AGAIN, please critique

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by crazylikedat, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. crazylikedat

    crazylikedat Guest

    Hi all...

    I took heed to all of the great info that I was given last week,
    especially about my large gallery full of "cruft" wasting everyone's
    time. I spent the weekend reading up on photo editing and have been
    working non-stop ever since. (My husband may commit me as he
    should...it is 4:00 AM my time and I have done little else!!!)

    I have 16 photos in my gallery that I think are much better. Even my
    favorites turned out better with a little tweeking.

    I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my much smaller gallery
    and give me the same brutal honesty as last time - yes, I am a glutton
    for punishment!! I think I have improved given the good critiques that
    I received last time. I can only get better, right?

    http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

    Again, thanks to Larry, Marvin, Bob, Derek, News Guy Mike, Sheldon,
    Frank, Ben, Krystian and Rudy for all the great advice.

    Tanya

    crazylikedat, Mar 8, 2005

  2. crazylikedat

    Beano Guest

    Unimaginative subject matter and framing throughout. Extremely average,
    almost pedestrian, I'd say.

    Beano, Mar 8, 2005

  3. crazylikedat

    Drude Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I took heed to all of the great info that I was given last week,
    > especially about my large gallery full of "cruft" wasting everyone's
    > time. I spent the weekend reading up on photo editing and have been
    > working non-stop ever since. (My husband may commit me as he
    > should...it is 4:00 AM my time and I have done little else!!!)
    >
    > I have 16 photos in my gallery that I think are much better. Even my
    > favorites turned out better with a little tweeking.
    >
    > I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my much smaller gallery
    > and give me the same brutal honesty as last time - yes, I am a glutton
    > for punishment!! I think I have improved given the good critiques that
    > I received last time. I can only get better, right?
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    > Again, thanks to Larry, Marvin, Bob, Derek, News Guy Mike, Sheldon,
    > Frank, Ben, Krystian and Rudy for all the great advice.
    >
    > Tanya

    Other than the fact that a couple are out of focus, I think they're all
    great. Ignore any comments from idiots (Beano, for instance...let's see
    his pictures...).

    Anyway, nice work...

    Drude

    Drude, Mar 8, 2005
  4. crazylikedat

    Larry Guest

    In article <MPG.1c9770351d492a4a9896a7@shawnews>, says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Hi all...
    > >
    > > I took heed to all of the great info that I was given last week,
    > > especially about my large gallery full of "cruft" wasting everyone's
    > > time. I spent the weekend reading up on photo editing and have been
    > > working non-stop ever since. (My husband may commit me as he
    > > should...it is 4:00 AM my time and I have done little else!!!)
    > >
    > > I have 16 photos in my gallery that I think are much better. Even my
    > > favorites turned out better with a little tweeking.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my much smaller gallery
    > > and give me the same brutal honesty as last time - yes, I am a glutton
    > > for punishment!! I think I have improved given the good critiques that
    > > I received last time. I can only get better, right?
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    > >
    > > Again, thanks to Larry, Marvin, Bob, Derek, News Guy Mike, Sheldon,
    > > Frank, Ben, Krystian and Rudy for all the great advice.
    > >
    > > Tanya
    > >

    > Other than the fact that a couple are out of focus, I think they're all
    > great. Ignore any comments from idiots (Beano, for instance...let's see
    > his pictures...).
    >
    > Anyway, nice work...
    >
    > Drude

    Loved the BARN (00400) It looks like a calendar shot to me..

    As before, the shots could be a little brighter, but they only need a TOUCH,
    not a slam.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  5. crazylikedat

    Big Bill Guest

    On 8 Mar 2005 02:11:16 -0800, "crazylikedat" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >I took heed to all of the great info that I was given last week,
    >especially about my large gallery full of "cruft" wasting everyone's
    >time. I spent the weekend reading up on photo editing and have been
    >working non-stop ever since. (My husband may commit me as he
    >should...it is 4:00 AM my time and I have done little else!!!)
    >
    >I have 16 photos in my gallery that I think are much better. Even my
    >favorites turned out better with a little tweeking.
    >
    >I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my much smaller gallery
    >and give me the same brutal honesty as last time - yes, I am a glutton
    >for punishment!! I think I have improved given the good critiques that
    >I received last time. I can only get better, right?
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries
    >
    >Again, thanks to Larry, Marvin, Bob, Derek, News Guy Mike, Sheldon,
    >Frank, Ben, Krystian and Rudy for all the great advice.
    >
    >Tanya

    The only comment I'll make is this:
    If you're going to present a gallery for critique, don't open the
    gallery with a pic such as DSC_0234. It's so fuzzy that it hurts, and
    it gives a very bad first impression.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 8, 2005
  6. crazylikedat

    Roy Guest

    Hi, Not too bad.

    The Sunset (0234), the cow, the barn door, and both owls, need a bit more
    contrast to wake them up, and they will become much better, almost very
    good.

    Some of the others you need to think a little bit more about what the
    subject of the picture actually is. The ones with the Silhouetted trees in
    particular. They look Ok as Thumbnails, but when you get to see all the
    detail, there is no real subject there.

    As a photographic judge on the Camera Club circuit, none of them would get
    the maximum 20, but that won't be a surprise. Most would be in the 14 to 16
    area, which is "competent average". A few would be 12s.

    Having said all of that, you have to be your own judge. Are they as good as
    you want? I suspect not.

    Really look at them and decide which parts you don't like, and also try to
    figure out which bits you do like. Also take every opportunity you have, to
    look at other peoples photos, and apply the same criterion to them. When
    you are taking photos remember those decisions, and try to apply them.

    Progress in photography, is not a smooth slope, it is more like a series of
    steps. You will find that one of your crop of pictures is suddenly much
    better than the rest. You will work more carefully and more of your pictures
    will be up to that higher standard, then suddenly again, one will be even
    better.

    The advice about dumping "Crap" is very sound. Everyone takes a fair number
    of "Rubbish" pictures, and in the old days of film, to get 2 really top
    class Photos (18, 19, 20 markers) from any one Film was well above average.

    If you want to get back at/to me, please feel free to have a look at my
    stuff, and give me your honest opinion. No matter how unkind you are, worse
    has already been said. http://homepages.tesco.net/~roy.gibson1/

    Roy G

    Roy, Mar 8, 2005