    Is there any way to access that folder, or is there a program that can
    kill this thing?

    , Jul 21, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Trend Micro keeps finding the following file infected:
    >
    > C:\System Volume
    > Information\_restore{367B36FD-7738-4024-825E-918A78F51890}\RP108\A0040634.exe
    >
    > But it can't delete or even quarantine that file and I can't manually
    > delete it because I don't know of a way to access the System Volume
    > Info folder.
    >
    > It says that the file is infected with <a
    > href="http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/ve_graywareDetails.asp?GNAME=ADW%5FESEPOR%2ED">ADW_ESEPOR.D</a>
    > adware.
    >
    > I've run Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and Trend Micro.
    > Trend Micro only finds it during the real-time scan, not the manual
    > scan and none of the other programs have found it.
    >
    > Is there any way to access that folder, or is there a program that can
    > kill this thing?

    Yes. I believe that's in a system restore folder. You obviously are running
    Win ME or XP. You didn't say which (you really should include that info when
    you post here, BTW). The easiest way to get rid of the file would be to
    turn off System Restore, then rescan, then turn on System Restore again.

    However, if you are experiencing other problems and feel that you would need
    the system restore function, don't do that. Turning off system restore
    deletes *all* restore points.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2005