    an optional extra. The dominant supplier of small computer systems
    seems quite incapable of producing an operating system with security
    designed and built into its heart.

    peterwn, May 24, 2008

  2. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    On May 24, 1:53 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > See:http://www.stuff.co.nz/4554754a28.html
    >
    > "Stuff's guide to security software"
    >
    > Security should be built into the operating system, not bolted on as
    > an optional extra. The dominant supplier of small computer systems
    > seems quite incapable of producing an operating system with security
    > designed and built into its heart.

    The lessons learned in the early days of operating systems seem to
    have been forgotten by Microsoft.
    In the beginning it was possible for an application to splatter itself
    all over the operating system and other programs and all over memory
    and storage devices.
    Then came memory protection, and various ways for the operating system
    to protect itself and to restrict applications to the data they were
    supposed to work with.
    Under Windows, files are held just anywhere. Viruses can add
    themselves to applications. Few people have any idea of what is
    running in their machine apart from the applications they aksed to
    run. Often Windows tries to hide what system software is doing, and
    system files. Bloody hopeless. And yes I have done better.

    Matty F, May 24, 2008