    Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
    Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then
    when I look for the MIME app, all that I get is the Agent/Data folder.
    Solar^, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Solar^

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:57:35 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

    If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
    launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
    jpg file?

    >Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
    >Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then
    >when I look for the MIME app, all that I get is the Agent/Data folder.

    When you select a post containing a jpg, is there an icon showing the
    associated application? For example My default is the Irfan red blob
    icon, telling me IrfanView will open the file. However if I goto
    PaintShopPro and the File Associations menu and select 'All' the
    (restart Agent) the preview Icon changes to a PSP icon.

    You mean from the Agent menu, Option / General Preferences / MIME types?

    I have ,

    Type / Subtype - image/jpeg
    Extensions - jpg,jpeg
    Application IrfanView JPG file.

    (doing the PSP change mentioned above, the Application now says PSP 7
    Image instead.)

    Do you have an entry like that, or can you create an entry, for your
    cause fill in the application box using browse to find the application
    that loaded the jpg file above (top of the msg)

    It's also worth getting IrfanView (it's freeware)
    http://www.irfanview.com/ anyway, I associated all image extensions
    (Options / Set file assiciations) with it and use it to preview pictures
    all the time. For that it's worth getting for the rest of the features
    it's a must have utility.

    My XP box is disconnected, so a couple of examples with WinNT4/Win2000.

    You could also check the association via (on NT4/2000) open a command
    prompt type

    assoc > filesassoc.txt

    This creates a textfile called fileassoc.txt listing the file extensions
    and what opens them, have a look at that.

    Type 'exit' , without the '' to close the cmd prompt.

    Also ,

    In Win2000,
    Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types and check the
    settings for the file extension there.

    In NT4
    Windows Explorer / View / Options / File Types/

    Me.
    why?, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Solar^

    Solar^ Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:30:14 GMT, why?

    >If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
    >launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
    >jpg file?

    The icon I'm getting is just the Forte Agent Icon. When I save the
    file to a folder, I can then open it with Windows Picture and Fax
    Viewer. I'd like to install that to handle the jpgs, but have done
    numerous searches for its location and have come up empty. Will look
    into irfanview and thanks for the reply, why?
    Solar^, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Solar^

    Ray Guest

    Solar^ <> wrote in
    [snip]
    >Will look into irfanview

    I think you will like Irfan View. I use it with Xnews. Unlike some other
    image programs you can size the image to fit the screen by just clicking
    the "Enter" key so no scrolling needed to see the whole picture. Once you
    hit the "Enter" you can also step through a whole file of pictures just by
    pressing a mouse key to move to the next.
    Ray, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Solar^

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:22:46 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:30:14 GMT, why?
    >
    >>If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
    >>launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
    >>jpg file?

    >The icon I'm getting is just the Forte Agent Icon. When I save the
    >file to a folder, I can then open it with Windows Picture and Fax
    >Viewer. I'd like to install that to handle the jpgs, but have done

    www.google.com
    Searched English pages for ms picture and fax viewer.

    There should be something in the first dozen or so hits, there is info
    about how to disable P&F viewer, registry keys to look at for the file
    association will tell you the programs details.

    5 minutes at www.google.com

    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5073
    P & F seems to be running off another process and it's not a standalone
    app. The bottom of that thread also mentions changing to IrfanView.

    >numerous searches for its location and have come up empty. Will look

    Open up task manager and see what new process appears when you launch a
    jpg?

    >into irfanview and thanks for the reply, why?

    YW.

    Me
    why?, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Solar^

    Solar^ Guest

    Thanks why?, irfanview fixed me up.
    Regards
    Solar^

    Solar^, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Solar^

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:03:44 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

    >Thanks why?, irfanview fixed me up.
    >Regards
    >Solar^

    YW.

    >On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:57:35 -0500, Solar^ <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
    >>Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 24, 2003