    I believe the video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that it allows zooming while filming.

    Any comments? Which would you choose?

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Dec 9, 2009

  2. > Folks,

    > I am not an expert, hence the question.
    > I want this camera for everyday use, kids, dogs, scenery etc.
    > I need excellent pics with ease-of-use.
    >
    > The reviews I have read suggest these 2 machines are at the top of the
    > point-and-shoot tree.
    > But I cannot decide between them.
    > I believe the video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that
    > it allows zooming while filming.
    >

    > Any comments? Which would you choose?
    >

    > TIA - Adam

    Compare for yourself here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...meras=panasonic_dmczs3,canon_sd970is&show=all

    As the Panasonic has the wider angle (25mm vs. 37mm), as I like the long
    zoom, and as I think that the Panasonic Leica lenses are better than the
    similar Canon ones, I would go for the Panasonic, but not before actually
    handling both in the shop.

    I do have the earlier Panasonic TZ3.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 9, 2009

  3. Adam Lipscombe

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:08:16 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

    > Folks,
    >

    > I am not an expert, hence the question. I want this camera for everyday
    > use, kids, dogs, scenery etc. I need excellent pics with ease-of-use.
    >
    > The reviews I have read suggest these 2 machines are at the top of the
    > point-and-shoot tree. But I cannot decide between them.
    > I believe the video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that
    > it allows zooming while filming.
    >

    > Any comments? Which would you choose?
    >

    > TIA - Adam

    Have you handled them both? Gone through some of the menus? Chances are
    pretty good that one will feel better or seem more intuitive to you -
    sounds like the one you'd want.

    ray, Dec 9, 2009
  4. On 09/12/2009 17:02, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:08:16 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:
    >
    >> Folks,
    >>

    >> I am not an expert, hence the question. I want this camera for everyday
    >> use, kids, dogs, scenery etc. I need excellent pics with ease-of-use.
    >>
    >> The reviews I have read suggest these 2 machines are at the top of the
    >> point-and-shoot tree. But I cannot decide between them.
    >> I believe the video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that
    >> it allows zooming while filming.
    >>

    >> Any comments? Which would you choose?
    >>

    >> TIA - Adam

    > Have you handled them both? Gone through some of the menus? Chances are
    > pretty good that one will feel better or seem more intuitive to you -
    > sounds like the one you'd want.

    that's a bit difficult cos I live in the back-of-beyond in Portugal.
    Its a days drive to the sort of shops that might have them. Maybe I will go at the weekend.

    I am going to buy through Amazon, cos they will deliver here for only 1 Euro more than in the UK.

    Thanks - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Adam Lipscombe

    celcius Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >

    > I am not an expert, hence the question.
    > I want this camera for everyday use, kids, dogs, scenery etc.
    > I need excellent pics with ease-of-use.
    >
    > The reviews I have read suggest these 2 machines are at the top of the
    > point-and-shoot tree.
    > But I cannot decide between them.
    > I believe the video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that
    > it allows zooming while filming.
    >

    > Any comments? Which would you choose?
    >

    > TIA - Adam

    Hi Adam!

    I googled "lumix tz7 review vs Canon Ixus 990" and got the following:
    http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compa...x-dmc-tz7-canon-digital-ixus-990-is-4435_4316
    http://www.cameras.co.uk/comparisons/canon-powershot-sx200is-panasonic-dmc-tz7.cfm
    http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compa...ixus-990-is-panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz7-4316_4435

    This and others might give you something to think about.
    However, there is also the tangible: to see for yourself and try them "first
    hand"

    Some factors: general built, size, ease of handling, manus and other
    specifics such as ISO (one has 80 minimum, the other 100, type of battery,
    what comes with the kit, optical Zoom (Lumix has greater power), etc.

    Take care,

    Marcel

    celcius, Dec 9, 2009
  6. Adam Lipscombe

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:13:53 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

    > On 09/12/2009 17:02, ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:08:16 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Folks,
    >>>

    >>> I am not an expert, hence the question. I want this camera for
    >>> everyday use, kids, dogs, scenery etc. I need excellent pics with
    >>> ease-of-use.
    >>>
    >>> The reviews I have read suggest these 2 machines are at the top of the
    >>> point-and-shoot tree. But I cannot decide between them. I believe the
    >>> video capability of the Panasonic is more advanced in that it allows
    >>> zooming while filming.
    >>>

    >>> Any comments? Which would you choose?
    >>>

    >>> TIA - Adam

    >> Have you handled them both? Gone through some of the menus? Chances are
    >> pretty good that one will feel better or seem more intuitive to you -
    >> sounds like the one you'd want.

    > that's a bit difficult cos I live in the back-of-beyond in Portugal. Its
    > a days drive to the sort of shops that might have them. Maybe I will go
    > at the weekend.
    >
    > I am going to buy through Amazon, cos they will deliver here for only 1
    > Euro more than in the UK.
    >

    > Thanks - Adam

    I recognize that it's not always easy. But, OTOH, you probably wouldn't
    buy a new car without a test drive.

    ray, Dec 9, 2009