    benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    though.
    What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.
    Lukagain, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Lukagain

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain <>
    wrote:

    >Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >though.
    >What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    Agent 2 here.
    GraB, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Lukagain

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:

    > Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    > benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    > though.
    > What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
    multiple news servers), and free.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #9501 +(6910)- [X]

    <AgentSmith> It seems you have been leading two lives, Mr. Anderson. In one
    life, you are Robert Anderson, assistant cook at a Jack in the Box in
    Mesquite....in the other...you go by the chat alias "Randerson"...spreading
    homosexual propoganda, lying, and being a generally immature pest...
    <AgentSmith> One of these...has a future.
    <Randerson> LMAO OMFG where's the phone, I have to tell Dean about this
    <AgentSmith> How can you use the phone when you cannot...speak?
    *** AgentSmith sets mode: +m

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/11/2005 2:53:18 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Lukagain

    Squirrel Guest

    wrote:

    >Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >though.
    >What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    I just downgraded to an earlier version of Agent, over ten years ago I
    purchased a reg key, $50 odd US, lately been using latest Free Agent
    but wanted to use killfiles, did not have enough dosh for an upgrade,
    so being cheeky I wrote and asked if they still had a copy of my key,
    they emaild the key to me very quickly, but told me I would have to
    downgrade, no skin off my nose, it does what I need it to do.

    Squirrel
    I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead
    Squirrel, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Lukagain

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 03:07:13 +1300, Brendan <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >> though.
    >> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    >I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
    >multiple news servers), and free.

    Can Dialog do tabbed full-sized windows like Agent does?

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Lukagain

    Geoff M Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:

    > Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    > benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    > though.
    > What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    I started with Agent 1.x way back when, moved to Agent 2 when it came out,
    which really offered nothing new. Got sick of the shortcomings and moved to
    40tude Dialog - similar to Agent, but with most of the faults fixed. I
    won't be going back. It is free too.
    I tried Agent 3 the other day, and didn't like it. IMO the interface sux,
    it is slow, and the multiple server support is not good. Won't be going
    back to Agent. There have been improvements wanted in Agent for YEARS, but
    Forte have never done anything, so they gave away their lead in the market.
    You can't keep selling what is effectively the same product with minimal
    improvement for 10 years
    Geoff
    Geoff M, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Lukagain

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Lukagain,

    > What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    JetBrains Omea Reader 2.0 (http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/)

    does RSS, Atom, USENET, Web, the pro version basically takes over the functionalaty
    of Outlook (well through synchronization)

    i did use 4dtude, but when i went searching for a decent program that does
    RSS, ATOM i found this that does both and switched over to it

    ----------------
    the madGeek

    Steven H, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Lukagain

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:37:53 +1300, Geoff M
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >> though.
    >> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    >I started with Agent 1.x way back when, moved to Agent 2 when it came out,
    >which really offered nothing new. Got sick of the shortcomings and moved to
    >40tude Dialog - similar to Agent, but with most of the faults fixed. I
    >won't be going back. It is free too.
    >I tried Agent 3 the other day, and didn't like it. IMO the interface sux,
    >it is slow, and the multiple server support is not good. Won't be going
    >back to Agent. There have been improvements wanted in Agent for YEARS, but
    >Forte have never done anything, so they gave away their lead in the market.
    >You can't keep selling what is effectively the same product with minimal
    >improvement for 10 years
    >Geoff

    I downloaded latest Agent to my lap top, it is like a foreign
    language, simply caanot get it to look even remotely like I have mine
    set on my pc, no about of jiggery pokery seems to make much
    difference.

    Squirrel, Nov 4, 2005
  9. Lukagain

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain <> wrote:

    >Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >though.
    >What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    Its been lambasted on Web sites as being far to complicated..

    Plus in the news group also..
    XP, Nov 4, 2005
  10. Lukagain

    darkknight Guest

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:43:11 +0000 (UTC), Steven H wrote:

    >Hello Lukagain,
    >
    >> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    >JetBrains Omea Reader 2.0 (http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/)
    >
    >does RSS, Atom, USENET, Web, the pro version basically takes over the functionalaty
    >of Outlook (well through synchronization)
    >
    >i did use 4dtude, but when i went searching for a decent program that does
    >RSS, ATOM i found this that does both and switched over to it

    The website says it's a dot net app. How much RAM does it use?
    darkknight, Nov 5, 2005
  11. Lukagain

    bambam Guest

    Lukagain <> wrote in

    > Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    > benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    > though.
    > What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    I like Xnews-

    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    But everyone likes different things so here are a few other good freebies-

    40tude Dialog

    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    MesNews

    http://www.mesnews.net/

    MicroPlanet Gravity

    XanaNews

    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Download them all and take them for a test drive.
    I can usually tell in about 5 minutes if a program is going to stay on my
    computer or not. Xnews was however an exception to this.
    Xnews will run from a flash drive which can be handy. :)
    bambam, Nov 5, 2005
  12. Lukagain

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its
    >> major benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really
    >> for me though.
    >> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    > I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot
    > (including multiple news servers), and free.

