Advice requested

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Sneddon, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. I'm taking a long trip to Japan this summer and I'm looking to get a
    P&S digital camera to take pictures with. I'm going to be indoors quite
    a bit, in places where a flash might not be welcome. Landscapes,
    scenery, people, museum exhibits, that sort of thing. Can anyone
    recommend a suitable camera in the 400-450USD max range for me?

    What I'd like:

    AA cell power. I've already got a pile of NiMH cells and I can pick up
    alkalines in extremis anywhere in Japan. Dedicated LiIon packs and
    recharging points are more problematic.

    8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
    higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
    July 2007?

    Good low-light capability. I understand that there are two types of
    sensor, CCD and CMOS and that CCD works better with lower image noise at
    higher ISO settings. Is that correct?

    Good optical zoom -- 3x absolute minimum. 5x or better preferred (I
    know that at extended zoom the F-stop value increases costing me some
    low-light capability).

    Some video capability, preferably at 640x480. Image stabilisation would
    be nice, both for stills and video.

    Small size -- I've got an older 3MP camera, a Fuji602Z, at the moment
    but it's too bulky to carry around easily so it tends to get left at
    home a lot (and then I miss the shot). Something that drops neatly into
    a pocket is essential.

    I'm not planning to print or edit these pictures, other than maybe
    cropping and reframing snapshots.

    Would it be worth me waiting and buying a camera when I get to Japan?
    (Akihabara is on my planned itinerary...)
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Robert Sneddon

    sally Guest

    Robert Sneddon <> wrote in
    > 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
    > higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
    > July 2007?

    Do P&S cameras really have 10MP now days? With their tiny sensors I would
    think there would be a tremendous noise problem at that resolution.

    sally, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Robert Sneddon wrote:
    []
    > What I'd like:

    []
    > 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

    Why do you insist on 8MP?

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 14, 2007
  4. In message <v5BAh.11857$>, David J
    Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes
    >Robert Sneddon wrote:
    >[]
    >> What I'd like:

    >[]
    >> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

    >Why do you insist on 8MP?

    If I always have time to compose the shot and a bag full of spare
    lenses with a DSLR then high pixel counts aren't truly essential. What
    I'm wanting is a pocket camera that I can take the picture with
    instantly and then crop out the area of interest afterwards at my
    leisure if I don't have time to frame it perfectly. In that sort of
    situation the more pixels the better.

    Right now high-pixel-count cameras cost not much more than
    lower-pixel-count units, from what I can see based on the same sorts of
    functionality.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Robert Sneddon wrote:
    > In message <v5BAh.11857$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    > writes
    >> Robert Sneddon wrote:
    >> []
    >>> What I'd like:

    >> []
    >>> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

    >> Why do you insist on 8MP?

    > If I always have time to compose the shot and a bag full of spare
    > lenses with a DSLR then high pixel counts aren't truly essential. What
    > I'm wanting is a pocket camera that I can take the picture with
    > instantly and then crop out the area of interest afterwards at my
    > leisure if I don't have time to frame it perfectly. In that sort of
    > situation the more pixels the better.
    >
    > Right now high-pixel-count cameras cost not much more than
    > lower-pixel-count units, from what I can see based on the same sorts
    > of functionality.

    But you should make yourself aware of the limitations that the high pixel
    count imposes on the image quality - particularly if you crop. Optical
    zoom or getting nearer to the action would be a much better solution. To
    take full advantage of 8 or 10MP requires very good optics as well, and
    such optics are not common on pocket cameras.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 14, 2007
  6. Robert Sneddon

    Marvin Guest

    Robert Sneddon wrote:
    > I'm taking a long trip to Japan this summer and I'm looking to get a
    > P&S digital camera to take pictures with. I'm going to be indoors quite
    > a bit, in places where a flash might not be welcome. Landscapes,
    > scenery, people, museum exhibits, that sort of thing. Can anyone
    > recommend a suitable camera in the 400-450USD max range for me?
    >
    > What I'd like:
    >
    > AA cell power. I've already got a pile of NiMH cells and I can pick up
    > alkalines in extremis anywhere in Japan. Dedicated LiIon packs and
    > recharging points are more problematic.
    >
    > 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
    > higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
    > July 2007?
    >
    > Good low-light capability. I understand that there are two types of
    > sensor, CCD and CMOS and that CCD works better with lower image noise at
    > higher ISO settings. Is that correct?
    >
    > Good optical zoom -- 3x absolute minimum. 5x or better preferred (I
    > know that at extended zoom the F-stop value increases costing me some
    > low-light capability).
    >
    > Some video capability, preferably at 640x480. Image stabilisation would
    > be nice, both for stills and video.

    Consider the Panasonic ine. My DMC-LZ3 can take videos up
    to 640X480 and 30 fps, and the image stabilization is very
    helpful for indoor shots where a flash isn't allowed or
    won't work well. It has 6X zoom and 5 Mp. Why do you want 8
    or more Mp? It is small, and I paid only $200 half a year ago.

    > Small size -- I've got an older 3MP camera, a Fuji602Z, at the moment
    > but it's too bulky to carry around easily so it tends to get left at
    > home a lot (and then I miss the shot). Something that drops neatly into
    > a pocket is essential.
    >
    > I'm not planning to print or edit these pictures, other than maybe
    > cropping and reframing snapshots.
    >
    > Would it be worth me waiting and buying a camera when I get to Japan?
    > (Akihabara is on my planned itinerary...)

    Japanese prices are high, even for products of Japanese
    companies.

    Marvin, Feb 14, 2007
  7. Robert Sneddon

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:00:59 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

    > Why do you insist on 8MP?

    Because he thinks that 10mp would be better. <g>

    That said, there's a little Fuji that meets most of the OP's
    requirements and has the best low light capability this side of a
    DSLR, but I won't mention it since it doesn't use AA batteries and
    has a sensor with fewer than 8mp.

    ASAAR, Feb 14, 2007