    minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
    that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
    Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.
    Art, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Art

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Art wrote:
    > I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
    > scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
    > with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
    > minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
    > that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
    > Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

    One old rule of thumb is that you need at least 30% higher resolution
    than your final output resolution. If the HD is 1024 that says you need
    at least 1250 samples horizontal. I'd be safe and scan prints so that
    you end up with around 1500 samples horizontal.
    Don Stauffer, Apr 17, 2005

  3. Art

    Scott W Guest

    If you are taking the time to scan the photo to begin with I would scan
    them at a fairly high resolution and then resize as needed for the
    slide shows. For slide shows I like to size the photo to match the
    resolution of what ever they will be viewed on, this gives me control
    on how the photo is resized. When showing photos using my DVD player
    and TV I size the photos to 640 x 480, this both gives me control on
    how the photo looks and also they load a lot faster then an 8 MP photo.

    There are any number of programs that will resize a batch of photos all
    at once.

    If I am scanning prints I will normally scan at 300 pixel / inch,
    depending on the size and quality of the print. For some really small
    prints I can get a bit more buy scanning at higher resolutions and for
    some larger prints there is so little detail in the print that scanning
    higher then 150 is a waste of time.

    But my view is more pixels is better because you can always reduce the
    number of pixels but it is hard to increase the number.

    Scott
    Scott W, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Art

    Marvin Guest

    Art wrote:
    > I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
    > scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
    > with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
    > minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
    > that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
    > Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

    If these are typical prints, you won't capture more detail by scanning at more than 200 ppi/ And
    scanning at higher reslution will enhanche scratches and other blemishes. And you might as well
    scan in gray scale, except for color prints.

    Almost any scan will look better after sharpening.
    Marvin, Apr 17, 2005
  5. "Art" <> writes:

    > I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
    > scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
    > with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
    > minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
    > that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
    > Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

    Given how much work scanning is, and how cheap hard drive space and
    DVD-Rs are, I'd suggest scanning at much higher resolution than needed
    for an on-screen show, even an HDTV one. It'll take you little extra
    time, and you'll have a much higher-resolution archive to share with
    family members. Somewhere in the range of 150-300 dpi at 100%, to put
    it in flatbed scanner terminology. (Depending on the kind of prints,
    there may not be as much as 300dpi of information in them; there's
    almost *never* more in consumer snapshot prints.)
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 17, 2005