AGENT Finger Trouble-HELP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    After considerable time downloading MP3 files from the USENET utilizing OE ,
    I decided to download FREE Agent to take advantage of the yENC posts I had
    been missing. I have been told that AGENT is a snap to use and I was
    encouraged.

    The first download went well. I double clicked (selected ) a header (
    entire song only visible as a single header) and after a short time the file
    info box appeared in the top left corner , allowing me to SAVE the joined
    pages as a single file to the folder of my choosing. I had just downloaded
    my first yEnc post and thought all would be that easy. Not so. Apparently
    not all postings are structured to be that easy.

    My second attempt was not as successful , and I cannot determine what I am
    doing wrong.
    I selected the header in the group list , double clicked it and a normal
    download process commenced.
    Once the file was downloaded the info box I expected to see was replaced by
    a complete page of coded text.
    I assumed that I had not joined the pages so I joined the files, I thought,
    but still no go ?

    Cannot get it to work, suggestions ?

    TIA
    John, Sep 13, 2003

  2. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Press CTRL+R to make sure that you don't have RAW view
    enabled - press again to change, if necessary.

    In Group / Properties (or Default Properties), make sure that you
    have the following checked:

    Detect Uuencoded files automatically
    Ignore Fragments
    Detect YEnc files automatically
    Join multipart messages when retrieving headers
    Join multipart messages when saving or launching attachments
    Burst digests into separate messages

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:17:55 GMT, in
    <D3K8b.143288$>
    John scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2003

  3. John

    JK_Deth Guest

    ,
    > I decided to download FREE Agent to take advantage of the yENC posts I

    had
    > been missing. I have been told that AGENT is a snap to use and I was
    > encouraged.
    >
    > The first download went well. I double clicked (selected ) a header (
    > entire song only visible as a single header) and after a short time the

    file
    > info box appeared in the top left corner , allowing me to SAVE the joined
    > pages as a single file to the folder of my choosing. I had just downloaded
    > my first yEnc post and thought all would be that easy. Not so. Apparently
    > not all postings are structured to be that easy.
    >
    > My second attempt was not as successful , and I cannot determine what I am
    > doing wrong.
    > I selected the header in the group list , double clicked it and a normal
    > download process commenced.
    > Once the file was downloaded the info box I expected to see was replaced

    by
    > a complete page of coded text.
    > I assumed that I had not joined the pages so I joined the files, I

    thought,
    > but still no go ?
    >
    > Cannot get it to work, suggestions ?
    >
    > TIA

    FREE agent doesn't support yenc.
    JK_Deth, Sep 13, 2003
  4. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Hmm, I missed that before... Free Agent does not support
    yEnc. You really should cough up for the full version.
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2003
  5. John

    trout Guest

    John wrote:

    > After considerable time downloading MP3 files from the USENET
    > utilizing OE , I decided to download FREE Agent to take advantage of
    > the yENC posts I had been missing. I have been told that AGENT is a
    > snap to use and I was encouraged.
    >
    > The first download went well. I double clicked (selected ) a header (
    > entire song only visible as a single header) and after a short time
    > the file info box appeared in the top left corner , allowing me to
    > SAVE the joined pages as a single file to the folder of my choosing.
    > I had just downloaded my first yEnc post and thought all would be
    > that easy. Not so. Apparently not all postings are structured to be
    > that easy.
    >
    > My second attempt was not as successful , and I cannot determine what
    > I am doing wrong.
    > I selected the header in the group list , double clicked it and a
    > normal download process commenced.
    > Once the file was downloaded the info box I expected to see was
    > replaced by a complete page of coded text.
    > I assumed that I had not joined the pages so I joined the files, I
    > thought, but still no go ?
    >
    > Cannot get it to work, suggestions ?
    >
    > TIA

    For a *free* newsreader that easily 'does binaries'; I'd recommend