    several modems and telephone lines.

    Or does anyone have a better idea?

    (*)They cannot change in anyway.

    Stumproot, May 4, 2005

  2. Stumproot

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Stumproot wrote:
    > Question: Can my computer use VoIP to connect to a modem?
    >
    > So besides arguing over whether or not this is a good idea.
    > Does anyone have a good idea to whether this is possible or not?
    >
    > I want to use it to connect from a computer to several modems at once.
    >
    > I have to connect to several relative stupid(*) measurment boxes.
    > They have a 9600 modem and sometimes tha data can take a couple
    > of hours to download. I want to be able to do this without using
    > several modems and telephone lines.
    >
    > Or does anyone have a better idea?
    >

    > (*)They cannot change in anyway.

    Sure you can, BUT... ask your VoIP provider if their compression
    algorithms will work with your particular modem.

    Rick Merrill, May 4, 2005

  3. Stumproot

    Cloaked Guest

    Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.

    My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that
    you have to tell them in advance before they will guarantee that it
    will work! No doubt they configure specified lines to accomodate this.

    Cloaked, May 4, 2005
  4. Stumproot

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Cloaked wrote:
    > Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.
    >
    > My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that
    > you have to tell them in advance before they will guarantee that it
    > will work! No doubt they configure specified lines to accomodate this.

    Not according to what I have heard: there are "some brands" of FAX that
    will not work (or not work well) with certain ATA (analog/home telephone
    adapters).

    Rick Merrill, May 4, 2005
  5. Stumproot

    cloaked Guest

    Fair enough. Then they are just making sure that you get equipment
    that will work with the FAX.

    I thought there might be some sort of QoS configuration involved.
    After all, a FAX is a real-time 2 way link. To guarantee it working
    properly, you could raise the priority on the QoS.

    cloaked, May 5, 2005
  6. Stumproot

    wkearney99 Guest

    If you're going to connect to remote devices that are all on modems then
    you're not going to be able to escape using multiple phone lines. That is,
    if the remote device is only connected via a POTS line then VOIP isn't going
    to help.

    If the remote devices have IP available then there's no need for VOIP at
    all. Just use a serial-to-ethernet device.

    For some reason you've latched onto the idea of misusing modems, dsp chips
    and VOIP for this purporse. None of your MANY explanations have ever really
    justified the hassles you keep proposing.

    wkearney99, May 7, 2005