Age Requirements?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Nick9210, Jul 11, 2007.

  1. Nick9210

    Nick9210 Guest

    Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    ready to take this exam.
     
    Nick9210, Jul 11, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > ready to take this exam.


    Nick while I truly admire your enthusiasm, I am not sure how this
    certification will help you in this juncture of your life. However, I
    would love to hear your point of view.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
     
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 11, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nick9210

    Nick9210 Guest

    Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave high
    school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
    work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
    summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
    (upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
    wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
    because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
    Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
    just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-18) I will be
    able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or other
    related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the wrong
    idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I know
    I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think that
    when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
    bit!

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

    > "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    > news::
    >
    > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > > ready to take this exam.

    >
    > Nick while I truly admire your enthusiasm, I am not sure how this
    > certification will help you in this juncture of your life. However, I
    > would love to hear your point of view.
    >
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
    >
    >
    >
     
    Nick9210, Jul 11, 2007
    #3
  4. Nick9210

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave
    > high
    > school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
    > work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
    > summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
    > (upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
    > wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
    > because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
    > Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
    > just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-18) I will
    > be
    > able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or
    > other
    > related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the
    > wrong
    > idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I
    > know
    > I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think
    > that
    > when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
    > bit!
    >

    Nick, your positive attitude and maturity have impressed me greatly, and
    it's not often that I'm so impressed by one as young as you!

    You don't mention in your plans going to college or university and obtaining
    an IT degree - I do hope you haven't dismissed this option, as a degree
    really does open doors for you (at least it does in the UK, where I'm from).
    You can still continue running your side business and/or working part-time
    in the IT industry while you study.

    Whatever you decide to do, your experience will give you an advantage when
    it comes to applying for entry level positions. Your English grammar and
    spelling are very good too - always guaranteed to impress potential
    employers!

    Best of luck.

    The IT Girl MCDST
     
    TheITGirl, Jul 11, 2007
    #4
  5. Nick9210

    John R Guest

    "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave
    > high
    > school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
    > work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
    > summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
    > (upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
    > wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
    > because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
    > Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
    > just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-18) I will
    > be
    > able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or
    > other
    > related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the
    > wrong
    > idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I
    > know
    > I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think
    > that
    > when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
    > bit!
    >


    Showing initiative and enthusiasm at your age will never be the 'wrong
    idea'. Even though by the time you become more 'employable' XP will likely
    be on the way out, the fact that you demonstrated the drive and maturity to
    accomplish it is something that will always shine on your resume. I would
    not hesitate to encourage you to pursue it.

    John R
     
    John R, Jul 11, 2007
    #5
  6. Nick9210

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <>
    wrote:
    > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > ready to take this exam.


    Rock on man!

    That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
    even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
    that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
    local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
    CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
    look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
    was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
    100%".

    Doogie Houser, IT
     
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 11, 2007
    #6
  7. Nick9210

    Nick9210 Guest

    "djpimpdaddy" wrote:

    > On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <>
    > wrote:
    > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > > ready to take this exam.

    >
    > Rock on man!
    >
    > That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
    > even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
    > that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
    > local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
    > CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
    > look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
    > was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
    > 100%".
    >
    > Doogie Houser, IT


    I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
    Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
    faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
    working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
    it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
    highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
    foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
    I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
    real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
    like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
    store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
    me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
    working position.

    I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
    a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.

    Nick Silvia
     
    Nick9210, Jul 11, 2007
    #7
  8. Nick9210

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 11, 11:18 am, Nick9210 <>
    wrote:
    > "djpimpdaddy" wrote:
    > > On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > > > ready to take this exam.

    >
    > > Rock on man!

    >
    > > That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
    > > even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
    > > that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
    > > local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
    > > CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
    > > look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
    > > was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
    > > 100%".

    >
    > > Doogie Houser, IT

    >
    > I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
    > Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
    > faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
    > working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
    > it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
    > highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
    > foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
    > I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
    > real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
    > like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
    > store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
    > me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
    > working position.
    >
    > I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
    > a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.
    >
    > Nick Silvia- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Well just be sure to choose your path well ahead of time. Take some
    time and explore http://www.microsoft.com/learning . If you are that
    good with computers perhaps you may want to go in a different
    certification direction. I do think that the MCDST would definitely
    land you a job at age 16 if you can interview well. Perhaps a guidance
    councelor at school can assist with that aspect. I can say that
    without any access to other operating systems like Server 2003 you
    would be hard pressed to do an MCSE track. Unless you downloaded
    Virtual PC and got a friend to pass you a "funny" copy of Sever
    2003....for educational purposes only! Does anyone know if the MCSE
    books give out demo software for server anymore?
     
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 11, 2007
    #8
  9. Nick9210

    Nick9210 Guest

    "djpimpdaddy" wrote:

    > On Jul 11, 11:18 am, Nick9210 <>
    > wrote:
    > > "djpimpdaddy" wrote:
    > > > On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <>
    > > > wrote:
    > > > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > > > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
    > > > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > > > > ready to take this exam.

    > >
    > > > Rock on man!

    > >
    > > > That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
    > > > even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
    > > > that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
    > > > local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
    > > > CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
    > > > look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
    > > > was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
    > > > 100%".

