    can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
    says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is spyware

    what to do?

    Christo, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Christo

    Jon Cosby Guest

    "Christo" wrote:
    >I got this message from norton AV pro 2003 auto protect
    >
    > i couldnt open norton to scan the file individually in safe mode because
    > of an error with definitions
    >
    > i have uninstalled norton
    >
    > the advpack.dll is still in the system32 directory of my root drive
    >
    > I am on XP Home SP2
    >
    > can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
    > says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is spyware
    >
    > what to do?

    Don't delete it, it is a system file. Where did you read that it is spyware?

    Jon

    Jon Cosby, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Christo

    Christo Guest

    "Jon Cosby" <> wrote in message
    > "Christo" wrote:
    >>I got this message from norton AV pro 2003 auto protect
    >>
    >> i couldnt open norton to scan the file individually in safe mode because
    >> of an error with definitions
    >>
    >> i have uninstalled norton
    >>
    >> the advpack.dll is still in the system32 directory of my root drive
    >>
    >> I am on XP Home SP2
    >>
    >> can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
    >> says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is
    >> spyware
    >>
    >> what to do?
    >>

    > Don't delete it, it is a system file. Where did you read that it is
    > spyware?
    >

    > Jon

    i cannot remember it was a google i will check net history, ah balls it isnt
    there, sorry but i downloaded it from www.dlldump.com and deleted my file in
    safe mode and copied the new file in safe mode

    Christo, Dec 24, 2004
  4. Christo

    hunnicuddler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Well, 2 years later and I have the same problem! System Machanic 6 detected that a file Advpack.dll was spyware on its Optimising Start Up deep procedure. However, Windows replaced it after it was deleted and I ran SM6 Pro again. This time it ignored the file.

    CONLUSION: Maybe there is a program that replaces the genuine Advpack.dll with a spyware dummy Trojan. Maybe in one of the free SP2 packs off the internet or through another program. There again it maybe a fault with Spyware detectors.

    As long as the file is replaced with Windows automatically then there's no real problem and we can thank God for great Spyware removal programs.

    :congrats:

    hunnicuddler, Oct 17, 2006