After boot up ...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmEgZA==?=, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. Hello all,

    now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed and
    running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i was
    wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:

    when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs running.
    about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
    startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they are

    1. wscntfy.exe
    2. alg.exe
    3. svchost.exe
    4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
    5. SmSvcHost.exe
    6. cisv.exe

    then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will start.

    7. cidaemon.exe

    And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the task
    mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do they
    run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in on
    boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't start to
    run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?

    thanks
    shiva d

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmEgZA==?=, Nov 12, 2007

  2. Hi,
    Here's all you need to know about cidaemon.exe
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cidaemon/
    "cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer
    to enable for faster file searches. This program is important for the stable
    and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"
    It is important that the name of the service is spelled "cidaemon.exe"
    because there is a malware named "CiDaemon.exe".
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 12, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmEgZA==?=

    Theo Guest

    You should note that "retail" editions and "oem" editions
    are two (2) different products. The Retail package can be
    transferred from one computer to another, only one instance
    installed at a time, but an OEM package is tied to a single
    computer until death and cannot be legally transferred to
    another computer.

    Retail versions entitle you to Support directly from Microsoft.

    OEM Support is only available from the OEM manufacturer of
    your computer like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. If you buy an
    OEM version, with a qualifying piece of hardware, from
    someplace like NewEgg then there is virtually no support.

    Theo, Nov 12, 2007
  4. Are you serious? This not being an MS product, do you suppose it should
    really not be turned off? This is what third-party people would be expected
    to tell you, but normally you'd be fine disabling the Indexer Service
    f.ex. - and that is an internal service.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2007
  5. Tony,
    cidaemon.exe belongs to MS.
    It is not third party.
    Check here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899869/en-us

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 13, 2007
  6. Oh - I see!

    Seems to be a spot-on diagnosis, now.

    These links appear to be contradicting each other somewhat. I would at least
    try and set the Indexing Service to 'Manual' to keep it from starting at
    boot-time.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmEgZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like it waits until the machine has spare cycles before it starts.

    John Barnes, Nov 13, 2007