    Trying it now. As with all 'new' software I'm having teething trouble. Can I
    filter to not download/display posts based on groups they are crossposted
    to? A couple of my main groups are besieged by cross-posting trolls. This is
    my main motivation to change from OE, it won't filter them and the trolls
    seem to have random 'from' generators (defeats killfile) but always cross to
    the same groups.

    It is so different to OE (I know, I know....) and I've been using OE for
    news for, like, ever. (Not for email though).

    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2005
  13. Lukagain

    S Roby Guest

    >I like Xnews-
    >
    >http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    I use News Express2 , the 'original' Xnews. I just liked the interface more
    than Xnews (very basic, does the job)
    S Roby, Nov 5, 2005
  14. Lukagain

    Steven H Guest

    Hello darkknight,

    > The website says it's a dot net app. How much RAM does it use?

    ~ 50

    take away 30 for the framework itself (the framework is loaded once and is
    shared throughout all .net apps) and you have an aproximation usage of 20m

    which isnt all that small but it sint all that large either

    i didnt actually click to the fact that it was a .net app, it does look a
    bit more 'sexy' than other usenet clients but other than that ....

    hmmm.... methnks i will throw reflector at it and have a peek, of course
    for educational purposes only - already studied other parts of the framework
    itself, its amazing what you learn and how things are implemented under the
    hood.

    for thoes who dont know 'Reflector' (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/)
    is a pice of software that dissassembles / reflects MSIL into your favorate
    language (delphi .net, C#, vb.net atm) or if you have pointy hair you can
    view the IL itself.

    ----------------
    the madGeek

    Steven H, Nov 5, 2005
  15. On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:25:38 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 03:07:13 +1300, Brendan <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >>> benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >>> though.
    >>> What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    >>I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
    >>multiple news servers), and free.

    > Can Dialog do tabbed full-sized windows like Agent does?

    Yep it does F8 does the full window thing then tab between the 3 panes.
    also i managed to get the randon sig thing to work so i like it

    --
    There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying. The knack lies in being able
    to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Robin Halligan, Nov 5, 2005
  16. Lukagain

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:17:35 +1300, Robin Halligan <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:25:38 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>>I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
    >>>multiple news servers), and free.

    >> Can Dialog do tabbed full-sized windows like Agent does?

    >Yep it does F8 does the full window thing then tab between the 3 panes.
    >also i managed to get the randon sig thing to work so i like it

    Cool, I'll give it a try.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 5, 2005
  17. Lukagain

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:54:09 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Trying it now. As with all 'new' software I'm having teething trouble. Can I
    > filter to not download/display posts based on groups they are crossposted
    > to? A couple of my main groups are besieged by cross-posting trolls. This is
    > my main motivation to change from OE, it won't filter them and the trolls
    > seem to have random 'from' generators (defeats killfile) but always cross to
    > the same groups.

    Should be able to - it has very powerful filtering, including regular
    expressions. In addition, it has scripting language as well.

    For example, I can filter woger with it, regardless of his nym shifting
    shit.

    Try looking on the web for examples, specifically the wiki on the 40tude
    web site.

    You might try something like:

    [*]
    -1000 newsgroups alt.dickhead
    -1000 newsgroups alt.fuckwit
    -1000 newsgroups alt.wanker

    or maybe
    [*]
    !markread newsgroups alt.dickhead
    etc

    Have not tested that though, it's guesswork. But that's the sort of thing
    you should look for I think. There is probably a better way. Check out the
    references section in the help file, and that web site wiki.

    Note the regular expressions in the woger filters. You may need something
    like that if the simple examples above fail.

