    but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
    Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
    can I disable it?
    Mohammad Dickinmyass, Jul 9, 2007

  2. Mohammad Dickinmyass

    Guest

    , Jul 9, 2007

  3. On Jul 9, 1:30 am, wrote:
    > Mohammad Dickinmyass <> wrote:
    >
    > >I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
    > >but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
    > >Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
    > >can I disable it?

    > Google: sp2 slow after install
    >
    > Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583
    >
    > --
    >
    > 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    Thank you! That did it.
    Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
    notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
    an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
    stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
    updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
    see that thing any more.
    Thanx
    Mohammad Dickinmyass, Jul 9, 2007
  4. Mohammad Dickinmyass

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mohammad Dickinmyass" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 9, 1:30 am, wrote:
    >> Mohammad Dickinmyass <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
    >> >but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
    >> >Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
    >> >can I disable it?

    >> Google: sp2 slow after install
    >>
    >> Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    > Thank you! That did it.
    > Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
    > notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
    > an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
    > stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
    > updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
    > see that thing any more.
    > Thanx

    Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
    goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
    (Hint: double-click the red shield.)
    WhzzKdd, Jul 9, 2007
  5. On Jul 9, 2:47 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "Mohammad Dickinmyass" <> wrote in message

    > >> Google:sp2slowafterinstall

    > >> Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583

    > >> --

    > >> 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    > > Thank you! That did it.
    > > Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
    > > notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
    > > an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
    > > stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
    > > updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
    > > see that thing any more.
    > > Thanx

    > Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
    > goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
    > (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

    It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
    runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
    Micro$oft it never will.
    So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?
    Mohammad Dickinmyass, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Mohammad Dickinmyass

    Guest

    Mohammad Dickinmyass <> wrote:

    >> Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
    >> goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
    >> (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

    >It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
    >runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
    >Micro$oft it never will.
    >So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?

    Start | Run <type in>
    services.msc
    <enter>

    Find Automatic Updates, Stop, disable, apply

    You can also run FIREWALL.CPL for other changes you might want to
    make, like stop it, as I'm sure you have another firewall.
    --

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDVC1Ex9kAA
    , Jul 10, 2007
  7. On Jul 9, 9:24 pm, wrote:
    > Mohammad Dickinmyass <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
    > >> goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
    > >> (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

    > >It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
    > >runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
    > >Micro$oft it never will.
    > >So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?

    > Start | Run <type in>
    > services.msc
    > <enter>
    >
    > Find Automatic Updates, Stop, disable, apply
    >
    > You can also run FIREWALL.CPL for other changes you might want to
    > make, like stop it, as I'm sure you have another firewall.
    > --

    Yes, I do have another firewall. Two in fact. A software & a hardware.
    But after I read Whzzkid's remarks (and my reply) I went off in search
    of the word "update" in regedit.
    I found three possible solutions and exported then each to my desktop
    before changing them.
    One of them worked and the red shield is no more.
    Now, using the process of elimination I'll discover which one it is
    and reunite the other two with their happy places in the bowels of my
    registry.

    Mohammad Dickinmyass, Jul 10, 2007