Advise on which ATA device to buy?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by John, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I want to try Voip without having the PC switched on to make a call so it's
    more family friendly to use.



    As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market and I understand
    some are much poorer quality than others I feel it would be wise to seek
    advice on this before I buy one.



    I have been looking at the specs of the Pluscom SIP VOIP VPA-11 and Netgear
    Sipgate TA612V, so any advice would be very helpful at this point.



    I will be using this with a cable modem (up to 2Mb download) & Netgear
    WRG614 router.



    Also thinking about using the Sipgate service to start with, any advice on
    Voip providers will also be helpful as well. Main use will be internal UK
    calls.



    Thanks in advance,



    Jonathan
    John, Mar 17, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John wrote:
    > I want to try Voip without having the PC switched on to make a call
    > so it's more family friendly to use.
    >
    >
    >
    > As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market and I
    > understand some are much poorer quality than others I feel it would
    > be wise to seek advice on this before I buy one.
    >
    >



    Linksys / Sipura ATAs are the ones to go for.


    --
    60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/mob
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 17, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    news:bTYKh.7422$
    > John wrote:
    > > I want to try Voip without having the PC switched on to
    > > make a call so it's more family friendly to use.
    > >
    > > As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market
    > > and I understand some are much poorer quality than
    > > others I feel it would be wise to seek advice on this
    > > before I buy one.

    >
    > Linksys / Sipura ATAs are the ones to go for.


    I'd agree, however be aware that there are many, many configurable
    parameters on them which if you mess up can be a pain to sort out..! I've
    been using them for over 2 years and I still have problems sometimes..!

    Do you want just an ATA to plug into an existing router, or do you want an
    all-in-one device..? If the latter, I can recommend the AVM Fritz!Box
    range, see www.avm.de/en for info. They are also available from Sipgate's
    website, should you decide to use them.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 17, 2007
    #3
  4. John

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:49:31 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >wrote in message
    >news:bTYKh.7422$
    >> John wrote:
    >> > I want to try Voip without having the PC switched on to
    >> > make a call so it's more family friendly to use.
    >> >
    >> > As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market
    >> > and I understand some are much poorer quality than
    >> > others I feel it would be wise to seek advice on this
    >> > before I buy one.

    >>
    >> Linksys / Sipura ATAs are the ones to go for.

    >
    >I'd agree, however be aware that there are many, many configurable
    >parameters on them which if you mess up can be a pain to sort out..! I've
    >been using them for over 2 years and I still have problems sometimes..!
    >
    >Do you want just an ATA to plug into an existing router, or do you want an
    >all-in-one device..? If the latter, I can recommend the AVM Fritz!Box
    >range, see www.avm.de/en for info. They are also available from Sipgate's
    >website, should you decide to use them.
    >
    >Ivor

    And there you have it... Linksys/Sipura or Fritzbox.
    Some ATAs integrate your landline with voip - if you have a landline
    it makes sense to do that. Check out Fritzbox or SPA-3102 by Linksys.

    Check out:
    broadbandbuyer.co.uk
    broadbandstuff.co.uk
    or Froogle
    The range of Fritzboxes can be a bit confusing .
    Look specifically for 7140 or 7050 models that MUST be ANNEX A.
    If the model isn't quoted it most likely will not be one of these.


    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 17, 2007
    #4
  5. John

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:49:31 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:


    >They are also available from Sipgate's
    >website, should you decide to use them.


    Personality I would not touch anything from Sipgate they must be the
    most untrustworthy company that trades in the UK .
    J Clavox, Mar 17, 2007
    #5
  6. John

    Steve Barlow Guest

    "J Clavox" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:49:31 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>They are also available from Sipgate's
    >>website, should you decide to use them.

    >
    > Personality I would not touch anything from Sipgate they must be the
    > most untrustworthy company that trades in the UK .


    Can you qualify that sweeping statement - that many of us would disagree
    with?
    Steve Barlow, Mar 18, 2007
    #6
  7. John

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-17, John <> wrote:

    > As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market and I understand
    > some are much poorer quality than others I feel it would be wise to seek
    > advice on this before I buy one.
    >
    > I have been looking at the specs of the Pluscom SIP VOIP VPA-11 and Netgear
    > Sipgate TA612V, so any advice would be very helpful at this point.