    Here are my filters - may give you a hint:
    [*]
    #The Good:
    +1000 From "~misfit~"
    +1000 From "Brendan"
    +1000 From "XPD"
    +1000 From "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    +1000 From "Don Hills"
    +1000 From "Chris Wilkinson"
    +1000 From "Peter Huebner"
    +1000 From "David Mohring"
    +1000 From "Gurble"
    #The Bad:
    -1000 From "Scooter"
    -1000 From "FreedomChooser"
    -1000 From "Rob J"
    -1000 From "Trog"
    #The Ugly:
    !markread Header: {^Organization: TelstraClear} +@Header: {^X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652} +@Header: {^X-No-Archive: yes} +@Header: {^NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.79.83.241} #woger
    !markread Header "NNTP-Posting-Host: 202-0-38-25.cable.paradise.net.nz" #woger

    #Highlight my own messages and followups:
    !watch From "Brendan <corum.misc"
    !setcolor(navy;aqua) From "Brendan <corum.misc"
    !setcolor(green;white) References brendan.co.nz>

    #Combine all messages from different servers into single newsgroups:
    [nz.comp]
    !move(nz.comp;Orcon) bytes %>0
    [nz.tech]
    !move(nz.tech;Orcon) bytes %>0
    [nz.reg.dunedin.general]
    !move(nz.reg.dunedin.general;Orcon) bytes %>0

    [email.*]
    #MAIL SORTING
    !move(KurzweilAI.net Daily Newsletter) Header "X-Sender: "
    !move(Physics News Update) Header {(Subject: \[\>Htech\] Physics News Update)}
    !move(Transhuman Tech) Header ""
    !move(Inner-Circle) Header ""

    #SPAM FILTERS
    !markread Subject "SPAM:"
    !move(junk) Subject "SPAM:"
    !move(junk) Header: {^X-Spam-Score: ([6-9]|[1-9]+[1-9])} +@Header: {^X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0\.[5-9]+[5-9]} +@Header: {^X-DSPAM-Probability: 1\.0000}

    > It is so different to OE (I know, I know....) and I've been using OE for
    > news for, like, ever. (Not for email though).

    Dialog is MUCH more powerful. Not for your light weights though, it's only
    for people who have a clue.

    Email and news, and it does both very well. Bonus: does not execute ANY
    files in HTML mail; infact, it will not even retrieve the pictures in it if
    they are outside of the message.

    The only thing I have noticed it is missing is a bell for use in the
    filteres - e.g., message from important person makes an audiable ding/.wav.
    Would be handy for drawing attention to job orders, etc. Also if it allowed
    a little window to be popped up too would be nice...

    Probably do it with the scripting. But I'm not wanting to do that for such
    a simple thing.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #400459 +(4206)- [X]

    <Sonium> someone speak python here?
    <lucky> HHHHHSSSSSHSSS
    <lucky> SSSSS
    <Sonium> the programming language

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/11/2005 6:30:18 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 5, 2005
  18. Lukagain

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:25:38 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>I use 40tude Dialog. Agent clone, with all the stuff they forgot (including
    >>multiple news servers), and free.

    > Can Dialog do tabbed full-sized windows like Agent does?

    Think so. Seem to recall doing that by accident, I don't use it like that
    myself though.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #414593 +(7055)- [X]

    DragonflyBlade21: A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is
    probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees
    him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy,
    but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the
    guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great
    resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not
    going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for
    comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who
    is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work
    out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never
    hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the
    person that we hired.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/11/2005 1:20:36 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 5, 2005
  19. Lukagain

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:54:09 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Trying it now. As with all 'new' software I'm having teething
    >> trouble. Can I filter to not download/display posts based on groups
    >> they are crossposted to? A couple of my main groups are besieged by
    >> cross-posting trolls. This is my main motivation to change from OE,
    >> it won't filter them and the trolls seem to have random 'from'
    >> generators (defeats killfile) but always cross to the same groups.

    > Should be able to - it has very powerful filtering, including regular
    > expressions. In addition, it has scripting language as well.
    >
    > For example, I can filter woger with it, regardless of his nym
    > shifting
    > shit.
    >
    > Try looking on the web for examples, specifically the wiki on the
    > 40tude
    > web site.

    <snip>

    Thanks for that, may have to put aside some time and set it up properly.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2005
  20. Lukagain

    Robert Scott Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:46:36 +1300, XP <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:39:42 +1300, Lukagain <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thinking of upgrading for version2 Not convinced yet though. Its major
    >>benefit seems to be multiple newservers - not an issue really for me
    >>though.
    >>What do folks here use these days for a newsreader.

    >Its been lambasted on Web sites as being far to complicated..
    >
    >Plus in the news group also..

    I'm using Agent Ver 3x and slotted into it fairly easily, going from
    Ver 2x to Ver 3x without too much drama. Rather than upgrade my Ver 2
    I preferred to do a new install.

    Anybody who needs help with Agent could read the news group
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent where you are welcome to ask
    questions. The people who frequent the Agent news group are very
    helpful and includes Agent's own personnel.
    --

    /\ Regards,
    \/ Robb
    Robert Scott, Nov 6, 2005