    I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    Peter,

    Peter Coddington, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Peter  Coddington

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Peter Coddington wrote:
    > Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
    > Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    > As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    > Digital Camera.
    > A mine field ?
    > I want to spend under �100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
    > 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    > I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    > suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    > Peter,

    Hi,
    First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Peter  Coddington

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:06:16 GMT, Tony Hwang <> wrote:

    >Peter Coddington wrote:
    >> Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
    >> Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    >> As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    >> Digital Camera.
    >> A mine field ?
    >> I want to spend under ?100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
    >> 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    >> I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    >> suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    >> Peter,
    >>

    >Hi,
    >First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
    >Tony

    I'm running a Compaq 2286 with Windows 98 and am using a USB
    card reader. Also have an old HP external CD-R connected to it.
    You do have to have the necessary USB drivers, however.

    Jerome Bigge
    Photographer and Astronomer
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Jul 24, 2005
  4. "Peter Coddington" <peter@jpcod.(NOspam)freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    > Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of
    > a Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.) As a 70 years old (+)
    > Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a Digital Camera. A mine
    > field ? I want to spend under £100 , On a digital camera compatible with
    > my 'Windows 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    > I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    > suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.? Peter,

    I am a 68 year young. I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Now
    my OM1n and OM20 are history - museum pieces. And so are D&P and selective
    enlargement charges. Not to mention cupboards full of prints in ragged
    boxes.

    I have taken more pictures in the last three months than the last three
    years. And the brightness of an electronic viewfinder is a revelation.
    However, there is an anomaly. Mistakes cost nothing, but there are far fewer
    of them.

    Go for it! But you really ought to budget for more than 100GBP.

    --
    T Ritchie (Sr)

    no.canned.pork, Jul 24, 2005
  5. "Tony Hwang" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Coddington wrote:
    > > Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase

    of a
    > > Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    > > As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    > > Digital Camera.
    > > A mine field ?
    > > I want to spend under ?100 , On a digital camera compatible with my

    'Windows
    > > 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    > > I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or

    any
    > > suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    > > Peter,
    > >

    > Hi,
    > First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
    > Tony

    HI.
    Windows 98
    Peter.

    Peter Coddington, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Peter  Coddington

    Guest

    Ebay. Just got 3mp Fujifilm 3800 for $50 (with shipping!). Get used.
    Save the rest for an extra few rounds of golf.

    Peter Coddington (NOspam) wrote:
    > Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
    > Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    > As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    > Digital Camera.
    > A mine field ?
    > I want to spend under £100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
    > 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    > I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    > suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    > Peter,

    , Jul 25, 2005
  7. Peter  Coddington

    Hunt Guest

    In article <dbulba$47f$>, amfreeserve.
    co.uk says...

    >Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
    >Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    >As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    >Digital Camera.
    >A mine field ?
    >I want to spend under £100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
    >98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    >I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
    >suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    >Peter,

    Peter,

    Start with a long look at some of the photo gear review sites. I use www.
    dpreview.com. You can even structure it to do side-by-side comparisons for
    cameras that you are considering. They obviously give you a bunch of tech
    data, but much will be common to film photography. Most of the rest, is
    detailed on the site, but you may have to use the site as a glossary for some.

    As some have said, older MS9x OSs have problem with USB. OTOH, I just picked
    up a USB2/Firewire DVD-DL burner, that came with drivers for USB on older MS
    OSs. Don't know how far back they will work, but I'll bet there are some
    drivers out there - or just plan on upgrading the OS. However, each new
    iteration seems to want more hardware to support it. That said, PC hardware is
    very, very cheap. First you'll want a CD/DVD burner, then larger, faster HDDs,
    and probably 1GB+ RAM, then a bigger monitor... it never ends and photo files
    are large!

    Hunt

    Hunt, Jul 25, 2005
  8. "Hunt" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dbulba$47f$>,

    amfreeserve.
    > co.uk says...
    > >
    > >Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of

    > >Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
    > >As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
    > >Digital Camera.
    > >A mine field ?
    > >I want to spend under £100 , On a digital camera compatible with my

    'Windows
    > >98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
    > >I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or

    any
    > >suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
    > >Peter,

    > Peter,
    >
    > Start with a long look at some of the photo gear review sites. I use www.
    > dpreview.com. You can even structure it to do side-by-side comparisons for
    > cameras that you are considering. They obviously give you a bunch of tech
    > data, but much will be common to film photography. Most of the rest, is
    > detailed on the site, but you may have to use the site as a glossary for

    some.

    > As some have said, older MS9x OSs have problem with USB. OTOH, I just

    picked
    > up a USB2/Firewire DVD-DL burner, that came with drivers for USB on older

    MS
    > OSs. Don't know how far back they will work, but I'll bet there are some
    > drivers out there - or just plan on upgrading the OS. However, each new
    > iteration seems to want more hardware to support it. That said, PC

    hardware is
    > very, very cheap. First you'll want a CD/DVD burner, then larger, faster

    HDDs,
    > and probably 1GB+ RAM, then a bigger monitor... it never ends and photo

    files
    > are large!
    >
    > Hunt

    Many thanks for the technical information and especially the dpreview site.
    This will keep me occupied for many hours.before I take the plunge into
    Digital photography.
    Peter.

    Peter Coddington, Jul 25, 2005