advice wanted flash photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Folks

    I have been asked to take some photographs at a friends engagement party.
    The request is on the basis of there viewing of some other work I have done
    at various day time parties etc. This is to be in the evening. I have
    little experience with flash. My rig is as follows:

    Canon 20D with range of L series lenses and a 420EX flash.

    My questions related to the best "idiot proof" set-up. Should I simply set
    the camera to fully auto with resultant flash settings or should I try using
    Ap priority or Shutter priority to obtain various effects. My main aim is
    to get high quality "snap memories". Not looking for anything artistic. My
    main fear is botching the exposures so I will shoot in raw.

    However, when it comes to setting things like high speed flash synchro etc,
    I am somewhat confused. I will not be using a tripod so am concerned when I
    read the manual and it talks about the camera setting slow shutter speeds to
    ensure exposure of background etc. It seems from my readings I can get
    correctly exposed subjects with dark backgrounds or correctly exposed
    backgrounds and subjects by using high speed flash sync but would then have
    to deal with the issue of slow shutter speeds. Any advice would be
    appreciated or pointers to sites that deal with flash photography.

    As always, looking forward to your input.
    regards
    Don From Down Under

    Don, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Don

    [BnH] Guest

    How dark is the scene ? also how high is the venue ceiling ?
    You can basically bounce your flash to get a warm tone ... OR .. just push
    your ISO to 800 , use your f/2.8 L glass @ wide open . and do some BW candid
    shots .

    =bob=

    [BnH], Mar 29, 2005

  3. Don

    YoYo Guest

    Don you got a digital camera so figure it out!

    Ex. when you get to the party take a few test shots with your lens & flash
    to figure out the lighting. After all you do get a preview and histogram.

    If I was in your shoes I would take all photos in "M" manual, I would then
    figure the DOF for each shot and adjust f/stop & shutter accordingly. The
    flash can be adjusted easily with the camera settings.

    You dont say what "L" you have but I would bring my 17-40L and my 50f/1.4
    for those group shots.

    Then there is the other option, no flash photos.
    I wouldn't do this unless I had to but you can always bump up the ISO and
    forget the flash.

    Hope that helped, go take some good shots!

    YoYo, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Don wrote:
    > Folks
    >
    > I have been asked to take some photographs at a friends engagement
    > party. The request is on the basis of there viewing of some other
    > work I have done at various day time parties etc. This is to be in
    > the evening. I have little experience with flash. My rig is as
    > follows:
    > Canon 20D with range of L series lenses and a 420EX flash.
    >
    > My questions related to the best "idiot proof" set-up. Should I
    > simply set the camera to fully auto with resultant flash settings

    Yes that is the most idiot proof. I suggest you play around with that
    idea in a situation as close to the real one as possible first and see if
    you like the results.

    > or
    > should I try using Ap priority or Shutter priority to obtain various
    > effects. My main aim is to get high quality "snap memories". Not
    > looking for anything artistic. My main fear is botching the
    > exposures so I will shoot in raw.
    > However, when it comes to setting things like high speed flash
    > synchro etc, I am somewhat confused. I will not be using a tripod so
    > am concerned when I read the manual and it talks about the camera
    > setting slow shutter speeds to ensure exposure of background etc. It
    > seems from my readings I can get correctly exposed subjects with dark
    > backgrounds or correctly exposed backgrounds and subjects by using
    > high speed flash sync but would then have to deal with the issue of
    > slow shutter speeds. Any advice would be appreciated or pointers to
    > sites that deal with flash photography.

    If you want idiot proof, go full auto. Yea the backgrounds will be
    dark, but you will get results. Again this is a good reason to do some
    testing and see what you can work with and what you like. Test it out
    before the party. If you don't have time to test it out, go full auto.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Don

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Folks
    >
    > I have been asked to take some photographs at a friends engagement party.
    > The request is on the basis of there viewing of some other work I have done
    > at various day time parties etc. This is to be in the evening. I have
    > little experience with flash. My rig is as follows:
    >
    > Canon 20D with range of L series lenses and a 420EX flash.
    >
    > My questions related to the best "idiot proof" set-up. Should I simply set
    > the camera to fully auto with resultant flash settings or should I try using
    > Ap priority or Shutter priority to obtain various effects. My main aim is
    > to get high quality "snap memories". Not looking for anything artistic. My
    > main fear is botching the exposures so I will shoot in raw.

    If you're really interested in using a flash on an EOS camera outside
    the auto modes, there is a *lot* to know.

    Here is a link to a great resource that might clear things up
    a bit:

    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

    Jim Townsend, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Don

    tomm101 Guest

    Get a Lumiquest light reflector. Not expensive $25 or so in the US and
    works wonders. A helluva lot easier to use than folded cardboard.
    Requires a head that can go vertical though. If your flash doesn't
    there are a number of diffusers on the market. Oh yes, experiment
    before the event.

    Tom

    tomm101, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Don

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Get a Lumiquest light reflector. Not expensive $25 or so in the US and
    > works wonders. A helluva lot easier to use than folded cardboard.
    > Requires a head that can go vertical though. If your flash doesn't
    > there are a number of diffusers on the market. Oh yes, experiment
    > before the event.
    >
    > Tom

    I made a reflector out of the side of a bleach bottle that works really well.
    I used a hair dryer to warm the plastic and remove the curve in it.

    The inside of the white plastic is not real shiny, and it reflect a nice
    diffused white light!

    I attatch it with velcro dots (the one I use on my Sony Flash I attatch with
    a rubber band).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    Jim and others. Thanks for the comments and the link.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Mar 30, 2005