    Would love comfiguration ideas. (right now thinking 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 120 GB
    HD, 480 Watt power supply)

    Matthew.
    Matthew, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Matthew

    Captain Ron Guest

    I see absolutly no problem. Have you considered looking at the AMD 64? I ran
    these requirements and came up with $610 for an AMD 64 3400 with 1 GB RAM,
    SATA 120 GB (I would raid two and make this a 240 GB) and 480 watt power
    supply.

    I see no easy way to transfer your old OS. You could try to ghost the OS,
    just makwe sure your IDE controller is set to a default controller. I would
    just reinstall the entire OS and applications. This way the system is truely
    "NEW" without the old software hangups.

    "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about building my first computer and I would love some

    advise.

    > Do I have to buy Windows XP separate and the install it on my computer or

    is
    > there a way I can copy it from my old computer to the one I am building.
    >
    > I don't want to spend more the $1000. I want to use the computer for

    gaming
    > but I'm not a real serious gamer. I just want smooth graphics at decent
    > resolutions. I already have a NVIDIA 5200FX Ultra card that I plan to put

    in
    > the new computer so I don't have to buy that. I'm not going to buy a

    monitor

    Captain Ron, Aug 31, 2004