    horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    send us back to an agrarian society.
    Frank B., Jan 29, 2006

  2. Frank B.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Frank B. wrote:
    > Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    > send us back to an agrarian society.

    It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2006

  3. In article Duane Arnold wrote:
    >Frank B. wrote:
    >> Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    >> question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    >> vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    >> another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    >> horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    >> detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    >> send us back to an agrarian society.
    >>

    >It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    >about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    >that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    Really?
    Teach your kids Chinese,
    buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus

    http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...egory=general news&story_id=130046&y=2002&m=2
    US won't stay on top, says Clinton
    MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Frank B.

    JTJersey Guest

    JTJersey, Jan 29, 2006
  5. Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    In <c%9Df.8399$> (MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE) writes:

    >Really?
    >Teach your kids Chinese,
    >buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus

    Hey, don't discount an abacus that quickly. When we were
    on that interplanetary shuttle and the main computer's
    power supply was knocked off service, it was only
    thanks to lots of sweat and improvised abacuses
    that we were able to calculate the rocket engine
    twekas to get us back on track.

    Not quite to our destination, but close enough
    for short range radio contact. Wore our fingers just
    about to the bone, though.

    danny burstein, Jan 29, 2006
  6. Frank B.

    Jbob Guest

    "Frank B." <> wrote in message
    > Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer
    > to send us back to an agrarian society.

    Computers are here to stay. What you will see is updated interface devices,
    storage techniques and transmission methods. You will see smaller keypads,
    optical storage techniques/methods as well as optical/wireless for
    transmission. Copper wire will disappear at least in quantities in
    electronics. Many of these things will be much more tolerant to EMP type
    devices.
    I will admit that todays infrastructure is all too dependant on this fragile
    network we have. Just look at our nations energy tranmission/capacity
    weaknesses! Backup/alternate means tend to follow long before they should
    be. Unfortunately in a society based on profit margins and supply/demand
    they backups typically do not follow until a disaster. Most of our
    technology is commerce driven today short of what is developed by the
    military.

    You could also add to the list our water supply as well. Just ask the SW
    USA.
    Jbob, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Frank B.

    Plato Guest

    Frank B. wrote:

    > Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    > send us back to an agrarian society.

    The world will continue to depend on computers to do their every task no
    matter what the risk.
    Plato, Jan 29, 2006
  8. Frank B.

    Brad Guest

    Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    Networks are certainly not unreliable people are, with advanced
    protocols which multi billion pound companys depend on for transactions
    and the functioning of their business they have reached a brilliantly
    reliable stage.

    Ie, STP, and tonnes or routing protocols such as BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, they
    permit private networks to adapt and work even when half the earth is
    missing! The internet is only unreliable due to the static routes that
    ISPs program into their routers which dont evolve to the dynamic
    network.

    With evolving technologies such as biological computers using neurons
    (just google it), and I heard somewhere they were creating monitors
    using similar techniques.

    But no system is perfect and any system can be knocked en masse out
    using various methods, huge companies and the goverment just keep them
    underground in nuclear bunkers anyway :D
    Brad, Jan 29, 2006
  9. Frank B.

    Cosmopolite Guest

    MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE wrote:
    > In article Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>Frank B. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    >>>question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    >>>vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    >>>another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    >>>horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    >>>detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    >>>send us back to an agrarian society.
    >>>

    >>It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    >>about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    >>that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    > Really?
    > Teach your kids Chinese,
    > buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus
    >
    > http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...egory=general news&story_id=130046&y=2002&m=2
    > US won't stay on top, says Clinton

    Twenty years ago, we were told to learn Japanese. What happened ?

    Twenty years from now. Punjabi ? It's a global village, get used

    to it.
    Cosmopolite, Jan 29, 2006
  10. Frank B.

    Cosmopolite Guest

    Frank B. wrote:

    > Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    > send us back to an agrarian society.

    The nukes were comming in the 50's, so we were told. Didn't happen

    then, won't happen now.
    Cosmopolite, Jan 29, 2006
  11. Frank B.

    Guest

    Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    We have known how protect against these attacks from before the age of
    computers. google for "Faraday Cage" for more.
    , Jan 29, 2006
  12. Frank B.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE wrote:
    > In article Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>Frank B. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    >>>question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    >>>vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    >>>another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    >>>horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    >>>detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    >>>send us back to an agrarian society.
    >>>

    >>It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    >>about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    >>that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    > Really?
    > Teach your kids Chinese,
    > buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus
    >
    > http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...egory=general news&story_id=130046&y=2002&m=2
    > US won't stay on top, says Clinton

    When the US falls from grace, you won't be around. Until then, it's
    business as usual. And it will be for computers too business as usual.
    The risk is there and technology is not going to change. The computers
    have worked the same way since 1971. It's just more *locos* have access
    to them.

    Dane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 29, 2006
  13. Frank B.

    Frank B. Guest

    Frank B., Jan 29, 2006
  14. Frank B.

    glugg Guest

    Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE wrote:
    > In article Duane Arnold wrote:
    > >Frank B. wrote:
    > >> Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > >> question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > >> vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > >> another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > >> horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > >> detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer to
    > >> send us back to an agrarian society.
    > >>

    > >It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    > >about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    > >that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    > Really?
    > Teach your kids Chinese,
    > buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.

    If that's your stragety then make sure your children learn about
    environmental rehabilitation. It will be growth industry in China.
    glugg, Jan 30, 2006
  15. Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    In article "glugg" wrote:
    >MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE wrote:

    >> >It is what it is and if technology changes radically enough, you'll know
    >> >about it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime that things change
    >> >that much that you'll notice it, IMHO

    >> Really?
    >> Teach your kids Chinese,
    >> buy them an abacus as our own leaders sell us out.

    >If that's your stragety then make sure your children learn about
    >environmental rehabilitation. It will be growth industry in China.

    'will never happen.
    With assets to seize
    and people to burn.
    Think Charleton Heston; made in China:
    Soylent Green is made out of Peeple.
    http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/16645.jpg
    http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/103849.jpg
    MANFRED the heat seeking OBOE, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Frank B.

    Lars Guest

    Lars, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Frank B.

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Jan 30, 2006
  18. Frank B.

    nemo_outis Guest

    Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    Notan <> wrote in

    > Lars wrote:
    >>
    >> slide rules, stupid.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

    > Maybe it *was* smart of me to hold onto the old college 'rule!
    >
    > Notan

    Mine's a K&E Log-Log-Decitrig

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 30, 2006
  19. Re: AFTER Computers; What's Next?

    The people I know that learned Japanese two decades ago are now very
    rich, and getting richer.
    Roger Coppock, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Frank B.

    Donnie Guest

    "Frank B." <> wrote in message
    > Not being a true "computer guy" I'm not really sure how to ask this
    > question. Due to the fragility of todays computer networks and their
    > vulnerability to electro-magnetic pulses, among other things, is their
    > another radically different and more armored system out there on the
    > horizon? Some say it's a matter of time before an enemy of the U.S.
    > detonates a nuclear airburst above this country and fries every computer

    > send us back to an agrarian society.

    You're not far off but just a liitle. There are weapons which aren't
    nuclear at all and they don't hurt anyone. They just totally fry a
    country's entire electrical grid for an easy 6 months. In 1960, Khrushchev.
    the Russian leader talked about a treaty on such weapons and noone had a
    clue what he was talking about. I don't have the URL at the moment because
    I'm not on my own machine but there is a retired major who has a web site w/
    all the info. Try a search on electromagnetic weapons.
    donnie.
    Donnie, Jan 31, 2006