    > >
    > > > Doogie Houser, IT

    > >
    > > I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
    > > Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
    > > faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
    > > working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
    > > it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
    > > highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
    > > foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
    > > I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
    > > real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
    > > like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
    > > store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
    > > me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
    > > working position.
    > >
    > > I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
    > > a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.
    > >
    > > Nick Silvia- Hide quoted text -
    > >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Well just be sure to choose your path well ahead of time. Take some
    > time and explore http://www.microsoft.com/learning . If you are that
    > good with computers perhaps you may want to go in a different
    > certification direction. I do think that the MCDST would definitely
    > land you a job at age 16 if you can interview well. Perhaps a guidance
    > councelor at school can assist with that aspect. I can say that
    > without any access to other operating systems like Server 2003 you
    > would be hard pressed to do an MCSE track. Unless you downloaded
    > Virtual PC and got a friend to pass you a "funny" copy of Sever
    > 2003....for educational purposes only! Does anyone know if the MCSE
    > books give out demo software for server anymore?
    >

    Well it's funny you mention that because I use Server 2003 everyday. I work
    at my school during the summer fixing computers, installing different things,
    etc. So I access servers all day and run commands from them. I also do things
    like add users to active directory and all those other things that would be
    present in a school system. And I'm definitely good with computers which is
    why I want to go for these certifications. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I also
    have an old computer at home that I put Server 2000 on to mess around. I've
    used it as a file server, web server, and game server.
     
    Nick9210, Jul 11, 2007
    #9
  10. Nick9210

    Guest Guest

    Nick,

    I can see your enthusiasm about this cert, and it's great to see that you
    know what you want to do as well as the means to get it. I noticed that in
    each of the replies, that not a single person mentioned getting your A+
    cert. In my experience, we've hired more people that have had their A+ over
    those with the DST cert. Essentially, the DST says you know Windows XP.
    However, the A+ cert says you know printers and other peripherals, hard
    drives, etc. as well as various operating systems, and also at least the
    basics in troubleshooting both hardware and software. In my experience, the
    A+ has been much more valuable than the DST. The DST is a great addition,
    but I would recommend that before you spend the money on the DST, go for the
    A+, then go for your DST.

    You also mentioned your experience with Server 2k and 2k3 - the A+, combined
    with the Network+ and the DST are a great jump towards the MCSA/MCSE tracks,
    and while they are somewhat outdated, I seriously doubt that every company
    with a server will migrate to 2k8 server right away. Believe it or not,
    there are still quite a few still using NT4 server and 2k server, so those
    skills are still in demand. I'm currently working towards my MSCA 2003 as
    that is what we are using here, and will continue to use for quite some
    time.

    So, to sum it up, it might be worth your while to check into the A+ cert
    first, get that taken care of, then go for the DST. As I said previously,
    the A+ will help you land the job at the shop more than the DST will.

    good luck to you on whatever you choose.

    Doug

    "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am
    > only
    > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > ready to take this exam.
     
    Guest, Jul 11, 2007
    #10
  11. "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    news::

    Well there you go Nick! You have the support of just about everyone in
    the group! If you are new to this NG, you do not know the everyday
    conversations concerning experience and certifications. The difference
    between you and others is that you are getting experience and just not
    picking up a book and reading about objectives. Keep this up brother.
    Your career will be based on your performance, work ethic and
    willingness to lead. It sounds like you have a great head start. Please
    post back and let us know how you do.


    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com
     
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 12, 2007
    #11
  12. Nick9210

    Guest

    Thank God, there's no age requirement in these certification exams - I'm 41
    and barely starting an IT career after having worked in the engineering
    industry for ages! I'm studying every Sat to prepare myself for the MCDST
    exam that I plan to take hopefully next month. Most of my collegues in their
    20s are already certified so taking the exam for me is really just a personal
    validation that I am worthy to be in the IT industry.
    I am so glad I found this group, as I know that I will learn a lot from the
    threads and hope that it will help me attain my goal of pursuing an MCSA.
    Live and learn....

    "D" wrote:

    > Nick,
    >
    > I can see your enthusiasm about this cert, and it's great to see that you
    > know what you want to do as well as the means to get it. I noticed that in
    > each of the replies, that not a single person mentioned getting your A+
    > cert. In my experience, we've hired more people that have had their A+ over
    > those with the DST cert. Essentially, the DST says you know Windows XP.
    > However, the A+ cert says you know printers and other peripherals, hard
    > drives, etc. as well as various operating systems, and also at least the
    > basics in troubleshooting both hardware and software. In my experience, the
    > A+ has been much more valuable than the DST. The DST is a great addition,
    > but I would recommend that before you spend the money on the DST, go for the
    > A+, then go for your DST.
    >
    > You also mentioned your experience with Server 2k and 2k3 - the A+, combined
    > with the Network+ and the DST are a great jump towards the MCSA/MCSE tracks,
    > and while they are somewhat outdated, I seriously doubt that every company
    > with a server will migrate to 2k8 server right away. Believe it or not,
    > there are still quite a few still using NT4 server and 2k server, so those
    > skills are still in demand. I'm currently working towards my MSCA 2003 as
    > that is what we are using here, and will continue to use for quite some
    > time.
    >
    > So, to sum it up, it might be worth your while to check into the A+ cert
    > first, get that taken care of, then go for the DST. As I said previously,
    > the A+ will help you land the job at the shop more than the DST will.
    >
    > good luck to you on whatever you choose.
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "Nick9210" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
    > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am
    > > only
    > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
    > > ready to take this exam.

    >
    >
    >
     
    , Jul 12, 2007
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFcu?=

    Wireless network and Age of Empires Expansion multiplayer

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFcu?=, Apr 5, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,680
    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFcu?=
    Apr 5, 2005
  2. pkwijibo

    oid for arp age

    pkwijibo, Mar 24, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    494
    pkwijibo
    Mar 24, 2005
  3. josh
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,544
  4. Not Known

    Pass %age required

    Not Known, Nov 17, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    34
    Views:
    1,082
  5. ASGSOFT

    Age requirements

    ASGSOFT, Sep 18, 2005, in forum: MCAD
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    325
    bobbobbins
    Sep 19, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page