    account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this computer.

    Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be the
    next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

    john.west, Dec 17, 2009

  2. john.west

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    john.west wrote:
    > The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came with
    > this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My Computer window
    > to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see the C drive was
    > still three quarters full, the same as before I did the re-install.

    Computer make and model?
    Was the disk a full windows disk or a manufacturers recovery disk?

    > Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB and
    > MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that would
    > account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this computer.

    What is the total size of your hard drive?
    What is the used space?
    What is the free space?

    > Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere?

    A physical disk can have many partitions, the first of which may be
    called C:

    What does Disk manager have to say about your disk and partitions?

    > What would be the next sensible step please?

    Provide as much information as possible about your system and what
    exactly you are/were trying to achieve.

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 17, 2009

  3. john.west

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:

    > The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
    > with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
    > Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see
    > the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I did the
    > re-install.
    >
    > Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB
    > and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that
    > would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this
    > computer.
    >
    > Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be
    > the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

    It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
    and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
    have formatted.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Dec 17, 2009
  4. john.west

    john.west Guest

    "freemont" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:
    >
    >> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
    >> with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
    >> Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see
    >> the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I did the
    >> re-install.
    >>
    >> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB
    >> and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that
    >> would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be
    >> the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

    > It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
    > and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
    > have formatted.
    > "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    > ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    Thanks. Is there any way i can format it now without having to go through
    all the procedure again? (i just never noticed the option to format, but did
    get confused when they started giving options about partitioning).

    john.west, Dec 17, 2009
  5. john.west

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:47:59 +0000, john.west writ:

    > "freemont" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:
    >>
    >>> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
    >>> with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
    >>> Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to
    >>> see the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I
    >>> did the re-install.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows
    >>> 3.4GB and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but
    >>> nothing that would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored
    >>> somewhere on this computer.
    >>>
    >>> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would
    >>> be the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

    >> It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
    >> and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
    >> have formatted.

    > Thanks. Is there any way i can format it now without having to go
    > through all the procedure again? (i just never noticed the option to
    > format, but did get confused when they started giving options about
    > partitioning).

    Heheh... oh, my. Yes, I'm afraid you'll have to go through it again. We
    are a bit lost, aren't we? :)

    Note this and pay close attention: you will lose EVERYTHING on that drive
    after a format. If you have pictures, documents, music, or whatever else
    saved on that hard drive in that computer, it will be GONE after
    formatting the drive, and you will not be able to get it back. That needs
    to be crystal clear in your head. A lot of people just don't /get/ that,
    until it's too late. They say they understand, they format and install,
    and immediately ask where all their Itunes went.

    *Everything will be gone after formatting.*

    Now. If you don't have anything on the drive that you want to keep, then
    do what you did before, only this time, choose to format the drive.
    Format it NTFS, and choose "quick" format to save time. Good luck.

    freemont, Dec 17, 2009