future.

    John

    John, Aug 7, 2005
  9. John

    grolschie Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the help guys.
    >
    > I managed to copy what I can from the CDs. Some of the images they
    > saved onto the CDs though were defective. Also the file CDLoader that
    > was supposed to run the Agfa photo-cd software on insert also seemed
    > to not work with XP pro sp1 or sp2, and it also didn't work in XP Home
    > sp2. I believe this is a definite fault with Agfa software on their
    > photo CDs, they are really poor.
    >
    > At least I managed to salvage a lot of it. Just a few photos in high
    > resolution were corrupted and I couldn't save. I know to stick with
    > another company in future.

    If a couple of images could not be read from the CD, then the problem
    may not be the Agfa software but the CD burn itself. If the CD did not
    burn properly (it's what we call a coaster, even though it partly is
    readable), the software would not be able to be read properly also and
    would explain the freezing. When burning CD's they should always use
    quality media and verify the burn.

    grol

    grolschie, Aug 7, 2005
  10. John

    Fakename Guest

    The only problem with that is the boot floppy doesn't have NTFS drivers
    on it so you probably wouldn't be able to read any data on the hard
    drive anyways.

    But I see from the other posts that you salvaged the files, so I won't
    repeat the advice given.

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005
  11. John

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:20:01 +1200, "grolschie"
    <> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the help guys.
    >>
    >> I managed to copy what I can from the CDs. Some of the images they
    >> saved onto the CDs though were defective. Also the file CDLoader that
    >> was supposed to run the Agfa photo-cd software on insert also seemed
    >> to not work with XP pro sp1 or sp2, and it also didn't work in XP Home
    >> sp2. I believe this is a definite fault with Agfa software on their
    >> photo CDs, they are really poor.
    >>
    >> At least I managed to salvage a lot of it. Just a few photos in high
    >> resolution were corrupted and I couldn't save. I know to stick with
    >> another company in future.

    >If a couple of images could not be read from the CD, then the problem
    >may not be the Agfa software but the CD burn itself. If the CD did not
    >burn properly (it's what we call a coaster, even though it partly is
    >readable), the software would not be able to be read properly also and
    >would explain the freezing. When burning CD's they should always use
    >quality media and verify the burn.

    Agreed - this sounds like a defective CD burn more than anything else.
    It could also account for the freeze, especially if the program that
    was supposed to autorun is corrupted.

    Mike Kohary, Aug 9, 2005