advice with wireless network??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Devin Panchal, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. hi,

    i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
    which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
    create a wireless network, and want to know the following?

    (BELKIN)
    wireless router- f5d6321uk4
    pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk

    (will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)

    1. are the above devices correct for my use?
    2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
    compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
    3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of the
    laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
    4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal, halo,
    over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
    5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
    6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?

    thanx

    devin panchal
    Devin Panchal, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Devin Panchal

    hawk Guest

    Well, the F5D6001 appears to be a PCI card for a desktop. Do you have
    a PCMCIA slot on your laptop? If yes, get a wireless PC card. F5D6020.
    If there is no PCMCIA slot, get the USB adapter, F5D6050. If I was
    installing new, I would go with "G". With the router, any PC can use
    the internet independent of any other computer. You probably won't
    notice any difference in internet speed unless two people are doing
    heavy duty surfing at the same time. Your 150k internet connection is
    slow compared to "B" 11MBs or "G" 54MBs. Don't know about the games.

    Good luck, hawk

    hawk, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Devin Panchal

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Just to clear things up...the 11 Mbps and 54Mbps have nothing to do with
    internet connection speeds. Those figures represent the max transfer rate
    between computers on the LAN; however you will not get anywhere near those
    figures in the real world. Your internet download speed of 150k is very
    low, and falls well within the range of either B or G. G offers greater
    speed on the LAN and has much better security. If G is an option, go G. Be
    aware that since G modems are backwards compatible with B, if you set your
    network up as a G network and introduce a single B device, the entire
    network will drop to B speed and security.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 4, 2004
  4. some more questions.

    1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls.
    2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
    computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
    e.g. msconfig??)

    thanx

    devin

    Devin Panchal, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Devin Panchal

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Cannot answer question #1. There are too many variable. Some of the
    variables are what are the walls made of? Are the wall studs wood or
    aluminum? How much conduit (electrical, water, heating) is in the vicinity?
    What other signals are in the vicinity (cordless phones, microwaves, other
    wireless networks)? Even the placement of the router affects this. Also, the
    power level at the output stage and the type of antenna the router/AP uses
    has a significant impact on the ability to transmit through walls/floors.
    FWIW, one of the best routers on the market for transmitting through
    walls/floors is a brand called Buffalo. Their products perform when other
    routers can't even be seen.

    The drivers should have little effect on the overall speed of the network.
    How they affect your computer depends on the type of processor you have, the
    amount of memory you have installed and is available to the Operating
    System, and the quality of the Power Supply in your computer.

    Please note that setting security on your network will have a minor impact
    on your network speed...but I would recommend that you do set up our network
    securely.

    If speed is your major concern, then you are better off going with a wired
    network. All things considered, a wired network will always be faster and
    more secure than any wireless network.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Devin Panchal

    hawk Guest

    Well, range depends on a lot of factors, but my routers typically
    reach 50 feet through three ordinary house walls with excellent signal
    strength.

    Not sure what you mean by "..adding all the software/drivers..". You
    have to install the software and drivers for the applications and
    hardware that you want to use. If you mean the various services that
    Windows starts, there are web sites that give advice on which are
    necessary and which can be disabled. Blackviper is a good one.

    hawk

    hawk, Jul 7, 2004
  7. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:12:02 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:

    >Cannot answer question #1. There are too many variable. Some of the
    >variables are what are the walls made of? Are the wall studs wood or
    >aluminum? How much conduit (electrical, water, heating) is in the vicinity?
    >What other signals are in the vicinity (cordless phones, microwaves, other
    >wireless networks)? Even the placement of the router affects this. Also, the
    >power level at the output stage and the type of antenna the router/AP uses
    >has a significant impact on the ability to transmit through walls/floors.
    >FWIW, one of the best routers on the market for transmitting through
    >walls/floors is a brand called Buffalo. Their products perform when other
    >routers can't even be seen.

    A reasonable range of Buffalo wireless broadband routers is available
    from ebuyer.com - but be sure that you get one which contains a cable
    modem and NOT an ADSL modem as the two are different.

    >Please note that setting security on your network will have a minor impact
    >on your network speed...but I would recommend that you do set up our network
    >securely.

    Hmm and in theory at least, WPA will have greater performance
    overheads than WEP, although (to my mind) the jury is still out as to
    whether you will notice any difference at all. I haven't (yet) since
    I switched over. For a home network 128bit WEP should more than
    sufficient.

    >If speed is your major concern, then you are better off going with a wired
    >network. All things considered, a wired network will always be faster and
    >more secure than any wireless network.

    Indeed. Personally I find network speed more than acceptable for
    anything I need to do - after all, it is vastly faster than my
    internet connection and my internet connection is vastly faster than
    the 150k one being suggested by the original poster. In addition to
    everything else my laptop plugs directly into my hi-fi. 15 years of
    enthusiastically collected cds (i.e thousands of songs) reside as
    192kbs MP3 files on my server hidden away in the attic. I can happily
    play these out faultlessly whilst doing plenty of other work at the
    same time - all of it across the network.
    Simon Pleasants, Jul 7, 2004