Advice sought: strange effects...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick Hopton, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few
    reservations about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was
    out walking along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test
    shots under difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees
    with shade and water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange
    effects and I wonder what might have caused this.

    The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG

    A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG

    The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt

    Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    forward.

    Regards,
    Nick.
    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England
    Nick Hopton, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Nick Hopton

    GB Guest

    Nick Hopton wrote:
    > A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    > bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few
    > reservations about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was
    > out walking along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test
    > shots under difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees
    > with shade and water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange
    > effects and I wonder what might have caused this.
    >
    > The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >
    > A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG
    >
    > The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt
    >
    > Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    > interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    > forward.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nick.

    Your EXIF data shows no real problem. The quality setting shows as a
    "3". Is that the highest quality setting? I assume from the pixel
    dimensions that it is. The sun may have been too direct. Try bracketing
    your exposures as underexposing this might have helped. A polorizer
    filter (if the camera accepts filters) might also have helped.

    Gary
    GB, Nov 19, 2005

  3. On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:39:41 -0500, in rec.photo.digital GB
    <> wrote:

    >Your EXIF data shows no real problem. The quality setting shows as a
    >"3". Is that the highest quality setting? I assume from the pixel
    >dimensions that it is.

    The resolution and quality are two independent things.

    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 19, 2005
  4. On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:12:40 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Nick Hopton
    <> wrote:

    >A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    >bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few
    >reservations about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was
    >out walking along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test
    >shots under difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees
    >with shade and water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange
    >effects and I wonder what might have caused this.
    >
    >The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    >http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >
    >A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    >http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG

    Looks like posterization due to high compression. If you are not shooting
    at the highest quality (ie lowest jpeg compression) setting change it to
    this.
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 19, 2005
  5. Nick Hopton

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    The bright, contrasty light in the sky is causing flare and overexposure,
    what we call "blooming". The effected area is fairly regular so there may be
    an issue with the sensor as well. Can you show us more pictures?
    Lorem Ipsum, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Nick Hopton

    Jem Raid Guest

    Wow

    "Nick Hopton" <> wrote in message
    >A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    >bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few reservations
    >about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was out walking
    >along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test shots under
    >difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees with shade and
    >water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange effects and I wonder
    >what might have caused this.
    >
    > The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >
    > A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG
    >
    > The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt
    >
    > Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    > interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    > forward.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nick.
    > --
    > Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    > Caversham, Reading, England
    > <>

    You've got your very VanGoghiser, don't have it fixed, don't even try, it's
    unique, print the pics and sell them.

    Jem
    Jem Raid, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Nick Hopton

    Pinehollow Guest

    Re: Wow

    "Jem Raid" <> wrote in message

    > "Nick Hopton" <> wrote in message
    >>A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    >>bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few reservations
    >>about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was out walking
    >>along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test shots under
    >>difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees with shade and
    >>water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange effects and I
    >>wonder what might have caused this.
    >>
    >> The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    >> http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >>
    >> A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    >> http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG
    >>
    >> The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    >> http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt
    >>
    >> Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    >> interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    >> forward.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Nick.
    >> --
    >> Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    >> Caversham, Reading, England
    >> <>
    >>

    > You've got your very VanGoghiser, don't have it fixed, don't even try,
    > it's unique, print the pics and sell them.
    >
    > Jem

    I'm with you - I kind of like it. The effects are artistic in a way. I can
    see that it might be improved a little with PS, but I would print it.

    Don

    http://www.usenet.com
    Pinehollow, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Nick Hopton

    Rudy Benner Guest

    I like it.

    Rudy Benner, Nov 19, 2005
  9. Nick Hopton

    Colin D Guest

    Nick Hopton wrote:

    > A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    > bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few
    > reservations about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was
    > out walking along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test
    > shots under difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees
    > with shade and water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange
    > effects and I wonder what might have caused this.
    >
    > The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >
    > A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG
    >
    > The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt
    >
    > Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    > interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    > forward.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nick.
    > --
    > Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    > Caversham, Reading, England
    > <>

    The main effect here is the reflections in the water of the overhanging
    bushes are very strong. I don't suppose you had a polarizing filter on
    the camera which was oriented fro maximum rather than minimum
    reflections?

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Nov 19, 2005
  10. Find the menu and change the resolution to the highest setting.
    Charles Schuler, Nov 19, 2005
  11. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    Many thanks for all of the replies. Just to answer a few of the
    questions, the picture was taken using what the manual calls 'SHQ' mode,
    which uses the highest resolution and the lowest compression possible
    for the camera. This produced a large file, 3569 kb in size.
    Unfortunately, this camera won't accept polarising filters (or any other
    sort of filter).

    Many of the pictures I have taken with the camera have turned out well
    and the good ones print nicely at full A4 size. But the pictures that
    turn out well are those taken under conditions where one would expect
    any camera to perform well, essentially, simple, bright, front-lit
    scenes and subjects. Most of the reviews of the Stylus 800 point out
    that it tends to produce over-sharpened images and my first impression
    of the picture I posted was that it might have been grossly
    over-sharpened by the camera, in a fit of madness.

    The problems I have with the Stylus 800 are pretty much my own fault, I
    lost a camera in the 'States and had to buy another quickly. After doing
    a very quick check of the reviews from an Internet cafe I bought the
    Olympus. Re-reading those same reviews, I now realise that *every single
    thing* that dismays me about the camera is spelled out there, but I
    didn't read them properly.

    Regards,
    Nick.
    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England
    Nick Hopton, Nov 20, 2005
  12. Nick Hopton

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > A month or so ago I bought a new camera, an Olympus Stylus 800. It was
    > bought under trying circumstances and I have more than a few
    > reservations about the wisdom of my choice. However, to the point. I was
    > out walking along the Kennet and Avon canal yesterday and took some test
    > shots under difficult light conditions, a low winter sun, through trees
    > with shade and water. One of the pictures I took has the most strange
    > effects and I wonder what might have caused this.
    >
    > The full picture, reduced to 800x600, is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/800x600.JPG
    >
    > A fragment of the picture at the full resolution is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/FRAGMENT.JPG
    >
    > The EXIF data for the picture is here:
    > http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/temp/exif.txt
    >
    > Your comments would be greatly appreciated. In return, if anyone is
    > interested in my comments on the Stylus 800 I'd be pleased to put them
    > forward.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nick.

    Its a simple case of "blown out sky" which will happen with most any
    camera (film or digital) when the sky is that much brighter than the
    rest of the picture.

    The dynamic range of the subject is greater than the capability of the
    camera to capture it, at the settings used for the shot.. In plain
    English, the brightest part of the picture was too much brighter than
    the darkest part of the picture for all of the detail to be captured.
    Its a common problem with digital imaging, as it was with film. (print
    film has wider dynamic range than slide film and digital cameras seem to
    have about the same dynamic range as slide film)

    It appears you were pointing the camera toward the dark area of the lane
    ahead, so the camera set the exposure for that... Unfortunately it had
    all that bright sky to deal with and it couldn't cope.

    You would get the same result with a $5000 camera if you dont set the
    exposure compensation to make up for it.

    Im not real familiar with the model you have, but you could try looking
    up "exposure compensation" in your camera manual and see if it is
    capable of shooting at EV -1 or EV -2 for that kind of shot.

    Larry
    Larry Lynch, Nov 21, 2005