Advitisers Changing your code!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze), Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Now this was no supprise to me! But according to the email I got from ORCON
    <paste>
    Changes to Orcon Free Hosting

    >From the 10th of February 2008 we will be making some changes to our

    great FreeHost product.

    Firstly we're changing the platform that FreeHost is on so you will get
    a better free service. The new platform comprises of multiple load
    balanced and clustered web servers. That means more reliability, and
    faster load times for your website.

    We will also be changing the URL address of your FreeHost site.
    Currently it is http://cooze.orcon.net.nz, this will change to
    http://cooze.orconhosting.net.nz

    If you're thinking wait-a-minute, everyone knows my
    http://cooze.orcon.net.nz URL, will I just lose all my visitors? No, we
    will automatically redirect users from your old URL to your new URL for
    3 months at no cost (until the 15th of May 2008).

    In addition to changing the FreeHost platform and URL we will also be
    introducing Google AdSense advertisements to your site. This means that
    at the very top of your webpage there will be advertisements.

    The revenue generated from this advertising will go back into ensuring
    that the FreeHost platform delivers great performance, and most
    importantly, remains free.

    Nothing will happen to your content and all your code will still work
    the same as it always has.
    What ads will be displayed on my site?

    The advertisements that are delivered will be tailored to be relevant to
    your websites content. So if your website has text about USB Wifi then
    the ads will be relevant to USB Wifi.
    I don't like ads and I don't want ads on my site, what can I do?

    We know some people don't like ads, so we have a really affordable
    entry-level hosting plan.

    For $12 (excl GST) a month you can get 50MB of space with unlimited
    traffic, full PHP support and you can run CGI scripts. If you also want
    to get your own domain e.g. myowndomain.co.nz you can get that through
    us for an extra $3 (excl GST) a month. All you need to do is call 0800
    139 990 and we'll get everything arranged for you.
    Has the way I upload/make changes to my site changed?

    No, you still use the same username and password.

    If you have any other questions that we haven't answered feel free to
    send us an email ().

    Cheers,
    The Orcon Team.
    </paste>

    The buggers have changed my simple code and have added javascript.... I
    use there site as a way to host images for http://cooze.co.nz and the
    html was just a test, quick and dirty! now my hosting package is way
    cheeper than what they are offering but for the bandwith. Now till I
    start making money I will be keeping my site split with images on a free
    thing and the code on the host provider. I mite just remove the html and
    see what happens.

    RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze), Feb 13, 2008

  2. RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze) > wrote:
    > Now this was no supprise to me! But according to the email I got from ORCON
    > <paste>
    > Changes to Orcon Free Hosting
    >
    > >From the 10th of February 2008 we will be making some changes to our

    > great FreeHost product.
    >
    > Firstly we're changing the platform that FreeHost is on so you will get
    > a better free service. The new platform comprises of multiple load
    > balanced and clustered web servers. That means more reliability, and
    > faster load times for your website.
    >
    > We will also be changing the URL address of your FreeHost site.
    > Currently it is http://cooze.orcon.net.nz, this will change to
    > http://cooze.orconhosting.net.nz
    >
    > If you're thinking wait-a-minute, everyone knows my
    > http://cooze.orcon.net.nz URL, will I just lose all my visitors? No, we
    > will automatically redirect users from your old URL to your new URL for
    > 3 months at no cost (until the 15th of May 2008).
    >
    > In addition to changing the FreeHost platform and URL we will also be
    > introducing Google AdSense advertisements to your site. This means that
    > at the very top of your webpage there will be advertisements.
    >
    > The revenue generated from this advertising will go back into ensuring
    > that the FreeHost platform delivers great performance, and most
    > importantly, remains free.
    >
    > Nothing will happen to your content and all your code will still work
    > the same as it always has.
    > What ads will be displayed on my site?
    >
    > The advertisements that are delivered will be tailored to be relevant to
    > your websites content. So if your website has text about USB Wifi then
    > the ads will be relevant to USB Wifi.
    > I don't like ads and I don't want ads on my site, what can I do?
    >
    > We know some people don't like ads, so we have a really affordable
    > entry-level hosting plan.
    >
    > For $12 (excl GST) a month you can get 50MB of space with unlimited
    > traffic, full PHP support and you can run CGI scripts. If you also want
    > to get your own domain e.g. myowndomain.co.nz you can get that through
    > us for an extra $3 (excl GST) a month. All you need to do is call 0800
    > 139 990 and we'll get everything arranged for you.
    > Has the way I upload/make changes to my site changed?
    >
    > No, you still use the same username and password.
    >
    > If you have any other questions that we haven't answered feel free to
    > send us an email ().
    >
    > Cheers,
    > The Orcon Team.
    > </paste>
    >
    > The buggers have changed my simple code and have added javascript.... I
    > use there site as a way to host images for http://cooze.co.nz and the
    > html was just a test, quick and dirty! now my hosting package is way
    > cheeper than what they are offering but for the bandwith. Now till I
    > start making money I will be keeping my site split with images on a free
    > thing and the code on the host provider. I mite just remove the html and
    > see what happens.

    Now why didnt I think of using my free host on orcon for bandwidth
    conservation on my weather site http://tokoroa.dyndns.org, of course no
    one will ever see the site on orcon but I could host the images there.
    Oh dear the ethics of it are dodgie but.....
    Collector€NZ, Feb 13, 2008

  3. RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)

    Richard Guest

    RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze) > wrote:

    > The buggers have changed my simple code and have added javascript.... I
    > use there site as a way to host images for http://cooze.co.nz and the
    > html was just a test, quick and dirty! now my hosting package is way
    > cheeper than what they are offering but for the bandwith. Now till I
    > start making money I will be keeping my site split with images on a free
    > thing and the code on the host provider. I mite just remove the html and
    > see what happens.

    I would expect that something to combat hotlinking would be the next
    thing if you keep hosting images there.
    Richard, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Richard wrote:
    > RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze) > wrote:
    >
    >> The buggers have changed my simple code and have added javascript....
    >> I use there site as a way to host images for http://cooze.co.nz and
    >> the html was just a test, quick and dirty! now my hosting package is
    >> way cheeper than what they are offering but for the bandwith. Now till
    >> I start making money I will be keeping my site split with images on a
    >> free thing and the code on the host provider. I mite just remove the
    >> html and see what happens.

    > I would expect that something to combat hotlinking would be the next
    > thing if you keep hosting images there.

    I was thinking that would be the next thing that could happen to the
    free hosting. But Hang on I am a paying coustomer of Orcon I only
    started using there free hosting when I was on dialup, and now on ADSL
    with them. The Ihug page I used to have is long gone as I am nolonger a
    customer whih them. In the good old bad days having an ISP provided
    webspace was that one of the draw card to pick an ISP

    RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze), Feb 13, 2008