    analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    school science fair project.
    EMB, Jul 23, 2009

  2. EMB

    Squiggle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced data logger with at least 4
    > analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    > accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    > school science fair project.

    Might help to specify ballpark logging rates (a few Hz or several
    kiloHertz?) and how much data it needs to record. (16KB enough, or
    several MB?).

    Can't suggest anything unfortunately, i've been lucky enough to have
    access to some pretty nice National Instruments Kit via uni that
    certainly fails on the sensible price specification.
    Squiggle, Jul 23, 2009

  3. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced data logger with at least 4
    >> analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    >> accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    >> school science fair project.

    > Might help to specify ballpark logging rates (a few Hz or several
    > kiloHertz?) and how much data it needs to record. (16KB enough, or
    > several MB?).

    10Hz would be sufficient, 20Hz would be better, anything over about
    100Hz would be utter overkill. In a perfect world enough storage for 24
    hours of sampling would be ideal which if my maths is correct should be
    32MB.

    > Can't suggest anything unfortunately, i've been lucky enough to have
    > access to some pretty nice National Instruments Kit via uni that
    > certainly fails on the sensible price specification.

    I'm in the same situation. All the data acquisition kit I've played
    with in the past has been high value stuff. I've helped the lad enough
    that he reckons he can do something worthwhile, but his savings will
    only run to the sensors and I can't justify spending thousands on a 15
    year old's science project.
    EMB, Jul 23, 2009
  4. EMB

    EMB Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > The shame of it all is that Dick Smiths used to do a kitset that plugged
    > into the parallel port and wold have done what you needed...Dick Smiths
    > are useless for anything electronics engineering related now, and jaycar
    > has nothing either from my brief look.

    I've had the same look as you and come to much the same conclusion.
    I've just found the Pico gear at http://www.metermaster.co.nz/index.html
    which might be a solution, but if I'm going to spend that sort of money
    I might as well bite the bullet and import it directly and save about
    40% on the price (not to mention that most of their stock is
    discontinued and/or obsolete product lines).
    EMB, Jul 23, 2009
  5. EMB

    victor Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >> The shame of it all is that Dick Smiths used to do a kitset that
    >> plugged into the parallel port and wold have done what you
    >> needed...Dick Smiths are useless for anything electronics engineering
    >> related now, and jaycar has nothing either from my brief look.

    > I've had the same look as you and come to much the same conclusion. I've
    > just found the Pico gear at http://www.metermaster.co.nz/index.html
    > which might be a solution, but if I'm going to spend that sort of money
    > I might as well bite the bullet and import it directly and save about
    > 40% on the price (not to mention that most of their stock is
    > discontinued and/or obsolete product lines).

    Jaycar have the Velleman USB IO boards as a kit which has 2 analog inputs.
    If you are going to import directly have a look at the Labjack range
    victor, Jul 23, 2009
  6. On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:25:34 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Squiggle wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced data logger with at least 4
    >>> analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    >>> accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    >>> school science fair project.

    >> Might help to specify ballpark logging rates (a few Hz or several
    >> kiloHertz?) and how much data it needs to record. (16KB enough, or
    >> several MB?).

    >10Hz would be sufficient, 20Hz would be better, anything over about
    >100Hz would be utter overkill. In a perfect world enough storage for 24
    >hours of sampling would be ideal which if my maths is correct should be
    >32MB.
    >>
    >> Can't suggest anything unfortunately, i've been lucky enough to have
    >> access to some pretty nice National Instruments Kit via uni that
    >> certainly fails on the sensible price specification.

    >I'm in the same situation. All the data acquisition kit I've played
    >with in the past has been high value stuff. I've helped the lad enough
    >that he reckons he can do something worthwhile, but his savings will
    >only run to the sensors and I can't justify spending thousands on a 15
    >year old's science project.

    I have no experience of this unit but it's existence crossed my screen
    recently

    <http://www.elabtronics.com/products_data_logger.htm>

    5 channels, AU$32, it just achieves your 10Hz sample rate.
    Malcolm Moore, Jul 24, 2009
  7. EMB wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced data logger with at least 4
    > analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    > accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    > school science fair project.

    PICAXE may be the way to go.

    www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/cat286.html
    www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-PICAXE110P.html Data Logger Kit

    www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/

    Silicon Chip magazine www.siliconchip.com.au/ has published quite a few PICAXE
    projects including a datalogger www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_100506/article.html

    --

    Regards,
    David Shorter

    Any error in tact, fact or spelling is entirely
    due to transmission error.
    David Shorter, Jul 24, 2009
  8. David Shorter wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced data logger with at least 4
    >> analog inputs (and preferably a couple of digital inputs)? The utmost
    >> accuracy isn't vital but a sensible price is - my son wants one for a
    >> school science fair project.

    > PICAXE may be the way to go.
    >
    > www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/cat286.html
    > www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-PICAXE110P.html Data Logger Kit
    >
    > www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/
    >
    > Silicon Chip magazine www.siliconchip.com.au/ has published quite a
    > few PICAXE
    > projects including a datalogger
    > www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_100506/article.html

    Here's another link www.nexusresearchgroup.com/technical_data/casio.htm
    Check out the link to "Casio_Picaxe_manual.doc". Not exactly what you
    are after, but you may find it interesting.

    David Shorter, Jul 24, 2009
  9. EMB

    EMB Guest

    victor wrote:
    > Jaycar have the Velleman USB IO boards as a kit which has 2 analog inputs.
    > If you are going to import directly have a look at the Labjack range

    Thanks for that. I had a look at the Labjack stuff, and in the way that
    google does it led me to dataq from whence I have purchased this
    http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di194rs.htm
    EMB, Jul 24, 2009
  10. EMB

    victor Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> Jaycar have the Velleman USB IO boards as a kit which has 2 analog
    >> inputs.
    >> If you are going to import directly have a look at the Labjack range

    > Thanks for that. I had a look at the Labjack stuff, and in the way that
    > google does it led me to dataq from whence I have purchased this
    > http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di194rs.htm

    Nice !!
    Thanks for sharing.
    victor, Jul 25, 2009