Advice wanted on ADSL router for both Mac and PC, please.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, May 10, 2004.

  1. Hi there.

    Can anyone offer advice on what I should be looking for in an ADSL
    router for use with an Xtra Telecom 256KB per second Jetsream
    connection?

    All I want is a decent device with good reliability, low price, at least
    three Ethernet ports and I'd prefer that it be compatible with MacOS
    8.6, 9.x and X. 8.6 support isn't an absolute must, but it would be very
    nice. Are there any versions of MS Windows I would have trouble with?

    I must admit, having been a 28.8 - 56k modem user for many years I'm a
    bit in the dark as to what constitutes compatibility with an ADSL
    router. I'm assuming it's as basic as having at least one machine with
    the right system specs to be able to configure the router via webpage
    with a Java (I need Java, right?) compatible browser. Is it this simple?
    What do I need to be aware of?

    Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
    is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill

    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 10, 2004

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Allistar Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > Can anyone offer advice on what I should be looking for in an ADSL
    > router for use with an Xtra Telecom 256KB per second Jetsream
    > connection?
    >
    > All I want is a decent device with good reliability, low price, at least
    > three Ethernet ports and I'd prefer that it be compatible with MacOS
    > 8.6, 9.x and X. 8.6 support isn't an absolute must, but it would be very
    > nice. Are there any versions of MS Windows I would have trouble with?
    >
    > I must admit, having been a 28.8 - 56k modem user for many years I'm a
    > bit in the dark as to what constitutes compatibility with an ADSL
    > router. I'm assuming it's as basic as having at least one machine with
    > the right system specs to be able to configure the router via webpage
    > with a Java (I need Java, right?) compatible browser. Is it this simple?
    > What do I need to be aware of?
    >
    > Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    If you want compatability definitely go with an external one, and make sure
    it has a built in DHCP server and firewall. I use a Nokia M1122, and
    although it is only 10Mb/s I have found it to be excellent. It is a bit old
    though so you may not be able to buy it any more (second hand maybe).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 10, 2004

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Don Gould Guest

    Head down to Disk Smith and pick up an XH1149.

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 11, 2004
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    a Guest

    In article <1gdlmaw.gn0zd41i21n1qN%>,
    says...
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Can anyone offer advice on what I should be looking for in an ADSL
    > router for use with an Xtra Telecom 256KB per second Jetsream
    > connection?
    >
    > All I want is a decent device with good reliability, low price, at least
    > three Ethernet ports and I'd prefer that it be compatible with MacOS
    > 8.6, 9.x and X. 8.6 support isn't an absolute must, but it would be very
    > nice. Are there any versions of MS Windows I would have trouble with?
    >
    > I must admit, having been a 28.8 - 56k modem user for many years I'm a
    > bit in the dark as to what constitutes compatibility with an ADSL
    > router. I'm assuming it's as basic as having at least one machine with
    > the right system specs to be able to configure the router via webpage
    > with a Java (I need Java, right?) compatible browser. Is it this simple?
    > What do I need to be aware of?
    >
    > Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    The Dynalink RTA300 works for me. It work work on *any* operating
    system that knows about TCP/IP and without that it would be difficult to
    use the internet ;)

    I'm assuming that your Mac, etc have ethernet ports. MS Windows 3.11
    would be a pain ;)

    The Dynalink router I use can be configured with any old web browser (no
    java required). Yes it is that simple.

    Just set all your machines to use DHCP to obtain IP addresses...
    Read the manual provided ;-)

    a, May 11, 2004
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    V Guest

    Dynalink RTA3xx is good, try to stay away from RTA2xx if possible.
    Nokia M1122, I think, is being recalled for somm electrical problem.
    Dick Smith is great, considering how much they are selling for. Great
    support too.

    V, May 11, 2004
  6. Thanks Allistar and Don for the advice on models.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 13, 2004