    Am I risking damage to the Coolpix 885 by using one of the aftermarket
    batteries?

    -David K.
    David Kassnoff, Sep 18, 2003

  2. David Kassnoff

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, davek57
    @yahoo.com says...
    > Am I risking damage to the Coolpix 885 by using one of the aftermarket
    > batteries?

    In most cases they work just fine. I have two aftermarket and two Canon
    batteries for my 10D and they all work just fine.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 18, 2003

  3. David Kassnoff

    Jim Townsend Guest

    David Kassnoff wrote:

    > It's fairly easy to find non-OEM batteries on eBay for any digital
    > camera requiring a proprietary battery design. But sometimes the
    > voltages aren't the same as OEM batteries. Example: Nikon Coolpix 885
    > takes an EN-EL1 battery, rated at 7.4v with 600mAh. Aftermarket
    > EN-EL1 batteries seem to have more juice -- say, 650-700mAh -- but
    > voltage is lower, around 7.2v.
    >
    > Am I risking damage to the Coolpix 885 by using one of the aftermarket
    > batteries?
    >
    > -David K.

    The 'juice' in mah is a rating of the length of time a battery will last.

    The 'h' in mah stands for 'hours'. The higher the rating, the longer the
    battery will last in a given application. Note that some cheapie aftermarket
    battery manufacturers give bogus or inflated mah ratings to make thier
    batteries look better than they really are.

    As long as the voltage is within 5% you should be fine. A .2v difference is
    pretty well meaningless.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 18, 2003