    Besides being able to make VoIP calls the VPA-11 also connects to the
    PSTN so a single handset is all that is needed. Audio quality is good
    and registration with a provider is solid. There is room for 10 entries
    in an address book.

    It has a dialplan facility which is rather rudimentary compared with
    other ATAs and it does not pass caller-ID for incoming PSTN calls. If
    neither of these deficiencies bother you, the VPA-11, at about 25 GBP,
    is a decent, low cost device.

    Brian.
    Brian, Mar 18, 2007
    #7
  8. On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:30:42 +0000, J Clavox <>
    wrote:

    >Personality I would not touch anything from Sipgate they must be the
    >most untrustworthy company that trades in the UK .


    Oh do piss off you boring fart.
    Herman the German, Mar 18, 2007
    #8
  9. John

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:40:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2007-03-17, John <> wrote:
    >
    >> As there are many Analogue Phone Adapters on the market and I understand
    >> some are much poorer quality than others I feel it would be wise to seek
    >> advice on this before I buy one.
    >>
    >> I have been looking at the specs of the Pluscom SIP VOIP VPA-11 and Netgear
    >> Sipgate TA612V, so any advice would be very helpful at this point.

    Personally I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST locking yourself into any
    provider. That is exactly what you will be doing if you get, for
    example, a SIPGATE locked device. The prices will often be good in
    these cases because they know they are locking you into their system.
    If you want to get the best prices, quality, reliabilty and choice
    DON'T lock yourself in. We can all buy an inefficient fridge and then
    pay much more in the long run in increased electricity bills - the
    same goes for voip - lock yourself in and you will have no choice in
    what you pay and no second, back up, provider lest your primary
    provider should fail.

    My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
    or has previously been locked into any network. Put some money into a
    good ATA and you won't regret it. Capital costs don't matter in the
    long run it's running costs that count.

    voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 18, 2007
    #9
  10. In message <>, Brian A
    <> writes
    >My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
    >or has previously been locked into any network.


    What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA? My
    Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP and
    it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected to
    voip.co.uk

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Mar 18, 2007
    #10
  11. John

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:03:10 -0000, "Steve Barlow"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"J Clavox" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:49:31 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>They are also available from Sipgate's
    >>>website, should you decide to use them.

    >>
    >> Personality I would not touch anything from Sipgate they must be the
    >> most untrustworthy company that trades in the UK .

    >
    >Can you qualify that sweeping statement - that many of us would disagree
    >with?


    You probably would due to being brainwashed by Ivor Jones .
    J Clavox, Mar 18, 2007
    #11
  12. John

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:


    >voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.


    They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
    also.
    J Clavox, Mar 18, 2007
    #12
  13. John

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:38:00 +0000, Malcolm Loades
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>, Brian A
    ><> writes
    >>My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
    >>or has previously been locked into any network.

    >
    >What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA? My
    >Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP and
    >it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected to
    >voip.co.uk
    >

    I was trying to generalise instead of going into detail. There are
    many PAP2s on ebay that have previously been on Voange. Do a factory
    reset and.... you know the rest.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 18, 2007
    #13
  14. John

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:22:19 +0000, J Clavox <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

    >
    >They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
    >also.

    I do know that number but
    when I dial it on O2 I get an unobtainable tone and, on Orange, after
    a 'foreign' ring tone, I get a message in French.
    Looks like O2 and O don't like the competition. What these companies
    don't seem to realise is that they aren't losing a penny as very few
    people would use them for international calls anyway. It is better to
    keep customers happy.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 18, 2007
    #14
  15. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:10:46 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:22:19 +0000, J Clavox <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

    >>
    >>They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
    >>also.

    >I do know that number but
    >when I dial it on O2 I get an unobtainable tone and, on Orange, after
    >a 'foreign' ring tone, I get a message in French.
    >Looks like O2 and O don't like the competition. What these companies
    >don't seem to realise is that they aren't losing a penny as very few
    >people would use them for international calls anyway. It is better to
    >keep customers happy.


    I think you could be wrong Brian I never think about mobiles not using
    one very much never thought to give the mobile numbers for the
    service which are ......................................
    > The second number is intended for people who wish to make calls from mobile
    >phones where it is cheap or free to call 01/02 geographic numbers. The
    >access number for this service is 01635 578107


    >Both access numbers can be used 24/7. You will be able to call the same
    >destinations as with our O2 mobile access number 0773 066 6890. Anyone with
    >cross-network inclusive minutes on a mobile contract should use the O2
    >number instead of the geographic number, as we expect the geographic number
    >to be in huge demand! There is also another O2 access number to add extra
    >capacity on 0779 339 5236.

