After all this years... Microsoft still CRAP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Au79

    Tester Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:18:36 -0800, Au79 <> wrote:

    >Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView Dbgv.sys Privilege Escalation

    [quote from the help file for this program]
    DebugView is an application that lets you monitor debug output on your
    local system, or any computer on the network that you can reach via
    TCP/IP. It is capable of displaying both kernel-mode and Win32 debug
    output generated by standard debug print APIs, so you don’t need a
    debugger to catch the debug output your applications or device drivers
    generate, and you don't need to modify your applications or drivers to
    use non-Windows debug functions in order to view its debug output.
    [close quote]

    Can this program be used with standard Windows at all? Or only with
    the debug build that you get if you're a member of the Microsoft
    Developers' Network?

    What per centage of Windows users use this program in a lifetime? As
    many as .01%? You'd think that anyone who would ever use it would
    realize that it might be used in dangerous situations and take
    precautions.

    Of course, there are no utterly obscure programs which are never used
    by most Linux users and are only used for debugging purposes which
    have exploits.

    What none? No, none!

    What none? Well hardly any!

    So give three cheers and one cheer more for the First Church of Linux
    Advocacy (Orthodox)
    Tester, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:NFkYi.6044$:

    > Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView Dbgv.sys Privilege Escalation
    >
    > Secunia - UK
    >
    > A vulnerability has been reported in Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView,
    > which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated
    > privileges. ...
    >
    ><http://secunia.com/advisories/27552/>

    Well if having a bug in your software means the entire organisation behind
    it is crap that means all software developers are CRAP.

    This is a very obscure tool that typical users will never ever use and a
    newer version is available that addresses this issue.
    Fuzzy Logic, Nov 7, 2007
  4. On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:31:19 GMT, Fuzzy Logic
    <> wrote:

    >Au79 <> wrote in news:NFkYi.6044$:
    >
    >> Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView Dbgv.sys Privilege Escalation
    >>
    >> Secunia - UK
    >>
    >> A vulnerability has been reported in Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView,
    >> which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated
    >> privileges. ...
    >>
    >><http://secunia.com/advisories/27552/>
    >>

    >Well if having a bug in your software means the entire organisation behind
    >it is crap that means all software developers are CRAP.

    That would make me CRAP despite having over 30 years experience
    working on various operating systems including Windows, Unix, Linux
    and a few others. Perhaps just touching a Microsoft product causes the
    problem for us developers.

    >This is a very obscure tool that typical users will never ever use and a
    >newer version is available that addresses this issue.

    I had never even heard of the tool.
    Steve Wolstenholme, Nov 7, 2007
  5. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Tester wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:18:36 -0800, Au79 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Microsoft Sysinternals DebugView Dbgv.sys Privilege Escalation

    > [quote from the help file for this program]
    > DebugView is an application that lets you monitor debug output on your
    > local system, or any computer on the network that you can reach via
    > TCP/IP. It is capable of displaying both kernel-mode and Win32 debug
    > output generated by standard debug print APIs, so you donÂ’t need a
    > debugger to catch the debug output your applications or device drivers
    > generate, and you don't need to modify your applications or drivers to
    > use non-Windows debug functions in order to view its debug output.
    > [close quote]
    >
    > Can this program be used with standard Windows at all? Or only with
    > the debug build that you get if you're a member of the Microsoft
    > Developers' Network?
    >
    > What per centage of Windows users use this program in a lifetime? As
    > many as .01%? You'd think that anyone who would ever use it would
    > realize that it might be used in dangerous situations and take
    > precautions.
    >

    > Of course, there are no utterly obscure programs which are never used
    > by most Linux users and are only used for debugging purposes which
    > have exploits.

    It is quite apparent that you have no idea what's used by most Linux users.
    Your sense of logic is almost as good as your grammar.

    > What none? No, none!
    >
    > What none? Well hardly any!
    >
    > So give three cheers and one cheer more for the First Church of Linux
    > Advocacy (Orthodox)

    ....and unorthodox too!

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux