Afraid of heights? Don't watch this.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:33:31 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    Actually, he did have a safety clip he used a couple of times.

    I have been on a tower 180 feet tall and dismantled it. Small based Rohn
    25. About as wide as the top section of this big tower. Lots of fun to work
    on.

    I usually free climbed up to about 80 feet or so then began using the
    clips. The view from 180 feet is awesome.

    But you ain't gonna get me on a tower like that over 200 feet or so.

    richard, Sep 16, 2010

  3. Meat Plow

    richard Guest

    richard, Sep 16, 2010
  4. Meat Plow

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/16/2010 12:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    Holy Shit !!!!!!!!!!

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Sep 16, 2010
  5. Meat Plow

    meerkat Guest

    "OldGringo38" <> wrote in message
    > On 9/16/2010 12:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I
    >>

    > Holy Shit !!!!!!!!!!

    You took the words right out of my mouth OG.
    I wouldn`t go up ther if you paid me, unless I had
    my Angel wings on.
    bw...

    meerkat, Sep 16, 2010
  6. Meat Plow

    joevan Guest

    joevan, Sep 16, 2010
  7. Meat Plow

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:37:56 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:33:31 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    > Those are better men than I, gunga din.

    some years back the national geographic featured an awesome photo of
    chicago. It was taken from atop the sears tower radio tower. Showing a guy
    changing the light bulb. He was laid out on an arm doing it.

    I'd have to give some deep thought before I'd make that climb.
    It's not the height, it's what you see below that would scare the hell out
    of me.

    One job I've always considered doing, is changing the light bulbs on the
    mackinac bridge.

    richard, Sep 16, 2010
  8. Meat Plow

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/16/2010 1:28 PM Just to please that super-ego, meerkat wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message
    >> On 9/16/2010 12:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I
    >>>

    >> Holy Shit !!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > You took the words right out of my mouth OG.
    > I wouldn`t go up ther if you paid me, unless I had
    > my Angel wings on.
    > bw...

    I'll bet that job goes for more than minimum wage. Have any idea what
    they get paid for that? Beyond me at any price.

    OldGringo38, Sep 16, 2010
  9. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:18:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 9/16/2010 1:28 PM Just to please that super-ego, meerkat wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message
    >>> On 9/16/2010 12:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    >>> the following tidbit of information:

    >>> Holy Shit !!!!!!!!!!
    >>>

    >> You took the words right out of my mouth OG. I wouldn`t go up ther if
    >> you paid me, unless I had my Angel wings on.
    >> bw...
    >>

    > I'll bet that job goes for more than minimum wage. Have any idea what
    > they get paid for that? Beyond me at any price.

    A nephew of mine worked on cell towers until he went on a crack cocaine
    binge and didn't show up for work a couple times. He wasn't making much
    more than 15 / hr.

    Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2010
  10. Meat Plow

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:41:27 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:18:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/16/2010 1:28 PM Just to please that super-ego, meerkat wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message

    >>> You took the words right out of my mouth OG. I wouldn`t go up ther if
    >>> you paid me, unless I had my Angel wings on.
    >>> bw...
    >>>

    >> I'll bet that job goes for more than minimum wage. Have any idea what
    >> they get paid for that? Beyond me at any price.

    > A nephew of mine worked on cell towers until he went on a crack cocaine
    > binge and didn't show up for work a couple times. He wasn't making much
    > more than 15 / hr.

    i'm sure these guys get way more than that. I think they get paid by the
    job rather than by the hour. You figure half your day is spent climbing the
    damn thing.

    richard, Sep 16, 2010
  11. Meat Plow

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/16/2010 2:41 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:18:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/16/2010 1:28 PM Just to please that super-ego, meerkat wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message

    >>> You took the words right out of my mouth OG. I wouldn`t go up ther if
    >>> you paid me, unless I had my Angel wings on.
    >>> bw...
    >>>

    >> I'll bet that job goes for more than minimum wage. Have any idea what
    >> they get paid for that? Beyond me at any price.

    > A nephew of mine worked on cell towers until he went on a crack cocaine
    > binge and didn't show up for work a couple times. He wasn't making much
    > more than 15 / hr.

    The cell towers I've seen wouldn't bother me, I have been up some tall
    telephone poles in my time.

    OldGringo38, Sep 16, 2010
  12. Meat Plow

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Life-As-a-Wireless-Tower-Climber-86842

    OldGringo38, Sep 16, 2010
  13. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:45 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 9/16/2010 2:41 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:18:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/16/2010 1:28 PM Just to please that super-ego, meerkat wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:

    >>> I'll bet that job goes for more than minimum wage. Have any idea what
    >>> they get paid for that? Beyond me at any price.

    >> A nephew of mine worked on cell towers until he went on a crack cocaine
    >> binge and didn't show up for work a couple times. He wasn't making much
    >> more than 15 / hr.
    >>

    > The cell towers I've seen wouldn't bother me, I have been up some tall
    > telephone poles in my time.

    Cell towers have to be 300 feet by design. That's what 30 stories on a
    building?

    Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2010
  14. Meat Plow

    olfart Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:37:56 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:33:31 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    >> Those are better men than I, gunga din.

    > some years back the national geographic featured an awesome photo of
    > chicago. It was taken from atop the sears tower radio tower. Showing a guy
    > changing the light bulb. He was laid out on an arm doing it.
    >
    > I'd have to give some deep thought before I'd make that climb.
    > It's not the height, it's what you see below that would scare the hell out
    > of me.
    >
    > One job I've always considered doing, is changing the light bulbs on the
    > mackinac bridge.

    How many stOOpids does it take to change a lightbulb?

    olfart, Sep 16, 2010
  15. Meat Plow

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:57:09 -0400, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:37:56 -0400, joevan wrote:

    >>> Those are better men than I, gunga din.

    >> some years back the national geographic featured an awesome photo of
    >> chicago. It was taken from atop the sears tower radio tower. Showing a guy
    >> changing the light bulb. He was laid out on an arm doing it.
    >>
    >> I'd have to give some deep thought before I'd make that climb.
    >> It's not the height, it's what you see below that would scare the hell out
    >> of me.
    >>
    >> One job I've always considered doing, is changing the light bulbs on the
    >> mackinac bridge.

    >How many stOOpids does it take to change a lightbulb?

    Same number for olfarts, 8, seven to turn the ladder and one to hold
    the bulb.

    joevan, Sep 16, 2010
  16. Meat Plow

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/16/2010 4:39 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:45 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/16/2010 2:41 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> A nephew of mine worked on cell towers until he went on a crack cocaine
    >>> binge and didn't show up for work a couple times. He wasn't making much
    >>> more than 15 / hr.
    >>>

    >> The cell towers I've seen wouldn't bother me, I have been up some tall
    >> telephone poles in my time.

    > Cell towers have to be 300 feet by design. That's what 30 stories on a
    > building?

    The only one here in town is on the water tower and the ones I have seen
    along the highway are 100ft max. I don't use a cell phone so don't know
    much about them. When I leave the house the last thing I want to hear
    is a phone ringing. :)

    OldGringo38, Sep 17, 2010
  17. Meat Plow

    G. Morgan Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    Looks like a scrambled cable channel to me, unwatchable. Ever since I
    "upgraded" to Flash 10.1.82.76 I've had nothing but problems.

    When is Flash going away fer chrissakes?? I hate it!

    G. Morgan, Sep 17, 2010
  18. Meat Plow

    G. Morgan Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >Cell towers have to be 300 feet by design. That's what 30 stories on a
    >building?

    The ones I see don't look anywhere near 300'. Maybe 60'-100' for stand-alone
    ones. I've seen cells mounted on buildings much higher though.

    G. Morgan, Sep 17, 2010
  19. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:31:53 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXFNJwOa9I

    > Looks like a scrambled cable channel to me, unwatchable. Ever since I
    > "upgraded" to Flash 10.1.82.76 I've had nothing but problems.
    >
    > When is Flash going away fer chrissakes?? I hate it!

    Ummm flash is not going away anytime soon. Flash plugins work great in my
    linux install. Was watching some HD video last night on Hulu.

    Meat Plow, Sep 17, 2010
  20. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:36:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 9/16/2010 4:39 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:45 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/16/2010 2:41 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    >>> the following tidbit of information:

    >>> The cell towers I've seen wouldn't bother me, I have been up some tall
    >>> telephone poles in my time.

    >> Cell towers have to be 300 feet by design. That's what 30 stories on a
    >> building?
    >>

    > The only one here in town is on the water tower and the ones I have seen
    > along the highway are 100ft max. I don't use a cell phone so don't know
    > much about them. When I leave the house the last thing I want to hear
    > is a phone ringing. :)

    I don't know what you are seeing along the highway but depending on the
    local elevation GSM and CDMA-EVO X towers need to be 150 - 300 feet.

    Meat Plow, Sep 17, 2010