    their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    (well, some support Pentax.).
    RichA, Aug 11, 2010

  2. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    > their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    > (well, some support Pentax.).

    Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    mounts are not available in Canada?
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 11, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon andNikon

    On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    > > their bottom line.  Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    > > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    > > (well, some support Pentax.).

    > Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    > mounts are not available in Canada?

    No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    Olympus.
    Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    only for Canon and Nikon.
    RichA, Aug 11, 2010
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    >> > their bottom line.  Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    >> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    >> > (well, some support Pentax.).

    >> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    >> mounts are not available in Canada?

    >No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    >makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    >Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    >Olympus.
    >Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    >only for Canon and Nikon.

    I'll admit it wasn't an exhaustive search, but the two lenses I
    selected at random on the Tamron web site were listed as available for
    Canon, Nikon, Pentax, & Sony.

    And here's Sigma's compatibility chart, listing several camera brands:
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/dc-lens-compatability-chart
    John A., Aug 12, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    wrote:
    >On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    >> > their bottom line.  Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    >> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    >> > (well, some support Pentax.).

    >> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    >> mounts are not available in Canada?

    >No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    >makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    >Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    >Olympus.
    >Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    >only for Canon and Nikon.

    There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
    Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
    manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
    quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.

    Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
    offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.
    Bruce, Aug 12, 2010
  6. Tamron and Tokina are making lenses in Sony mount.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  7. Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >>On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    >>> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and
    >>> Pentax
    >>> mounts are not available in Canada?

    >>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    >>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    >>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    >>Olympus.
    >>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    >>only for Canon and Nikon.

    > There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
    > Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
    > manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
    > quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
    >
    > Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
    > offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

    I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such as
    the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
    niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't seem
    very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was available in
    4/3 mount yet the new one is not.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  8. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    >>>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    >>>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    >>>Olympus.
    >>>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    >>>only for Canon and Nikon.

    >> There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
    >> Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
    >> manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
    >> quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
    >>
    >> Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
    >> offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

    > I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
    > as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
    > niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't
    > seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
    > available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

    Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
    concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  9. Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bruce" <> wrote in message

    >>> There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
    >>> Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
    >>> manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
    >>> quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
    >>> offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

    >> I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
    >> as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
    >> niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't
    >> seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
    >> available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

    > Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
    > concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.
    >

    > --
    > Peter

    Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
    Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to reported
    a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a replacement.
    I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only with one Tokina.
    There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm defending Sigma.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  10. RichA

    Peter Guest

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Bruce" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
    >>> as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into
    >>> the niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they
    >>> don't seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
    >>> available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

    >> Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
    >> concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
    > Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to
    > reported a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a
    > replacement. I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only with
    > one Tokina. There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm
    > defending Sigma.

    I can understand and even forgive QC issues. What drove me up the wall was
    when Tim, the Sigma rep kept trying to BS me by telling me it was supposed
    to be that way. If one of my employees ever did the equivalent, I would have
    canned him on the spot.

    You don't lie to customers.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  11. Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message

    >>> Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
    >>> concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
    >> Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to
    >> reported a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a
    >> replacement. I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only
    >> with one Tokina. There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm
    >> defending Sigma.

    > I can understand and even forgive QC issues. What drove me up the wall was
    > when Tim, the Sigma rep kept trying to BS me by telling me it was supposed
    > to be that way. If one of my employees ever did the equivalent, I would
    > have canned him on the spot.
    >
    > You don't lie to customers.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    That can't be defended. That lens will always be a tight-fit, there's no
    "break-in" that will occur. To insinuate that it would loosen up was not
    right. It would have been simple to say that they'd just get another lens
    off of the shelf for you. I would have undoubtedly returned that one, it
    was far too tight.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Aug 12, 2010
  12. RichA

    Peter Guest

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >> I can understand and even forgive QC issues. What drove me up the wall
    >> was when Tim, the Sigma rep kept trying to BS me by telling me it was
    >> supposed to be that way. If one of my employees ever did the equivalent,
    >> I would have canned him on the spot.
    >>
    >> You don't lie to customers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > That can't be defended. That lens will always be a tight-fit, there's no
    > "break-in" that will occur. To insinuate that it would loosen up was not
    > right. It would have been simple to say that they'd just get another lens
    > off of the shelf for you. I would have undoubtedly returned that one, it
    > was far too tight.

    It might have eventually loosened up. But, if the fitting on my camera was
    softer than the metal on the Sigma, I would have had a major problem. After
    lunch I went to Nikon and they thoroughly checked the fittings. We even
    tried other Nikon Lenses on other bodies. All was according to specs.
    Eventually sigma will get the message. But, since they do not have me on
    board as a consultant, I have no reason to spend to spend any more time on
    this issue.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 12, 2010
  13. Re: Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

    In rec.photo.digital RichA <> wrote:
    > On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    >> > their bottom line.  Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    >> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    >> > (well, some support Pentax.).

    >> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
    >> mounts are not available in Canada?

    > No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
    > makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
    > Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
    > Olympus.

    > Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
    > only for Canon and Nikon.

    Tamron has also moved into Sony.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Aug 12, 2010
  14. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:23:38 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
    : their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
    : the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
    : (well, some support Pentax.).

    Olympus?? Given how you've sneered at them lately, wouldn't you think any
    3rd-party lens company was insane that spent even one Loonie on supporting
    their cameras?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 14, 2010