    Hope this helps .
    , Mar 18, 2007
    #15
  16. John

    harrogate3 Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:38:00 +0000, Malcolm Loades
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In message <>, Brian A
    > ><> writes
    > >>My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not

    locked
    > >>or has previously been locked into any network.

    > >
    > >What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA?

    My
    > >Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP

    and
    > >it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected

    to
    > >voip.co.uk
    > >

    > I was trying to generalise instead of going into detail. There are
    > many PAP2s on ebay that have previously been on Voange. Do a factory
    > reset and.... you know the rest.
    >


    I had been thinking of that route - what is the procedure for a
    factory reset on a Vonage PAP2? I would want to use it with voip.co.uk


    --
    Woody

    harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
    harrogate3, Mar 18, 2007
    #16
  17. John

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "harrogate3" <> wrote in message
    news:sZeLh.4820$
    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > news:...


    [snip]

    > > I was trying to generalise instead of going into
    > > detail. There are many PAP2s on ebay that have
    > > previously been on Voange. Do a factory reset and....
    > > you know the rest.
    > >

    >
    > I had been thinking of that route - what is the procedure
    > for a factory reset on a Vonage PAP2? I would want to use
    > it with voip.co.uk


    You misunderstand. Factory-reset an unlocked PAP2 and it relocks itself.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 18, 2007
    #17
  18. Malcolm Loades wrote:
    > In message <>, Brian A
    > <> writes
    >> My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
    >> or has previously been locked into any network.

    >
    > What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA? My
    > Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP and
    > it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected to
    > voip.co.uk
    >
    > Malcolm

    I've couple of ex BT ATA locked and locked Freetalk ATA Is it a major
    task to unlock ATA's?
    Have tried google for info but found nothing

    Cheers
    Duncan MacCallum, Mar 18, 2007
    #18
  19. John

    dmitri Guest

    Brian, do you know ATAs which pass caller-ID for incoming PSTN calls?

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:40:09 +0000, Brian wrote:
    > It has a dialplan facility which is rather rudimentary compared with
    > other ATAs and it does not pass caller-ID for incoming PSTN calls. If
    > neither of these deficiencies bother you, the VPA-11, at about 25 GBP,
    > is a decent, low cost device.
    >
    > Brian.
    dmitri, Mar 18, 2007
    #19
  20. John

    fa103 Guest

    Guys here is a small description of the Flexor 151 (amazing been using
    it for 6 months perfect and easy to use check out the hop on hop off
    feature!):

    http://www.connexin.co.uk then shop.

    Add an Internet Phone line instantly and start saving on your calls!

    A truly user friendly and reliable product
    Free additional landline.
    Unified VoIP and PSTN (landline)
    Quality of Service that really works.
    Emergency calls always possible
    Remote configuration and upgrades
    PC Integration
    Outlook Address Book Integration
    Do-not-disturb feature
    Visual Indication of voicemail
    Hop-on/off service (see below)


    Flexor sets new standards for VoIP access devices for the home and
    small business markets. This state-of-the-art VoIP access device
    allows traditional phones to be connected to the latest Internet VoIP
    services, without the need for a PC. It includes the features found on
    current VoIP devices, and adds unique innovative features combined
    with a desirable and elegant product design.

    Hop-on/off
    The Flexor comes with a service known as Hop-on/off. This allows you
    to dial into your landline number (that the flexor is attached to),
    enter your pin and then dial out over VoIP!
    fa103, Mar 19, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nick Knight

    Which Access Point Device to Buy? USB Adapter?

    Nick Knight, Jan 9, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    658
    Robert Jacobs
    Jan 10, 2005
  2. artlab

    ATA advise

    artlab, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    490
    Ramon F Herrera
    Sep 7, 2005
  3. sm9 ©
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    524
    sm9 ©
    Jul 22, 2003
  4. Mick

    Which ATA device?

    Mick, Aug 3, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,326
  5. harrogate3

    Which ATA to buy

    harrogate3, Jul 15, 2007, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    688
    Theo Markettos
    Jul 17, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page